Orthodox Jew Flies In Plane, Covered In Huge Plastic Bag

That is if you go by one of the explanations, the other explanation is that he didn't want to sit next to a woman.

That is because there is no "rationale explanation" for his behavior.
Don't make the mistake that Im making this a religious argument. Air travel has been common for 6 decades now and has anyone ever heard of this before? If being in a sealed cabin at 50,000 feet above a cemetery is not enough, I doubt a plastic bag will help. This guy certifiably looney.

That still doesn't make him a bad person:eusa_hand:

I never said he was a bad person, just said he was very strange and certifiable.

He is strange to YOU. He is not strange to his own people. They understand what he is doing. There isn't anything certifiable about it. He is following his faith and respecting that would be leaving him alone. He isn't bothering anyone. Amazing what concerns some folks! - Jeri

That was not about "cotties", that was about the prohibition to pass a cemetery when you're a Cohen. I've said that and that's the reason he covered himself with the bag. His Rabbi also told that he counclted with him about this.

That is if you go by one of the explanations, the other explanation is that he didn't want to sit next to a woman.

You don't have to cast your pearls before swine, Lipush. He isn't interested in any rationale explanations. He's just a pig looking for a mud fight. - Jeremiah

Don't make the mistake that Im making this a religious argument. Air travel has been common for 6 decades now and has anyone ever heard of this before? If being in a sealed cabin at 50,000 feet above a cemetery is not enough, I doubt a plastic bag will help. This guy certifiably looney.

No he isn't. He is an orthodox Jew minding his own business. You should try it.

That still doesn't make him a bad person:eusa_hand:

I never said he was a bad person, just said he was very strange and certifiable.

He is strange to YOU. He is not strange to his own people. They understand what he is doing. There isn't anything certifiable about it. He is following his faith and respecting that would be leaving him alone. He isn't bothering anyone. Amazing what concerns some folks! - Jeri

Ok Jeri
One Question, After 60 Years of air travel and this is the first Orthodox Jew to fly like this?
One would have assumed that it would have been common practice by now.

First a question to you, Desperado. Why do the Amish use a horse and buggy instead of a car? Cars have been around for longer than air travel. What is wrong with the Amish?

First a question to you, Desperado. Why do the Amish use a horse and buggy instead of a car? Cars have been around for longer than air travel. What is wrong with the Amish?

Nothing is wrong with the Amish.... it is their choice. The point being: they all use a horse and buggy instead of a car...Unless you count the one's on Amish Mafia.
Now, how many Orthodox Jews fly around in a plastic trash bag?

Last edited:
Not many. So which brings us to the question, again, what's the big fuss about?

As they say no harm no foul, the fuss is that it is a unique and strange situation.
As everyone should be aware of "unique and strange" breeds conversation good or bad.
No one should be surprised about that, people are going to talk about the guy in the trash bag on the plane.

I think you're basically right but I don't know about him being crazy. More like an extreme example of look how holy I am!

He will become known in the Hassidic community as Plastic Bag Man. I expect there soon will be personalized plastic bags sold at airport gift shops in small, medium, and large sizes, with internal sealing capability and imprinted with the Star of David.

"I think you're basically right but I don't know about him being crazy. More like an extreme example of look how holy I am!"

Why are you so hateful?

Nothing is wrong with the Amish.... it is their choice. The point being: they all use a horse and buggy instead of a car...Unless you count the one's on Amish Mafia.
Now, how many Orthodox Jews fly around in a plastic trash bag?

It is obviously a dry cleaning bag. Not a garbage bag. If it's the choice of the Amish to ride in a horse and buggy it is the choice of this Orthodox Jew to fly inside a clear plastic bag. It is inconsequential how MANY would choose to do the same - THIS Orthodox Jew does choose to do so. ........and as you stated so well...... It is their choice. - Jeremiah

Last edited:
I disagree. He is a holy Jew. He is doing what he believes honors G-d and keeps him which is a heck of alot more than I see the rest of the world doing! If he chooses to follow his faith in his G-d what is that to anyone else? What business is it of yours? It is a crying shame there are not more people like him so concerned about honoring G-d in every detail of their life. You have no right to judge this man. Be quiet! - Jeri

Yeah because sealing yourself in a plastic bag brings so much honor and glory to God. This is why God gave ways to purify yourself after you've been made unclean. He knew there would be circumstances that were unavoidable to the priests. I can't imagine he wanted his priests to look like idiots or be disrespectful to all around them both of which this priest is. He's not following Gods rules or he would just follow the law of Moses and repurify himself like God told him to do in such cases. This guy is making God look like an unreasonable moron.

Repurify?

He's a Cohen, it's different from their point of view. take that to mind, too.

No it's not,the law is the law. If God says purify if you are unclean who does Mr Cohen think he is that he's to good to follow Gods law. Where in the law of Moses does it say you can't fly over cemetery airspace or you will be unclean? I'm sure by the time the plane passes over the cemetery it's much further away than standing outside the cemetery gate's. Why isn't being encapsulated in a plane protection enough? Just because he's from the priestly cast who BTW haven't had a temple for 2000 years,he's worried about what? Going before the Holy of Holies?It doesn't exist. He may be from the family but he's not going to be making sacrifices any time soon. Seriously that man is making a mockery of God.

Last edited:

As they say no harm no foul, the fuss is that it is a unique and strange situation.
As everyone should be aware of "unique and strange" breeds conversation good or bad.
No one should be surprised about that, people are going to talk about the guy in the trash bag on the plane.

Its not a trash bag - its a dry cleaning bag. Anyone can see that.

"I think you're basically right but I don't know about him being crazy. More like an extreme example of look how holy I am!"

Why are you so hateful?

The wicked despise the holiness of the holy and the holy despise the wickedness of the wicked. It's a proverb.

Why are you so hateful?

The wicked despise the holiness of the holy and the holy despise the wickedness of the wicked. It's a proverb.

I Biblically feel this man is being legalistic and missing the obvious.
Leviticus 21 - Specific Instructions for the Priests
Laws for priests in general.
(1-4) Priests are forbidden from touching dead bodies.
And the Lord said to Moses, "Speak to the priests, the sons of Aaron, and say to them: 'None shall defile himself for the dead among his people, except for his relatives who are nearest to him: his mother, his father, his son, his daughter, and his brother; also his virgin sister who is near to him, who has had no husband, for her he may defile himself. Otherwise he shall not defile himself, being a chief man among his people, to profane himself.'"

The fact is a Jewish priest was not to touch the body of a dead person except those closest to to him. The simple fact is that if being in a sealed pressurized plane (that does not fly into a cemetary) is as sealed or better then climbing into a plastic bag. But that aside, the idea from God is that they were set apart. But nowhere does it say that flying over or walking by a dead person is going to harm the priest in any way.

Last edited:

Why are you so hateful?
I'm not hateful. I simply have no respect for the rituals and performances engaged in by religious fanatics of any stripe.

I was baptized and confirmed Catholic and I attended Catholic school. I participated in the rituals of that fanatical cult to please my mother, who was quietly but devoutly religious, but I've never believed in any of the mystical nonsense associated with Catholicism or any other cabalistic spiritual crutch. I am an atheist and I think of the poses of the Pope, his bishops and cardinals, in their long satin dresses, expensive silk slippers and silly hats, as comically absurd and deserving of ridicule.

Ok, but however people chose to live, is their business, that doesn't point out on them being anymore good or less than good, people

Yeah because sealing yourself in a plastic bag brings so much honor and glory to God. This is why God gave ways to purify yourself after you've been made unclean. He knew there would be circumstances that were unavoidable to the priests. I can't imagine he wanted his priests to look like idiots or be disrespectful to all around them both of which this priest is. He's not following Gods rules or he would just follow the law of Moses and repurify himself like God told him to do in such cases. This guy is making God look like an unreasonable moron.

Repurify?

He's a Cohen, it's different from their point of view. take that to mind, too.

No it's not,the law is the law. If God says purify if you are unclean who does Mr Cohen think he is that he's to good to follow Gods law. Where in the law of Moses does it say you can't fly over cemetery airspace or you will be unclean? I'm sure by the time the plane passes over the cemetery it's much further away than standing outside the cemetery gate's. Why isn't being encapsulated in a plane protection enough? Just because he's from the priestly cast who BTW haven't had a temple for 2000 years,he's worried about what? Going before the Holy of Holies?It doesn't exist. He may be from the family but he's not going to be making sacrifices any time soon. Seriously that man is making a mockery of God.

Are you Jewish?

Where in the law of Moses does it say you can't fly over cemetery airspace or you will be unclean?

He's a Cohen.

Where in the law of Moses does it say you can't fly over cemetery airspace or you will be unclean?

He's a Cohen.
OK. But where do the Cohens derive this practice? What do they cite in the Torah as justification/demand for this behaviour?

Forum List

Back