Our political climate and division sucks -- quality people get the shaft.

hazlnut

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2012
The SCOTUS pick Merrick Garland is a qualified and decent man who should be put on the court ASAP.

Fair-minded, brilliant, hard working, and respected by all the current justices and the Republicans.

But the Progessives don't like him because he's not liberal enough; he's considered more conservative than Scalia on criminal justice.

Senate GOP won't like him because he's Obama's pick.

The Far Right Gun nutters won't like because he put their hero Tim McVeigh away. -- I guess that prosecuting a mass murderer makes a person "anti-gun" these days.

Our divided country sucks.

The SCOTUS pick Merrick Garland is a qualified and decent man who should be put on the court ASAP.

Fair-minded, brilliant, hard working, and respected by all the current justices and the Republicans.

But the Progessives don't like him because he's not liberal enough; he's considered more conservative than Scalia on criminal justice.

The Far Right Gun nutters won't like because he put their hero Tim McVeigh away. -- I guess that prosecuting a mass murderer makes a person "anti-gun" these days.

McVeigh used a bomb, and not a gun. Gun Rights people will not like Garland solely on his known views of the 2nd amendment.

Commence the Borking!!!!

It will be better with Clinton and a Democrat Senate

You obviously don't know the guy.
In 2007 Garland favored a re-hearing on DCs handgun ban. He was of course struck down by the SC.
A SC nominee losing to the SC? WTF? Are you for REAL?

It will be better with Clinton and a Democrat Senate
Precisely! This is how the Republican Senate leadership shoots itself in its foot. They will block any nominee on political grounds while all their chips are on the Republican nominee for President, in spite of the chaos in their own party.

These senate Republicans are betting the farm on a nominee not a guarantee.

Come November and things might not work out their way, the senate GOP could see a Liberal SCOTUS nominee. Should that nominee be qualified, they will have to swallow hard and take their comeuppance.

And Hazelnut, you're right. A politically divided country does suck.

You obviously don't know the guy.
In 2007 Garland favored a re-hearing on DCs handgun ban. He was of course struck down by the SC.
A SC nominee losing to the SC? WTF? Are you for REAL?
Looks like we all have an opinion on this issue, but the one that counts is the the one that counts and right now, that ain't us. At this point the ball is in the Republican court. There is no doubt in my mind that if the situation were in reverse, as it was in 1992, there would probably be the same tussle we now face, but right now, at this time...Republican obstruction is the bad guy. For a giggle... I just heard Mitch McConnell quoting what he called the 'Biden policy' and replayed Biden's Senate objections to a nominee back in 92, but somebody also pointed out that on the same committee as Biden was one Strom Thurmond, and Strom took the opposite view from Biden and shot the argument all to hell. If the whole picture comes out, side by side, then and now, both parties upside down and backwards, it should be good for a laugh.

White, fighter against domestic terrorism (Unabomber, TimothyMcVeigh), solid on gun rights.

From Chicago, Jewish, nominated by Obama.

And we can count on the Senate to . . . ?

Forum List

Back