Pa. woman accused of keeping disabled cousin chained to bed

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

A Philadelphia woman is accused of keeping her disabled cousin bound to a bed in her house with chains and zip-ties.

Regina Bennett, 46, was charged Sunday with terroristic threats, simple assault, public drunkenness, aggravated assault, unlawful restraint, false imprisonment and related offenses, police told MyFoxPhilly.com.

Police discovered the unidentified 36-year-old woman late Friday night when they were called to Bennett's house in the Olney section of Philadelphia for what was described as "an ongoing neighborhood dispute." Bennett was taken into custody after allegedly threatening and assaulting a neighbor. As officers were leaving, they were told that Bennett had a young child living with her.

Read more: Pa. woman accused of keeping disabled cousin chained to bed | Fox News

What kind of person does that to another human being? I hope this young woman gets into an assisted living facility and is given protection from the courts against this happening to her again.

Why was she chained to the bed? Before finding some sort of wrong doing it would be best to find out why the chains were necessary.

What kind of person does that to another human being? I hope this young woman gets into an assisted living facility and is given protection from the courts against this happening to her again.

the one which wants to collect disability money of somebody else and wants to prevent the person from leaving.

Only Governments should be allowed to Sedate and Restrain people in Mental Institutions, they know better than us.

Why was she chained to the bed? Before finding some sort of wrong doing it would be best to find out why the chains were necessary.
Necessary???

Absolutely. I had to tie my stepfather to a chair once. Then his care worker brought me a vest that I could put on him when restraints were necessary. The vest enabled me to tie him to a chair safely.

Before this is across the board wrong it would be best to know why she was chained. Maybe she just needed more appropriate restraints.

A Philadelphia woman is accused of keeping her disabled cousin bound to a bed in her house with chains and zip-ties.

Regina Bennett, 46, was charged Sunday with terroristic threats, simple assault, public drunkenness, aggravated assault, unlawful restraint, false imprisonment and related offenses, police told MyFoxPhilly.com.

Police discovered the unidentified 36-year-old woman late Friday night when they were called to Bennett's house in the Olney section of Philadelphia for what was described as "an ongoing neighborhood dispute." Bennett was taken into custody after allegedly threatening and assaulting a neighbor. As officers were leaving, they were told that Bennett had a young child living with her.

Read more: Pa. woman accused of keeping disabled cousin chained to bed | Fox News

Thanks alot OBama!

Necessary???

Absolutely. I had to tie my stepfather to a chair once. Then his care worker brought me a vest that I could put on him when restraints were necessary. The vest enabled me to tie him to a chair safely.

Before this is across the board wrong it would be best to know why she was chained. Maybe she just needed more appropriate restraints.

In Washington state your caregiver would be breaking the law, and would probably be breaking the law in your state also.

That is when you put them in a facility so they don't have to be restrained in such a matter. Wow! Some people.

Necessary???

In Washington state your caregiver would be breaking the law, and would probably be breaking the law in your state also.

The police didn't think so on the several times I had to call them. They just checked the restraints to make sure they were fastened correctly.

That is when you put them in a facility so they don't have to be restrained in such a matter. Wow! Some people.

Hey SFBs! Facilities have to use restraints also. That is, nursing homes. Assisted care? I agree.

In this case, it sounds like the woman was being generally mistreated also.

Last edited:

The police didn't think so on the several times I had to call them. They just checked the restraints to make sure they were fastened correctly.

They probably didn't know your caregiver provided it.
Ten bucks they have also changed the laws since then.

Family member do you have more rights than caregivers, but that does not include chains. A caregiver can't even shut a door if it prevents the person from moving freely. A recliner can even be seen as a form of restraint. In Washington State in assisted living/boarding homes you can only lock wheel chairs during transfers. You can use a lap belt to prevent falls but the resident has to be able to take it off.

Keeping someone chained up is breaking the law no matter how you look at it.

Oh please. My stepdad was in half a dozen facilities and thrown out of all of them. It isn't easy to get someone into a full lockdown facility. Civil rights advocates show up to fight it.

I am no longer willing to accept someone in this situation automatically wrong.

Hey SFBs! Facilities have to use restraints also.

A facility can only use restraints if they are skilled nursing or hospital and even that is limited. Someone like Katz stepfather and the OP, they could have gone into an assisted living or memory care, and wouldn't be allowed to be restrained. There is a reason they have changed the laws. It's called dignity.

Oh please. My stepdad was in half a dozen facilities and thrown out of all of them. It isn't easy to get someone into a full lockdown facility. Civil rights advocates show up to fight it.

I am no longer willing to accept someone in this situation automatically wrong.

I call bullshit on the civil rights advocates.
And if your stepfather was that bad why didn't you put him in a mental facility where they could properly take care of him?

Hey SFBs! Facilities have to use restraints also.

A facility can only use restraints if they are skilled nursing or hospital and even that is limited. Someone like Katz stepfather and the OP, they could have gone into an assisted living or memory care, and wouldn't be allowed to be restrained. There is a reason they have changed the laws. It's called dignity.

I agree, note my edit. :eusa_angel:

Forum List

Back