Own your own biases....

Dhara

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2015
Do you really think you're free of any?

I'm not. I aspire to be, but I find my biases show in a hesitancy I feel toward certain people when they apply a label to themselves.

I'm not. I aspire to be, but I find my biases show in a hesitancy I feel toward certain people when they apply a label to themselves.

I am afraid of dogs. ALL DOGS-----even the tiny little ones. I am biased against dogs. I cannot feel comfortable if there is a dog in the room-----intellectually I know that my sense of fear is unrealistic. I do not know why I am afraid of dogs-----in my very early childhood -----we had a dog for a short time----I was two or three and loved to play with it

I am afraid of dogs. ALL DOGS-----even the tiny little ones. I am biased against dogs. I cannot feel comfortable if there is a dog in the room-----intellectually I know that my sense of fear is unrealistic. I do not know why I am afraid of dogs-----in my very early childhood -----we had a dog for a short time----I was two or three and loved to play with it
That's a phobia, not a prejudice. Now if you say you are biased against dog owners because you have a fear of dogs you'd be getting closer to what I'm talking about.

Or maybe you're just pulling my leg....:afro:

I have biases. However, when I find them, I try to change it. I try to rely on fact, history and logic. Biases get in the way of that..

That's a phobia, not a prejudice. Now if you say you are biased against dog owners because you have a fear of dogs you'd be getting closer to what I'm talking about.

right----it is a phobia------but people are using the silly term ISLAMO-PHOBIA

Well, there is a connection between fear and bias. If someone fears Muslims because some of them are terrorists that's a prejudice.

Well, there is a connection between fear and bias. If someone fears Muslims because some of them are terrorists that's a prejudice.
Homophobia in men is when men dislike gays because they're afraid to be hit on by them.

What can be interesting is to just get curious about a bias or prejudice you have, once you recognize you have one.

I have biases. However, when I find them, I try to change it. I try to rely on fact, history and logic. Biases get in the way of that..
Fact, history and logic. So you take your own prejudice and make a case for or against it?

I don't work with my prejudices with fact, history and logic because each of those can be used to keep the prejudice.

Bias is a good thing. Making judgments and choices is part of life.
Discernment is a good thing. Judgement less so.

They are symbiotic.
No, I don't agree. Discernment is clear seeing. Judgment is putting a value on it.

If you do not place a value on what you discern, of what use is it?
You can notice what is going on from a place of openness.

Bias is a good thing. Making judgments and choices is part of life.
Discernment is a good thing. Judgement less so.

They are symbiotic.
No, I don't agree. Discernment is clear seeing. Judgment is putting a value on it.

If you do not place a value on what you discern, of what use is it?
You can notice what is going on from a place of openness.

That does not compute.

I assume by "biases", you mean actual prejudice and bigotry, rather than simply personal preferences. Obviously, I'm not free of personal preferences, nor can I see any reason why that should be something to aspire to. As for prejudices, I really only have one against stupidity. Bigotry? Nope, I'm clear.

Forum List

Back