Owning Guns Doesn't Preserve Freedom

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Owning Guns Doesn't Preserve Freedom - Casey Michel - The Atlantic

Studies show there is very little correlation between heavily armed citizens and the presence of democracy in countries around the world.

After League City, Texas, became the first city in the state to pass a resolution effectively nullifying federal gun regulations in February, Councilwoman Heidi Thiess, who speared the motion, shared a quote. "Gen. Isoroku Yamamoto, who was the commander of Japan's WWII Combined Fleet, was asked why he never bothered to invade the U.S. after Pearl Harbor," she remarked. "And you know what he said? 'You can't invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.'"

It didn't matter that the quote is almost certainly false. The sentiment remains: The tether between that right to bear arms and the safety of liberal democracy is as real post-Newtown as it was following Pearl Harbor. And now that a handful of cities and counties across Texas have passed similar measures barring local officials from enforcing federal legislation, the link between your Glock and your unbridled freedoms becomes inseparable. "The Second Amendment was never meant for hunting, although that's what's been said over generations," Thiess continued. "It was a means of defense. Yes, self-defense, but also defense against our own government."

Personally, that attitude, the swaggering and blustering about how the nutter are gonna save us from the government or from invasion - its downright silly.

But, one can ignore the Mighty Mouse nonsense, its the rest of the article that's interesting.

are we doing more studies....I love liberals.........they're never manipulated!

I don't give a shit about protecting you sheep from the fucking government. All i care about is being able to protect my wife and home from some fucker who thinks what I have is his.

I don't give a shit about protecting you sheep from the fucking government. All i care about is being able to protect my wife and home from some fucker who thinks what I have is his.
In doing so, what are you protecting?
Freedom. Yours, hers.

The anti-gun loons (and their useful idiot followers) believe the state should have a monopoly on force, and recognize that an armed citizenry gets in the eay of that. Everything they do must be viewed in that context.

well not having them, doesnt help with freedom.......several examples of that...look it up

XXXXXXX

eusa_doh.gif
[/CENTER]

Last edited by a moderator:
The methodology used by this quack was discredited years ago. For example, according to the study, Ghana and Indonesia were both "tabbed" as free countries. Would anyone who knows anything about Ghana or Indonesia call them free?

Studies show there is very little correlation between heavily armed citizens and the presence of democracy in countries around the world.

After League City, Texas, became the first city in the state to pass a resolution effectively nullifying federal gun regulations in February, Councilwoman Heidi Thiess, who speared the motion, shared a quote. "Gen. Isoroku Yamamoto, who was the commander of Japan's WWII Combined Fleet, was asked why he never bothered to invade the U.S. after Pearl Harbor," she remarked. "And you know what he said? 'You can't invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.'"

It didn't matter that the quote is almost certainly false. The sentiment remains: The tether between that right to bear arms and the safety of liberal democracy is as real post-Newtown as it was following Pearl Harbor. And now that a handful of cities and counties across Texas have passed similar measures barring local officials from enforcing federal legislation, the link between your Glock and your unbridled freedoms becomes inseparable. "The Second Amendment was never meant for hunting, although that's what's been said over generations," Thiess continued. "It was a means of defense. Yes, self-defense, but also defense against our own government."

Personally, that attitude, the swaggering and blustering about how the nutter are gonna save us from the government or from invasion - its downright silly.

But, one can ignore the Mighty Mouse nonsense, its the rest of the article that's interesting.

Last edited:

Yeah? Tell that to the Afghanis.

The only thing that assures freedom is total, abject, unquestioning loyalty to the government.

When are ignorant libs going to stop comparing the United States to Europe and backwater 3rd world countries? When is the last time a left winger mentioned how thankful he was to be living in the greatest Country in the world? When is the last time a radical liberal said something nice about the greatest document ever written, the US Constitution?

BriPat -

Would anyone who knows anything about Ghana or Indonesia call them free?

I would - and I have been to both several times.

Both are stable democracies with growing economies, both are free countries.

I do think France, Germany and the UK are better examples because they are western countries - and of course we know they have less than one quarter of the homicides the US has, because they have safety-based gun laws.

well not having them, doesnt help with freedom.......several examples of that...look it up

Most free countries have few guns and don't need them.

Most European countries have far lower rates of murder than the US, and without the guns. They also have more political choices than the US has, so to my mind, are also freer.

Invading the US is just logistically impossible (unless Mexico or Canada do it, in which case it would last about ten minutes), and was even more so at the time of Japan's suicidal provocation.

It isn't gun-toting private citizens that would stop a trained army in North America. There is no comparison to Afghanistan and the Afghanis. But illusions are marvelous things and some people need to cling to them for their sense of identity.

Personally, I have no problem with or fear of firearms. I do fear idiocy of every kind that endangers me and others, from voting to shooting.

Most free countries have few guns and don't need them.

Most European countries have far lower rates of murder than the US, and without the guns. They also have more political choices than the US has, so to my mind, are also freer.

Not sure about the freedom part, but certainly more means of political expression.

Right. That is what the Communists want you to believe. :cuckoo:

What communists?

I can list 20+ countries that are free democracies, and that all have a fraction of the homicides the US does. When did the communists take over Australia? Germany? The UK?

And guess what - none of them live in fear of their own government.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back