Owning Guns Doesn't Preserve Freedom

Jon -

There are some guns in every country. That is not the issue here.

The issue is whether guns are a major problem with gangs in countries like those listed. They are not, and figures on this are widely available.
Australia certainly has gangs with guns

There were 229 murders in Autralia last year - a rate of 1.0. The rate in the US is almost five times that.

Last edited:
Jon -

There are some guns in every country. That is not the issue here.

The issue is whether guns are a major problem with gangs in countries like those listed. They are not, and figures on this are widely available.

According to the Justice Department gun violence is dropping every year, this is happening despite your insistence that guns kill people.

QW -

Yes, the homicide rate in the US is going down.

Last year, only 14,748 Americans were killed. In Germany the number was 490, in Singapore 16, in Spain 290, and in the gang land of South Korea, 1,251.

So I guess everything is fine - except for the fact that the rate in the US is four times that of any other developed country.

No, the gun murder rate is four times higher, but what about the total violent crime rate compared to those other countries? The UK for example has twice the total violent crimes per capita as the USA.
Robery, rape, etc.

QW -

Yes, the homicide rate in the US is going down.

Last year, only 14,748 Americans were killed. In Germany the number was 490, in Singapore 16, in Spain 290, and in the gang land of South Korea, 1,251.

So I guess everything is fine - except for the fact that the rate in the US is four times that of any other developed country.

And?

No, the gun murder rate is four times higher, but what about the total violent crime rate compared to those other countries? The UK for example has twice the total violent crimes per capita as the USA.
Robery, rape, etc.

I believe rates of robbery are slightly higher in the UK than in the US - but much lower than the US in most other countries with safety-baed gun laws, such as France and Germany.

Rates of rape are difficult to compare because different countries define and prosecute rape different (i.e. India has almost no rapes according to convictions, but in reality has an appalling record on unreported rapes), but again the UK and US rates are very similar.

The point here being that rates of many crimes are similiar in the US and UK - except homicide.

Paul -

The total murder rate is four times higher in the US than in any other developed country.

Do you understand the difference between violent crime and murder?

Sorry, I forgot I was talking to someone who had their ass handed to them over this issue once before, yet you are still posting the same bullshit.

Robery, rape, etc.

I believe rates of robbery are slightly higher in the UK than in the US - but much lower than the US in most other countries with safety-baed gun laws, such as France and Germany.

Rates of rape are difficult to compare because different countries define and prosecute rape different (i.e. India has almost no rapes according to convictions, but in reality has an appalling record on unreported rapes), but again the UK and US rates are very similar.

The point here being that rates of many crimes are similiar in the US and UK - except homicide.

Crimes rates are not similar in the UK and the US unless you also think that gun homicide rates are similar. Since you are basing your whole argument on the fact that you do not believe that, you are full of shit.

What the fuck is a safety based law? Is that your new way of saying that you are incredibly stupid? What kind of arrogant asswipe thinks that reading a book and spending a couple of days in a country makes them qualified to discuss anything other than their delusions?

The total murder rate in the USA is lower than in other countries unless you limit it to those murders by people using guns. That is why the anti-gun side always talks about "gun crime" instead of overall crime or violent crime.

The total murder rate in the USA is lower than in other countries unless you limit it to those murders by people using guns. That is why the anti-gun side always talks about "gun crime" instead of overall crime or violent crime.

No, the total murder rate in the US is four times higher than any other developed country.

Owning guns does preserve the right to keep and bear arms.
Why don't we prosecute gun crimes in the USA instead of plea bargaining them down to lesser crimes?
Why aren't felons who are caught with weapons not prosecuted for that felony?
Why are lawful gun owners responsible for the acts of criminals with guns?
Why are 2/3 of the inmates in prisons repeat offenders?
Why are imates convicted of violent crimes freed early for "good behavior?
If you want to lower the violent crimes in the USA then start by prosecuting those responsible for the violence.

Robery, rape, etc.

Crimes rates are not similar in the UK and the US unless you also think that gun homicide rates are similar. Since you are basing your whole argument on the fact that you do not believe that, you are full of shit.

What the fuck is a safety based law? Is that your new way of saying that you are incredibly stupid? What kind of arrogant asswipe thinks that reading a book and spending a couple of days in a country makes them qualified to discuss anything other than their delusions?

safety based law= gun control

the left is currently attempting to reword it

for damage control purposes

Forum List

Back