Oregon decriminalizes hard drugs, legalizes magic mushrooms

1604514155233.png

I think like anything else, if you take away the penalties, drug use will increase.
Yeah, because that’s the first thing a degenerate drug user thinks about before he imbibes is whether or not the substance in question is legal or not.

Should change the license plate motto to:

'The Drug Addict State"

Yep, you nailed that one.
When Portugal did the same thing they saw incidents of overdose deaths decrease and overall drug use decreased as well.

More people entered rehab and crime went down.

Do you think drug users in Portugal are any different than American drug users?

I think like anything else, if you take away the penalties, drug use will increase.

Demonstrably false ^ And the states that have legalized weed have actually seen drops in teen use.

violent crimes also tend to drop when drugs are legal.

Most of the violence is not perpetrated by the user but by the dealers and suppliers.

Your scenario of increasing crime rates and increasing addiction doesn't play out in countries that have decriminalized drugs.

In fact what ends up happening is that the courts aren't clogged with minor drug cases, the cops don't have to waste time busting people for simple possession, addiction rates decrease and more people get help to get off drugs.

I read your link and no where in that link does it show statistics to support what you are saying.

I didn't see anywhere in that link statistics showing that in countries that have legalized cocaine, and heroin that there has been a drop in crimes associated with drug abuse. Home invasions, armed robbery, domestic disputes, vagrancy, public intoxication, theft, assaults, etc..

But yeah, it makes sense that if you aren't arresting people for possession of drugs, than yeah..crimes such as possession, and distribution are obviously down.

The Oregon gov should have crack , meth and heroin distribution centers
Let the “ genetically damaged “ losers of Oregon all drop dead

Several threads of thought on this one. First. Every single study has shown that treatment provides better results far more cheaply than incarceration. This is but one.

So if you are a fiscal conservative than saving money and getting better results is obviously preferred. If you are determined to get people off drugs than treatment is more effective. But why worry about effective? I mean it just feels good to send them to prison right?

Then there is the libertarian view. As long as you aren’t hurting anyone else. Do whatever you want. That is the literal definition of freedom. So if you are pro Freedom, you would support it right? Or not. Fuck Freedom. Obey the law.

So what is the argument in favor of putting people in jail for drugs. It isn’t efficacy. We know that. It isn’t freedom. We know that. So what is your reason? Drugs are bad for the user? So is fast food. We must criminalize it. Ban red meat. Alcohol is also bad for us. We banned that. It did not work out so well. Exhaust from many sources creates pollution. That is bad for us. Coal smoke is bad for us. And only people who hate America want to ban it. Radiation is bad for us but we demand the right to put radioactive sights on our weapons.

So it being bad for you is not the reason. So what is the reason?
Treatment is completely ineffective. Rehab never works. The entire point of treatment is to put money in the pockets of those giving the treatment

Ok. Quote the study that backs up your assertion. I posted one for mine. Here is another.

They say substance abuse treatment is essentially vital. But what does Durga use dot gov know?

What we do know is that incarceration is not doing anything to the problem. We moved Pskudophederine behind the counter to stop Crystal Meth. Instead production of Crystal Meth increased more than 800%. At least according to the DEA. They just seized more than 700 pounds of it in Savannah Georgia.

The reason? Instead of some redneck cooking it in his trailer. They created factories like on Breakibg Bad and produced it by the ton.

If they seized 700 pounds. Then honestly you have to admit the dealers for ten times that through. At least ten times that much.

Treatment doesn't work. Rehab doesnt work. Incarceration doesn't work. Nothing alleviates drug use absent committment from the user. That seldom happens. Since they don't care how they live or if they live letting them die in Oregon is an acceptable resolution.

Along with pot of course, Oregon will now be the country's mecca for stoners and hardcore addicts.

Oregon becomes the first state to decriminalize hard drugs like cocaine and heroin

A nationwide push to relax drug laws took a significant step forward Tuesday as voters made Oregon the first state to decriminalize the possession of small amounts of street drugs such as cocaine, heroin and methamphetamine. Meanwhile, five more states legalized marijuana for adults.

The drug measures were among 120 proposed state laws and constitutional amendments that were on the ballot in 32 states. They touched on an array of issues that have roiled politics in recent years - voting rights, racial inequalities, abortion, taxes and education, to name a few.

But none directly dealt with the dominant theme of 2020 - the coronavirus pandemic. That's because the process to put measures on the ballot began, in most cases, before the virus surged to the forefront.

Good. Addiction is an illness and should be treated as such.

And Magic Mushrooms are a fairly insightful high. For anyone who has ever wanted to explore the temporary shedding of ego, its a trip.

'The Drug Addict State"

When Portugal did the same thing they saw incidents of overdose deaths decrease and overall drug use decreased as well.

Demonstrably false ^ And the states that have legalized weed have actually seen drops in teen use.

Wrong!

A troubling new study shows that legalizing marijuana is linked with an increase in problematic pot use among teens

'The Drug Addict State"

The penalties haven't decreased drug use.

All the money spent on the failed war on drugs did not result in a lowering of drug use. We have wasted hundreds of billions of dollars and the lives of tens of thousands of people and did not see any results.

And like I said in countries that have decriminalized drugs there is less crime, addiction decreases because it is treated as a medical issue. The countries save money by unclogging the courts and the cops are freed up to try to prevent more serious crimes.
China did it perfectly. No police or courts or wasteful trials. A drug test is all.

That wouldn't work with some of our addicts. For most of them it would.

In Wisconsin, Tony Robinson was apparently playing in traffic high on psilocybin. The cops were called, Robinson was shot dead. Go Oregon!

Addiction treated as a medical issue in legalized states is absurd as f.u.c.k.i.n.g. to end love.

Well..if Oregon wants to go full shithole like California (San Francisco)..Who cares? Portland is already fucked.

Drug addicts commit crimes to get drugs, while doing next to nothing contributing to society.

Unless the state government is going to give away free heroin and crack, expect to see an uptick in crimes, and homelessness that will coincide with the increased number of addicts legalization will cause.

You don't need to take drugs to commit crimes.

Judge finalizes $25 million settlement for 'victims of Donald Trump's fraudulent university'

violent crimes also tend to drop when drugs are legal.

Most of the violence is not perpetrated by the user but by the dealers and suppliers.

Your scenario of increasing crime rates and increasing addiction doesn't play out in countries that have decriminalized drugs.

In fact what ends up happening is that the courts aren't clogged with minor drug cases, the cops don't have to waste time busting people for simple possession, addiction rates decrease and more people get help to get off drugs.

I read your link and no where in that link does it show statistics to support what you are saying.

I didn't see anywhere in that link statistics showing that in countries that have legalized cocaine, and heroin that there has been a drop in crimes associated with drug abuse. Home invasions, armed robbery, domestic disputes, vagrancy, public intoxication, theft, assaults, etc..

But yeah, it makes sense that if you aren't arresting people for possession of drugs, than yeah..crimes such as possession, and distribution are obviously down.
I didn't put a link in my response to you

but here's one

Over the last nearly two decades, the number of heroin users in Portugal has been cut by two thirds and drug-related deaths have plummeted from more than one a day in 1999 to 30 in all of 2016. The fall in new drug-related HIV infections has been even more striking, with 18 recorded in 2016, according to a 2019 report by the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction, compared with 907 in 2000.

Forum List

Back