Over 300 Businesses cut employees due to Obamacare

I just sent them an email with an update. I work for a national company, and this has impacted over 5,000 of our employees who used to be allowed to clock up to 39 hours per week, and are now prohibited to go past 29 hours per week. That is equivalent to losing a paycheck a month. We truly are becoming a nation of part time workers, many needing to have two part time jobs to make ends meet. Whether you agree or disagree with companies cutting the hours to be in compliance, it's still a fact that it's occurring...and one that everyone was given fair warning would transpire.

I just sent them an email with an update. I work for a national company, and this has impacted over 5,000 of our employees who used to be allowed to clock up to 39 hours per week, and are now prohibited to go past 29 hours per week. That is equivalent to losing a paycheck a month. We truly are becoming a nation of part time workers, many needing to have two part time jobs to make ends meet. Whether you agree or disagree with companies cutting the hours to be in compliance, it's still a fact that it's occurring...and one that everyone was given fair warning would transpire.

Just for kicks and giggles, ask your HR folks the companies effective rate for national healthcare for their employees.

Just for kicks and giggles, ask your HR folks the companies effective rate for national healthcare for their employees.

What's done is done...they made their business decision based on financials that they determined to be in their best interest.

What's done is done...they made their business decision based on financials that they determined to be in their best interest.

Well of course it's going to be in their best interest to screw the people that make them all of their profits. It's the Republican way!

Well of course it's going to be in their best interest to screw the people that make them all of their profits. It's the Republican way!

So now all business owners are Republicans.:lol:

Yes! Companies should be forbidden by law to make staffing changes due to government regulation! And if it costs them more money...tough shit! The greedy owners should just pay that out of their pockets! They can sell one of their solid-gold yachts or something!

Right?

I hate to pour cold water on the whole discussion, but the employer mandate was delayed for a year. Remember? So anybody saying that any company actions in the near future (before January 1,2015) are political posturing and not a reaction to the ACA. Feel better now?

But I do have a couple of comments on the discussion. First it's a good thing that we are separating health care from employment. Both businesses and workers will be better off because of the separation. Second, a lot of American workers have gotten a good glimpse of how their employers really feel about them, and I hope the feelings are reciprocated.

I hate to pour cold water on the whole discussion, but the employer mandate was delayed for a year. Remember? So anybody saying that any company actions in the near future (before January 1,2015) are political posturing and not a reaction to the ACA. Feel better now?

But I do have a couple of comments on the discussion. First it's a good thing that we are separating health care from employment. Both businesses and workers will be better off because of the separation. Second, a lot of American workers have gotten a good glimpse of how their employers really feel about them, and I hope the feelings are reciprocated.

Companies were proactive and took action before the delay, and they aren't going to roll it back now. Unfortunately for employees, it's an employers market, and they get to be the choosy ones. Employees are often desperate in the current job market, and stuck taking whatever they can get...often jumping through hoops to get even minimum wage jobs. My girlfriend's son had to fill out a 250 questionnaire just to get an interview at Boston Market.

Companies were proactive and took action before the delay, and they aren't going to roll it back now. Unfortunately for employees, it's an employers market, and they get to be the choosy ones. Employees are often desperate in the current job market, and stuck taking whatever they can get...often jumping through hoops to get even minimum wage jobs. My girlfriend's son had to fill out a 250 questionnaire just to get an interview at Boston Market.

I'm sure that employers planning on laying off workers or cutting hours will blame it on whatever political axe they have to grind. That does not make it so. No one has produced a shred of evidence that this alleged phenomena is occurring and there is a pretty good reason to suspect that it is all bogus claptrap. The economy is slowing and the probability of sharp recession is increasing rapidly, so businesses should be cutting back. But I would be quicker to attribute that to the effects of a government shutdown Tuesday moe readily than a law change taking effect in 15 months.

Exactly why did all of these employers wait two years to take this action after the ACA became law, and then initiate it four months after the employer mandate delay was announced? And where is the employment effect of this movement in the labor statistics of the last two years if employers are so far seeing? The timing gives the lie to these representations.

I'm sure that employers planning on laying off workers or cutting hours will blame it on whatever political axe they have to grind. That does not make it so. No one has produced a shred of evidence that this alleged phenomena is occurring and there is a pretty good reason to suspect that it is all bogus claptrap. The economy is slowing and the probability of sharp recession is increasing rapidly, so businesses should be cutting back. But I would be quicker to attribute that to the effects of a government shutdown Tuesday moe readily than a law change taking effect in 15 months.

Exactly why did all of these employers wait two years to take this action after the ACA became law, and then initiate it four months after the employer mandate delay was announced? And where is the employment effect of this movement in the labor statistics of the last two years if employers are so far seeing? The timing gives the lie to these representations.
Exactly. It all HAS to be a lie...because Obamacare is so awesome!

Where did you get your definitions of how awful these exemptions would be, dipshit. I know where the itemized deductions came from. Just wondered, ass hole, who came up with your reasons why it would be so easy to game the system. because, you see, that is your opinion. And you know how much I value your opinion.

Hey, dumbass: The link was in boedicca's post that you threw your little tantrum about. It. Was. Right. There.

In my opinion, you're a dumbass. I don't care if you value you it or not.

Dumbass.
Right, daveman. And it was her that I responded to, me boy. But it was you who jumped into the conversation, and responded to me. Really, me boy, a little honesty would be good (though surprising) from you.

Our company needs those hours filled, whether it's by one person or two people. It's just unfortunate that while providing income for another poor soul who needs the work, it is at the expense of cutting other employees hours. The company saw the writing on the wall and prepared for the inevitable to be in compliance. You simply have your head buried in the sand if you want to pretend to believe that this isn't having widespread negative consequences.

Where did you get your definitions of how awful these exemptions would be, dipshit. I know where the itemized deductions came from. Just wondered, ass hole, who came up with your reasons why it would be so easy to game the system. because, you see, that is your opinion. And you know how much I value your opinion.

Hey, dumbass: The link was in boedicca's post that you threw your little tantrum about. It. Was. Right. There.

Dumbass.
Right, daveman. And it was her that I responded to, me boy. But it was you who jumped into the conversation, and responded to me. Really, me boy, a little honesty would be good (though surprising) from you.
So...you fucked up, and it's MY fault.

:lmao:

Dumbass.

No fuck up here. I simply responded to your post. But you are probably correct. You really are not worth the trouble.

No fuck up here. I simply responded to your post. But you are probably correct. You really are not worth the trouble.

:( Gosh. I can't tell you how heartbroken I am.

These 300 employers have allegedly cut their employees’ hours to avoid a tax associated with President Barack Obama’s signature healthcare law was published this week by a prominent investors website.

While the post is on Atlas Shrugs [which the Muslims on here hate] the original site is @ ObamaCare Employer Mandate: A List Of Cuts To Work Hours, Jobs - Investors.com

The full impact has yet to be felt. If this is an omen, things are really going to get bad!

:mad:

Just shows how selfish some employers can be.

These 300 employers have allegedly cut their employees’ hours to avoid a tax associated with President Barack Obama’s signature healthcare law was published this week by a prominent investors website.

While the post is on Atlas Shrugs [which the Muslims on here hate] the original site is @ ObamaCare Employer Mandate: A List Of Cuts To Work Hours, Jobs - Investors.com

The full impact has yet to be felt. If this is an omen, things are really going to get bad!

:mad:

Just shows how selfish some employers can be.
Businesses exist to make their owners and/or shareholders a profit.

If the company goes under because it's not making a profit, ALL their employees are out of work.

How, exactly, is any of this "selfishness"?

Formerly 24-hour coffee shop nearby now closes overnight so as to eliminate staff and stay under 50 total.

True, only a handful have lost jobs. Somehow they believe that's important though libbots just think it's funny.

Formerly 24-hour coffee shop nearby now closes overnight so as to eliminate staff and stay under 50 total.

True, only a handful have lost jobs. Somehow they believe that's important though libbots just think it's funny.
I think you are full of shit. I know a local coffee company that just hired 1500 because they could offer them less expensive health options under obamacare.

Forum List

Back