Own your own biases....

Discernment is a good thing. Judgement less so.

They are symbiotic.
No, I don't agree. Discernment is clear seeing. Judgment is putting a value on it.

If you do not place a value on what you discern, of what use is it?
You can notice what is going on from a place of openness.

That does not compute.
Sorry. Judgement in my opinion, reifies a prejudice. It makes it more solid. Whereas, discernment simply notices what's their without adding that it's "bad" or "good".

They are symbiotic.
No, I don't agree. Discernment is clear seeing. Judgment is putting a value on it.

That does not compute.
Sorry. Judgement in my opinion, reifies a prejudice. It makes it more solid. Whereas, discernment simply notices what's their without adding that it's "bad" or "good".

That's the modern relativity training favored by the Left. I don't subscribe.

I am afraid of dogs. ALL DOGS-----even the tiny little ones. I am biased against dogs. I cannot feel comfortable if there is a dog in the room-----intellectually I know that my sense of fear is unrealistic. I do not know why I am afraid of dogs-----in my very early childhood -----we had a dog for a short time----I was two or three and loved to play with it
I thought you were afraid of me?

Ruff!

Well, there is a connection between fear and bias. If someone fears Muslims because some of them are terrorists that's a prejudice.
Some call that a "pre-disposition".

Because of our personal prejudices, we are pre-disposed to think of certain people a certain way. The kicker is, that say's more about "us", than it is about them.

Every one of us have prejudices that we act on every day of our lives. The trick is, to be conscious of that fact as much as one possibly can.

That does not compute.

Black and white thinkers are like that.

That does not compute.

Black and white thinkers are like that.

What a silly, puerile statement.

Black and white. No shades of gray. No comprehension of nuance.

Last edited:
They are symbiotic.

That does not compute.

Yes, I'm sure you walk around all day, desperately trying to keep your mind completely open and free of any and all decisions (ie. judgements). Just be sure to pick your brain back up after it falls out of your open mind.

You're attaching a lot of ridiculous connotations to words in order to try to make one different from the other. That implies a prejudice of some sort on your part.

Well, there is a connection between fear and bias. If someone fears Muslims because some of them are terrorists that's a prejudice.
Some call that a "pre-disposition".

Because of our personal prejudices, we are pre-disposed to think of certain people a certain way. The kicker is, that say's more about "us", than it is about them.

Every one of us have prejudices that we act on every day of our lives. The trick is, to be conscious of that fact as much as one possibly can.

so true----- my test for a BIAS-----is to find out what the children of any given group
KNOW about the group against which their parents express a negative feelings.
Sometimes I ask "at what age did you """KNOW"""........" few people answer.
Based on lots of experience------I will say something about the muslimah heroine
TASHFEEN MALIK--------by the time she was six years old she "KNEW"----
that she and all the muslims of the world are victims of the evil nefarious
""" ZIONIST-CONTROLLED-CIA """"-------as a bright little girl she
probably knew at age one-------who caused are diaper rash -----yup---you
got it------da "'''zionist-controlled-cia""" I have encountered muslims---of
the highly educated kind------over the past 50 years------fresh from Pakistan.

Do you really think you're free of any?

I'm not. I aspire to be, but I find my biases show in a hesitancy I feel toward certain people when they apply a label to themselves.

I am afraid of dogs. ALL DOGS-----even the tiny little ones. I am biased against dogs. I cannot feel comfortable if there is a dog in the room-----intellectually I know that my sense of fear is unrealistic. I do not know why I am afraid of dogs-----in my very early childhood -----we had a dog for a short time----I was two or three and loved to play with it
That's a phobia, not a prejudice. Now if you say you are biased against dog owners because you have a fear of dogs you'd be getting closer to what I'm talking about.

Or maybe you're just pulling my leg....:afro:

right----it is a phobia------but people are using the silly term ISLAMO-PHOBIA
Homophobia in men is when men dislike gays because they're afraid to be hit on by them.

men who have never been HIT ON----carry those biases-----where have you been ??

That's a phobia, not a prejudice. Now if you say you are biased against dog owners because you have a fear of dogs you'd be getting closer to what I'm talking about.

Or maybe you're just pulling my leg....:afro:

right----it is a phobia------but people are using the silly term ISLAMO-PHOBIA
Homophobia in men is when men dislike gays because they're afraid to be hit on by them.

men who have never been HIT ON----carry those biases-----where have you been ??
Egos. Big egos. They think they're desirable enough to be hit on.

Forum List

Back