Owners who demolished Crooked House pub after fire ordered to rebuild it

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

This is great news and a win for people power. These grifters think that their money entitles them to do as they please. For once they have been put in their place.
I am looking forward to having a pint in the rebuilt pub. Cheers !

1709047163453.png

How can they possibly rebuild a 260 year old house and meet modern building code regulations?

What are they going to do if they refuse or cannot rebuild it? Throw them in jail? What a fucking joke. The place burned down from a fire, it’s not like the owners chose to just demolish it out of the blue.

Good gawd almighty. Forcing people to rebuild THEIR OWN FUCKING BUSINESS? What a fucking shithole that country is.
They were arrogant and now will pay the price. Society cannot function as if it was some American rust belt shit hole. Property has value and the environment belongs to all of us.

How can they possibly rebuild a 260 year old house and meet modern building code regulations?

What are they going to do if they refuse or cannot rebuild it? Throw them in jail? What a fucking joke. The place burned down from a fire, it’s not like the owners chose to just demolish it out of the blue.
It wa a fire that they started and they should be in jail.

A building that was surely unsound and unsafe, before the fire, gutted by a fire; demolishing it was probably the right thing to do.

In requiring it to be “built back to what it was prior to the fire”, is it going to be required to be as unsound as it was before?

The article seems to imply that the original building was good to begin with, but became crooked due to “mining subsidence” causing the ground to shift under it. But based on some pictures I have found online of the building and interior, it looks like it was really shitty construction to begin with, and probably never was fit for human habitation even before the ground started sinking under it.

Society cannot function as if it was some American rust belt shit hole.

There is no “American rust belt shit hole” in which a building in such unfit condition is allowed to be used for human occupation or activities.

Here, we have building codes, that require a basic level of structural soundness, so that occupied buildings don't collapse and kill the people in them.

This is great news and a win for people power. These grifters think that their money entitles them to do as they please. For once they have been put in their place.
Follow the little Hitler's in planning.

They demolish trees hundreds of years old for flood defences, they demolish a Victorian steam bath to make access to a train station, and they demolish an old school to put up a useless modern thing that got flooded.

If you deal with Building Control, they're spot on, but planning are like Grave Pisser Tommy, Hitler's.

Peoples bars belong to everyone? Fuckin pinko smh

From the piece...

''In a message posted to a 35,000-strong Facebook group pushing for the pub to be rebuilt, Street said: “What you have done to keep the Crooked House at the forefront of people’s minds has been exceptional, and as mayor I want to personally thank you all.''

“I said at the time of the tragedy that the owners had messed with the wrong community, and you haven’t half proved that right.”

Which reminds me...

''In the Fascist State, the individual is not suppressed, but rather multiplied, just as in a regiment a soldier is not weakened but multiplied by the number of his comrades. The Fascist State organizes the nation, but it leaves sufficient scope to individuals; it has limited useless or harmful liberties and has preserved those that are essential. It cannot be the individual who decides in this matter, but only the State.'' - Mussolini

Put country simple...

That is a very one-sided report

Nothing from the pub owners side of the story

A building that was surely unsound and unsafe, before the fire, gutted by a fire; demolishing it was probably the right thing to do.

In requiring it to be “built back to what it was prior to the fire”, is it going to be required to be as unsound as it was before?

The article seems to imply that the original building was good to begin with, but became crooked due to “mining subsidence” causing the ground to shift under it. But based on some pictures I have found online of the building and interior, it looks like it was really shitty construction to begin with, and probably never was fit for human habitation even before the ground started sinking under it.
It had been up for centuries. By your logic the leaning tower of Pisa should be pulled dowm. Some ignorant americans have no sense of history or value.

That is a very one-sided report
Nothing from the pub owners side of the story

Enough of the owner's side is apparent, to anyone that knows anything about construction.

Basically, it was an unsound building to begin with, further damaged by a fire. Even before the fire, bringing it up to modern safety standards would probably have been cost-prohibitive. After the fire, demolishing it completely seems to me like the only realistic option. It probably was going to need demolishing anyway, sooner or later.

Last edited:
You mean the arrested suspects.
If thats what you choose to call them

You posted this story on an American forum and it would be reckless to take your word for everything

We ought to hear both sides

Thats how we colonials do it

Good gawd almighty. Forcing people to rebuild THEIR OWN FUCKING BUSINESS? What a fucking shithole that country is.
They are suspected of being the arsonists who set the whole thing off. It's also a historic building and protected.

The owners were not allowed to demolish a building that had been gutted by fire started by arsonists? That seems like a very odd law.

Even in the United States though there are strict rules re what you can and cannot do with a property that is on the Historical Register. You must maintain the historical character of the property so any additions, renovations, etc. require a permit, even such things as replacing the roof or a window.

But if the property is essentially destroyed by fire that you didn't deliberately set, I can't find any rules that say you can't tear it down or that you have to rebuild it.

Forum List

Back