Opposite-sex cohabitation illegal in 4 states

Anyone ever think that some laws should be repealed or erased?

I mean.....................we don't drive buggys with horses anymore. I'm pretty sure that there are some laws that could stand to be erased.

lol Every state's got them:

Real Funny Dumb Laws in the United States

Alabama
State code allows only 5 minutes for one to vote. Source: Section 17-9-13 of Alabama Code Link

Arkansas
Arkansas drive-in aren't very convenient thanks to this law... No person shall drive a motor vehicle onto the premises of a drive-in restaurant and leave the premises without parking such motor vehicle, unless there is no unoccupied parking space available on the premises. Source: Code 1961, �� 25-156�25-158
Sec. 18-54. Sounding of horns at sandwich shops. No person shall sound the horn on a vehicle at any place where cold drinks or sandwiches are served after 9:00 p.m. Source: Code 1961, � 25-74

California
In Los Angeles, It is not legal to bathe two babies at the same time in the same tub.
In Riverside, Kissing on the lips, unless both parties wipe their lips with carbonized rose water, is against the local health ordinance.
In Walnut, No person shall wear a mask or disguise on a public street without a permit from the sheriff. Source: 17-32 Mask or disguise--Wearing.
In Walnut, It shall be unlawful for any person to fly, above an altitude of ten feet above the ground, or near any electrical conductive public utility wires or facilities, any kite or balloon which has a body or any parts, tail, string or ribbon Source: 17-1 Kite flying restricted

China
According to a law in China, you must be intelligent to go to college. Guess the guy who wrote this did NOT go to college.

Colorado
Colorado Water laws prohibit the use of rain barrels or any methods to catch rain for use. They claim the rain has already been legally allocated to the state and individual may not capture and use water to which he/she does not have a right. New Laws passed in June 2009 eradicate this law. Link

Connecticut
No hanky panky allowed in Connecticut.. A person who commits any unnatural and lascivious act with another person commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. It is illegal for unmarried couples to commit lewd acts and live together Source: 775.082 or s. 775.083

"Today four states (Mississippi, Virginia, Florida, and Michigan) have laws on their books against cohabitation by opposite-sex couple"

Cohabitation in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

isn't it strange that libs and gays are not fighting this? Seems there are double standards when it comes to civil rights fos non-minorities

Squeeze berry...you know to fight a law, you have to have a test case, right? Pretty basic legal stuff there. Bring us a test case.

one in North Carolina. the law was then overturned.

Some states repealed it because of that test case. West Virginia was one of them, there was another i can't recall.

N.C. Cohabitation Law Struck Down - CBS News

the law was mostly used to arrest someone on suspicion of another crime or and excuse to fire someone from a job

Last edited:
"Today four states (Mississippi, Virginia, Florida, and Michigan) have laws on their books against cohabitation by opposite-sex couple"

isn't it strange that libs and gays are not fighting this? Seems there are double standards when it comes to civil rights fos non-minorities

I suspect they're not fighting it because those laws are seldom enforced.

I do not doubt were they to be enforced, those laws would become still another political battle between liberals and whoever-the-hell-is-nuts-enough-to think-those-are good-laws.

One of the biggest problems is that old laws are never removed from the books.
They are just selectively enforced.
Somebody still needs to explain this one:
A special law prohibits unmarried women from parachuting on Sunday or she shall risk arrest, fine, and/or jailing.
http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/florida

Squeeze berry...you know to fight a law, you have to have a test case, right? Pretty basic legal stuff there. Bring us a test case.

one in North Carolina. the law was then overturned.

Some states repealed it because of that test case. West Virginia was one of them, there was another i can't recall.

N.C. Cohabitation Law Struck Down - CBS News

the law was mostly used to arrest someone on suspicion of another crime or and excuse to fire someone from a job

Gee, that sure sounds familiar.....:eusa_whistle:

I mean.....................we don't drive buggys with horses anymore. I'm pretty sure that there are some laws that could stand to be erased.

lol Every state's got them:

Real Funny Dumb Laws in the United States

Alabama
State code allows only 5 minutes for one to vote. Source: Section 17-9-13 of Alabama Code Link

Arkansas
Arkansas drive-in aren't very convenient thanks to this law... No person shall drive a motor vehicle onto the premises of a drive-in restaurant and leave the premises without parking such motor vehicle, unless there is no unoccupied parking space available on the premises. Source: Code 1961, �� 25-156�25-158
Sec. 18-54. Sounding of horns at sandwich shops. No person shall sound the horn on a vehicle at any place where cold drinks or sandwiches are served after 9:00 p.m. Source: Code 1961, � 25-74

California
In Los Angeles, It is not legal to bathe two babies at the same time in the same tub.
In Riverside, Kissing on the lips, unless both parties wipe their lips with carbonized rose water, is against the local health ordinance.
In Walnut, No person shall wear a mask or disguise on a public street without a permit from the sheriff. Source: 17-32 Mask or disguise--Wearing.
In Walnut, It shall be unlawful for any person to fly, above an altitude of ten feet above the ground, or near any electrical conductive public utility wires or facilities, any kite or balloon which has a body or any parts, tail, string or ribbon Source: 17-1 Kite flying restricted

China
According to a law in China, you must be intelligent to go to college. Guess the guy who wrote this did NOT go to college.

Colorado
Colorado Water laws prohibit the use of rain barrels or any methods to catch rain for use. They claim the rain has already been legally allocated to the state and individual may not capture and use water to which he/she does not have a right. New Laws passed in June 2009 eradicate this law. Link

Connecticut
No hanky panky allowed in Connecticut.. A person who commits any unnatural and lascivious act with another person commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. It is illegal for unmarried couples to commit lewd acts and live together Source: 775.082 or s. 775.083
Considering a legislature needs a majority to pass these laws, what were they thinking?
Or were they ad-ons that no one noticed because they didn't read it. ;)

In one state it is illegal to be naked in front of your in laws.

In another state it is illegal for a woman who weighs more than 200 pounds to ride a horse.

Your link states that these laws pertain to OPPOSITE-sex couples.

Why did you make this into a liberal/gay issue, when the laws in those four states refer only to opposite-sex cohabitation?

it's discrimination, right?

No.

As no one has been adversely effected by these laws.

When an opposite-sex couple is charged and prosecuted, get back to us.

I lived in Michigan for many years, and "co-habitated" with a few females. I never even heard of this silly law until now.

Holy crap, I'm a criminal on the run! :eek:

There is also a law here (VA) in one of the southern towns where it's illegal to drink coffee on a Sunday. And many other silly ones. They're just relics from the past.

Do you want the holy rollers screaming, running around & jumping up & down praising the Lord & trying to save you even more jacked up on caffeine?

Forum List

Back