Palestinian Peace Proposal

P F Tinmore, et al,

I started where the allegations started on the anti-Israeli site called "ItisApartheid.Org"; with the List of Israeli Violations. So, you want to start at a different place. That is OK with me. Just remember, the official determinations, decisions, orders and decrees made before May 1948, could not have been made by the Jewish People, the Jewish Agency or the State of Israel. The Jewish Immigrants exercised no sovereignty or legislative authority; the Jewish Agency was an Article 4 Mandate Invention for coordination purposes --- a public body (an agency operating as a component of a government process - but not an official government activity itself) for the purpose of providing advise to the Mandatory and fostering cooperation between the Article 6 Jewish Immigrants and the Mandatory on social, economic and issues affecting the responsibility for putting into effect the declaration originally made on November 1917 Balfour Declaration.

I was trying to limit my reply to the parameters of your comment in Posting #82 with regards to "Israeli Crimes." Israeli crimes cannot truly exist prior to mid-night 14/15 May 1948. But I did follow your logic and have no problem with it. It merely expands my commentary.

Thoughtful post. It did, of course, include all of your apologies for Israel. And, of course, much is based on unsubstantiated assumptions.

"The Palestine Mandate was invalid on three grounds set out hereinafter.
  • "1. The first ground of invalidity of the Mandate is that by endorsing the Balfour Declaration
  • "2. The second ground of invalidity of the Mandate is that it violated, in spirit and in letter, Article 22 of the Covenant of the League of Nations,
  • "... The third ground of invalidity of the Mandate lies in the fact that its endorsement and implementation of the Balfour Declaration conflicted with the assurances and pledges given to the Arabs during the First World War by Great Britain and the Allied Powers.
You have to start at the beginning not in the middle.
(COMMENT)

Before I rant on the timeline, and the interpretation of certain events, again I would be remiss if I did not mention the first Palestine Arab Congress (PAC)(AKA: Arab National Congress) (27 January to 10 February 1919), the outcomes of which are not in the on-line archive of the UN Information System on the Question of Palestine (UNISPAL) listing. (I'm sure they have it, I just don't see it in the white or dark side of the net.) The importance of the PAC is that it concluded in time to make the Paris Peace Conference. The PAC did submit it through quasi- Diplomatic channels by Cable to the Paris Peace Conference. I can only speculate why it was not presented at the same time as the Jewish Presentation (or maybe it was and just was not taken seriously). In any event --- you can hardly find any reference to the PAC Cable relative to the Paris Peace Conference, yet quite clearly see the Jewish presentation. The Paris Peace Conference was heavily influenced by the presence of the BIG FOUR:
The BIG FOUR were not the only Principle Allied Powers, but they were the backbone behind the leadership of the Allied Powers and the Council for the League of Nations. And that may be the key behind the reason the PAC Cable was so easily dismissed. The PAC (viewed as composed of characters that were less then helpful to the allies during the war) send what was interpreted as "demands" to the Allied Powers. Included in these demands were items that simply could not be considered:
  • That the Allied Powers renounce the Balfour Declaration.
  • The recognition of a Regional "Arab Union."
  • The independence of a greater Syria that would include the Mandate for Palestine.
This was, of course, impossible as it would abrogate the Sykes-Picot Accords and interfere with the promises made to Arab-Bedouin Princes that did provide active combat assistance to the Allied Powers during the War. Additionally, the Arab-Ottoman included a demand that All foreign treaties (meaning those treaties concluded by the Allied Powers) affecting the entire region were to be set aside and voided. This was framed as if the PAC had been victorious in the War against the Ottoman Empire and the Turkish Army of the Central Powers. One can only imagine what the BIG FOUR must have thought when reviewing the PAC Demands (no wonder the Arabs sent it by cable). The entire purpose of The Paris Peace Conference was to allow the Allied victors to set the peace terms for the defeated Central Powers; not to acquiesce to the PAC.

The important sequence of events that are relevant to the challenge that: --- --- The Mandate for Palestine was invalid: (Short Answer: It was not.)
  • 08/10/1922
    vwicn104.gif
    The Palestine Order in Council
    • Definition of boundaries, formation of districts,
    • Grant of pardon & Remission of fines,
    • Judicial and Legislative Authority --- creation of Ordinances,
    • Nationality, Citizenship, voting and elections, etc.
  • 07/24/1922
    vwicn104.gif
    Mandate for Palestine
    • Approved by LoN
    • Political, administrative and economic conditions as will secure the establishment of the Jewish national home,
    • Development of self-governing institutions,
    • Safeguarding the civil and religious rights of all the inhabitants of Palestine.
    • Establishment of the Jewish national home and the interests of the Jewish population in Palestine.
  • 04/25/1920
    vwicn104.gif
    (1) Syria, Mesopotamia, Palestine mandates ---- (2) San Remo Convention
    • The terms of the mandates in respect of the above territories will be formulated by the Principal Allied Powers and submitted to the Council of the League of Nations for approval.
    • Turkey hereby undertakes, in accordance with the provisions of Article [132 of the Treaty of Sevres] to accept any decisions which may be taken in this connection.
  • 04/28/1919
    vwicn104.gif
    League of Nations covenant - Peace Treaty of Versailles, Peace Conference
    • Provisional Recognition to Certain Communities
    • Administrative advice and assistance by a Mandatory until such time as they are able to stand alone.
  • 02/03/1919 Paris peace conference
  • 01/03/1919 Faisal-Weizmann Agreement
    • Arabs and the Jewish people working out the consummation of their national aspirations,
    • Established and maintained in their respective territories.
  • 11/02/1917
    vwicn104.gif
    Balfour Declaration
    • Declaration of sympathy with Jewish Zionist aspirations,
    • Intent to establish in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people
  • 05/16/1916 Sykes-Picot Agreement
    • That France and Great Britain are prepared to recognize and protect an independent Arab states or a confederation of Arab states, under the suzerainty of an Arab chief.
The Balfour Declaration, while not a specific topic, was discussed in the reference frame of "national aspirations" of both the Arab and the Jewish in what culminated into a Arab-Jewish Treaty know as the Faisal (Arab)-Weizmann (Jewish) Agreement. The first official Arab rejection of the Balfour Declaration comes with the feeder arrangements into the Paris Peace Agreement, in that same year (JAN) 1919; just over a month later --- February 1919. As the Ottoman Empire had unconditionally surrendered
[Armistice of Mudros, (Oct. 30, 1918)], the matter was then placed in the hands of the Allied Powers.

It was for the BIG FOUR and the Allied Powers to decide what the best course of action was to take; and not the PAC. The decision on the course of action to take relative to the Jewish Homeland Issue and Palestine, were essentially made before the Covenant. The Mandate was approved by the Council of the League of Nations. It did not require review and approval of the PAC. The Actions taken by the Mandatory, appointed by the Council of the League of Nations, were reported to and reviewed by the Council. The Council had the authority to alter or amend the Mandate, or to approve such changes to the course of action as they may find necessary. The Mandate was not a stone table that could not be altered. Remembering that in the beginning, the intent was to establish a Jewish National Home. The protection to the former enemy indigenous population was in the area of civil and religious rights --- nothing more. At that time, they had not other special protections that were expressly articulated. The establishment of the Jewish National Home (a concept) was a principle goal expressly mandated.
  • "1. The first ground of invalidity of the Mandate is that by endorsing the Balfour Declaration
    • The San Remo Convention approved the outline to the Mandate. It was approved by the Council of the League of Nations. That makes it valid.
  • "2. The second ground of invalidity of the Mandate is that it violated, in spirit and in letter, Article 22 of the Covenant of the League of Nations,
    • The spirit and intent of the Article 22 Clauses is defined by the authors and NOT the PAC or and derivative Arab organization. There is no specific reference to Palestine in Article 22. It is more likely that if there was a specific terrirtory in mind -- it would have been Trans-Jordan, a carve-out and set aside for the promises made the the Bedouin Chiefs.
  • "... The third ground of invalidity of the Mandate lies in the fact that its endorsement and implementation of the Balfour Declaration conflicted with the assurances and pledges given to the Arabs during the First World War by Great Britain and the Allied Powers.
    • The pledges made to the Arab Chiefs were (eventually) engaged and rendered in the form of two Kingdoms that because independent. There was not other specific promises made to the Arabs. Prince Faisal and Prince Abdullah each received their independent Kingdoms as promised. What pledges were made --- were made to the Arabs on the side of the allies. NOT Arabs like:
  • President All Palestine Government
    Hajj Amin al-Husseini A Commission Officer in the Ottoman Army​
    Prime Minister All Palestine Government
    Ahmed Hilmi Pasha A General Officer in the Ottoman Army​
(PERSONALLY)

I think the Arab and the PAC did not do the Palestinian Arab any good in the very beginning by attempting to make demands of the Allied Powers.

Most Respectfully,
R
The Jewish Immigrants exercised no sovereignty or legislative authority; the Jewish Agency was an Article 4 Mandate Invention for coordination purposes --- a public body (an agency operating as a component of a government process - but not an official government activity itself) for the purpose of providing advise to the Mandatory and fostering cooperation between the Article 6 Jewish Immigrants and the Mandatory on social, economic and issues affecting the responsibility for putting into effect the declaration originally made on November 1917 Balfour Declaration.​

Like I say, the Jewish Agency was part of the Mandate. After the mandate folded the Jewish Agency had no legitimacy in Palestine.

After the mandate left, Israel was created. The agency had nothing to do with Palestine.

P F Tinmore, et al,

I started where the allegations started on the anti-Israeli site called "ItisApartheid.Org"; with the List of Israeli Violations. So, you want to start at a different place. That is OK with me. Just remember, the official determinations, decisions, orders and decrees made before May 1948, could not have been made by the Jewish People, the Jewish Agency or the State of Israel. The Jewish Immigrants exercised no sovereignty or legislative authority; the Jewish Agency was an Article 4 Mandate Invention for coordination purposes --- a public body (an agency operating as a component of a government process - but not an official government activity itself) for the purpose of providing advise to the Mandatory and fostering cooperation between the Article 6 Jewish Immigrants and the Mandatory on social, economic and issues affecting the responsibility for putting into effect the declaration originally made on November 1917 Balfour Declaration.

I was trying to limit my reply to the parameters of your comment in Posting #82 with regards to "Israeli Crimes." Israeli crimes cannot truly exist prior to mid-night 14/15 May 1948. But I did follow your logic and have no problem with it. It merely expands my commentary.

Thoughtful post. It did, of course, include all of your apologies for Israel. And, of course, much is based on unsubstantiated assumptions.

(COMMENT)

Before I rant on the timeline, and the interpretation of certain events, again I would be remiss if I did not mention the first Palestine Arab Congress (PAC)(AKA: Arab National Congress) (27 January to 10 February 1919), the outcomes of which are not in the on-line archive of the UN Information System on the Question of Palestine (UNISPAL) listing. (I'm sure they have it, I just don't see it in the white or dark side of the net.) The importance of the PAC is that it concluded in time to make the Paris Peace Conference. The PAC did submit it through quasi- Diplomatic channels by Cable to the Paris Peace Conference. I can only speculate why it was not presented at the same time as the Jewish Presentation (or maybe it was and just was not taken seriously). In any event --- you can hardly find any reference to the PAC Cable relative to the Paris Peace Conference, yet quite clearly see the Jewish presentation. The Paris Peace Conference was heavily influenced by the presence of the BIG FOUR:
The BIG FOUR were not the only Principle Allied Powers, but they were the backbone behind the leadership of the Allied Powers and the Council for the League of Nations. And that may be the key behind the reason the PAC Cable was so easily dismissed. The PAC (viewed as composed of characters that were less then helpful to the allies during the war) send what was interpreted as "demands" to the Allied Powers. Included in these demands were items that simply could not be considered:
  • The independence of a greater Syria that would include the Mandate for Palestine.
This was, of course, impossible as it would abrogate the Sykes-Picot Accords and interfere with the promises made to Arab-Bedouin Princes that did provide active combat assistance to the Allied Powers during the War. Additionally, the Arab-Ottoman included a demand that All foreign treaties (meaning those treaties concluded by the Allied Powers) affecting the entire region were to be set aside and voided. This was framed as if the PAC had been victorious in the War against the Ottoman Empire and the Turkish Army of the Central Powers. One can only imagine what the BIG FOUR must have thought when reviewing the PAC Demands (no wonder the Arabs sent it by cable). The entire purpose of The Paris Peace Conference was to allow the Allied victors to set the peace terms for the defeated Central Powers; not to acquiesce to the PAC.

The important sequence of events that are relevant to the challenge that: --- --- The Mandate for Palestine was invalid: (Short Answer: It was not.)
  • 08/10/1922
    vwicn104.gif
  • 07/24/1922
    vwicn104.gif
    Mandate for Palestine
    • Approved by LoN
    • Political, administrative and economic conditions as will secure the establishment of the Jewish national home,
    • Safeguarding the civil and religious rights of all the inhabitants of Palestine.
    • Establishment of the Jewish national home and the interests of the Jewish population in Palestine.
  • 04/25/1920
    vwicn104.gif
    • The terms of the mandates in respect of the above territories will be formulated by the Principal Allied Powers and submitted to the Council of the League of Nations for approval.
    • Turkey hereby undertakes, in accordance with the provisions of Article [132 of the Treaty of Sevres] to accept any decisions which may be taken in this connection.
  • 04/28/1919
    vwicn104.gif
    • Administrative advice and assistance by a Mandatory until such time as they are able to stand alone.
    • Arabs and the Jewish people working out the consummation of their national aspirations,
  • 11/02/1917
    vwicn104.gif
    Balfour Declaration
    • That France and Great Britain are prepared to recognize and protect an independent Arab states or a confederation of Arab states, under the suzerainty of an Arab chief.
The Balfour Declaration, while not a specific topic, was discussed in the reference frame of "national aspirations" of both the Arab and the Jewish in what culminated into a Arab-Jewish Treaty know as the Faisal (Arab)-Weizmann (Jewish) Agreement. The first official Arab rejection of the Balfour Declaration comes with the feeder arrangements into the Paris Peace Agreement, in that same year (JAN) 1919; just over a month later --- February 1919. As the Ottoman Empire had unconditionally surrendered
[Armistice of Mudros, (Oct. 30, 1918)], the matter was then placed in the hands of the Allied Powers.

It was for the BIG FOUR and the Allied Powers to decide what the best course of action was to take; and not the PAC. The decision on the course of action to take relative to the Jewish Homeland Issue and Palestine, were essentially made before the Covenant. The Mandate was approved by the Council of the League of Nations. It did not require review and approval of the PAC. The Actions taken by the Mandatory, appointed by the Council of the League of Nations, were reported to and reviewed by the Council. The Council had the authority to alter or amend the Mandate, or to approve such changes to the course of action as they may find necessary. The Mandate was not a stone table that could not be altered. Remembering that in the beginning, the intent was to establish a Jewish National Home. The protection to the former enemy indigenous population was in the area of civil and religious rights --- nothing more. At that time, they had not other special protections that were expressly articulated. The establishment of the Jewish National Home (a concept) was a principle goal expressly mandated.
    • The San Remo Convention approved the outline to the Mandate. It was approved by the Council of the League of Nations. That makes it valid.
    • The spirit and intent of the Article 22 Clauses is defined by the authors and NOT the PAC or and derivative Arab organization. There is no specific reference to Palestine in Article 22. It is more likely that if there was a specific terrirtory in mind -- it would have been Trans-Jordan, a carve-out and set aside for the promises made the the Bedouin Chiefs.
    • The pledges made to the Arab Chiefs were (eventually) engaged and rendered in the form of two Kingdoms that because independent. There was not other specific promises made to the Arabs. Prince Faisal and Prince Abdullah each received their independent Kingdoms as promised. What pledges were made --- were made to the Arabs on the side of the allies. NOT Arabs like:
(PERSONALLY)

I think the Arab and the PAC did not do the Palestinian Arab any good in the very beginning by attempting to make demands of the Allied Powers.

Most Respectfully,
R

That is OK with me. Just remember, the official determinations, decisions, orders and decrees made before May 1948, could not have been made by the Jewish People, the Jewish Agency or the State of Israel.​

Of course that is not true.

Following rejection by the Ottoman authorities of his ideas, Herzl approached the British, German, Belgian and Italian Governments and such far-flung locations as Cyprus, East Africa and the Congo were considered, but did not materialize. The creation of a Jewish State in Palestine became the avowed aim of zionism, zealously pressed by Dr. Chaim Weizmann when he came to head the movement. - See more at: The Origins and Evolution of the Palestine Problem - CEIRPP DPR study part I 1917-1947 30 June 1978

The Zionists were all over the place trying to sell their colonial project.

Similarly, a number of Jewish organizations such as the Colonisation Department of the Zionist Organization, financed by the Keren ha-Yesod, were actively engaged in acquisition of land both for individual immigrant families as well as for the Yishuv or Jewish settlements. - See more at: The Origins and Evolution of the Palestine Problem - CEIRPP DPR study part I 1917-1947 30 June 1978

"The Zionists were all over the place trying to sell their colonial project"

This 'colonial project' exists only in the minds of pro Palestinians.

P F Tinmore, et al,

(COMMENT)

• 08/10/1922
    vwicn104.gif
  • 07/24/1922
    vwicn104.gif
    Mandate for Palestine
    • Approved by LoN
  • 04/25/1920
    vwicn104.gif
  • 04/28/1919
    vwicn104.gif
  • 11/02/1917
    vwicn104.gif
    Balfour Declaration

(PERSONALLY)

Most Respectfully,
R
An appendix to the memorandum notes:

• "The whole of Palestine ... lies within the limits which His Majesty's Government have pledged themselves to Sherif Husain that they will recognize and uphold the independence of the Arabs."

Professor Arnold J. Toynbee, who dealt with the Palestine question as a member of the British Foreign Office at the time of the Peace Conference, wrote in 1968:

• "... as I interpret the Hussein-McMahon correspondence, Palestine had not been excepted by the British Government from the area in which they had pledged themselves to King Hussein to recognize and support Arab independence. The Palestinian Arabs could therefore reasonably assume that Britain was pledged to prepare Palestine for becoming an independent Arab state." 8/

These acknowledgements that the British Government had not possessed the right "to dispose of Palestine" appeared decades after the commitments to the Arabs not only had been infringed by the Sykes-Picot agreement but, in disregard of the inherent rights and the wishes of the Palestinian people,... - See more at: The Origins and Evolution of the Palestine Problem - CEIRPP DPR study part I 1917-1947 30 June 1978

P F Tinmore, et al,

(COMMENT)

• 08/10/1922
    vwicn104.gif
  • 07/24/1922
    vwicn104.gif
    Mandate for Palestine
    • Approved by LoN
  • 04/25/1920
    vwicn104.gif
  • 04/28/1919
    vwicn104.gif
  • 11/02/1917
    vwicn104.gif
    Balfour Declaration

(PERSONALLY)

Most Respectfully,
R

That is OK with me. Just remember, the official determinations, decisions, orders and decrees made before May 1948, could not have been made by the Jewish People, the Jewish Agency or the State of Israel.​

Following rejection by the Ottoman authorities of his ideas, Herzl approached the British, German, Belgian and Italian Governments and such far-flung locations as Cyprus, East Africa and the Congo were considered, but did not materialize. The creation of a Jewish State in Palestine became the avowed aim of zionism, zealously pressed by Dr. Chaim Weizmann when he came to head the movement. - See more at: The Origins and Evolution of the Palestine Problem - CEIRPP DPR study part I 1917-1947 30 June 1978

Similarly, a number of Jewish organizations such as the Colonisation Department of the Zionist Organization, financed by the Keren ha-Yesod, were actively engaged in acquisition of land both for individual immigrant families as well as for the Yishuv or Jewish settlements. - See more at: The Origins and Evolution of the Palestine Problem - CEIRPP DPR study part I 1917-1947 30 June 1978

The Zionist Organization was to use the assurances for "a national home for the Jewish people" to press its plans for the colonization of Palestine on the basis of the Balfour Declaration and its implementation through the League of Nations Mandates System. The Palestinian people were to resist these efforts, since their fundamental political right to self-determination had been denied, and their land was to become the object of colonization from abroad during the period it was under a League of Nations Mandate. - See more at: The Origins and Evolution of the Palestine Problem - CEIRPP DPR study part I 1917-1947 30 June 1978

P F Tinmore, et al,

(COMMENT)

• 08/10/1922
    vwicn104.gif
  • 07/24/1922
    vwicn104.gif
    Mandate for Palestine
    • Approved by LoN
  • 04/25/1920
    vwicn104.gif
  • 04/28/1919
    vwicn104.gif
  • 11/02/1917
    vwicn104.gif
    Balfour Declaration

(PERSONALLY)

Most Respectfully,
R

The Zionist Organization was to use the assurances for "a national home for the Jewish people" to press its plans for the colonization of Palestine on the basis of the Balfour Declaration and its implementation through the League of Nations Mandates System. The Palestinian people were to resist these efforts, since their fundamental political right to self-determination had been denied, and their land was to become the object of colonization from abroad during the period it was under a League of Nations Mandate. - See more at: The Origins and Evolution of the Palestine Problem - CEIRPP DPR study part I 1917-1947 30 June 1978

What colonization? Israel declared independence on the land allocated to her in the partition plan, the SAME WAY the so called 'Palestinians' did so in 1988.

You're making no sense

P F Tinmore, et al,

(COMMENT)

• 08/10/1922
    vwicn104.gif
  • 07/24/1922
    vwicn104.gif
    Mandate for Palestine
    • Approved by LoN
  • 04/25/1920
    vwicn104.gif
  • 04/28/1919
    vwicn104.gif
  • 11/02/1917
    vwicn104.gif
    Balfour Declaration

(PERSONALLY)

Most Respectfully,
R

What colonization? Israel declared independence on the land allocated to her in the partition plan, the SAME WAY the so called 'Palestinians' did so in 1988.

You're making no sense
Israeli say so.

:link::link:

P F Tinmore, et al,

(COMMENT)

• 08/10/1922
    vwicn104.gif
  • 07/24/1922
    vwicn104.gif
    Mandate for Palestine
    • Approved by LoN
  • 04/25/1920
    vwicn104.gif
  • 04/28/1919
    vwicn104.gif
  • 11/02/1917
    vwicn104.gif
    Balfour Declaration

(PERSONALLY)

Most Respectfully,
R

You're making no sense
Israeli say so.

Israeli say so ? What's wrong with you ?
Do you have any idea how many times you asked me for a link for the same thing. I have provided links for you you 10000 times, yet you refuse to admit you're wrong.

Just the other day, you said that the partition plan did not allocate land. I proceeded to provide you with about 15 links that said otherwise.

You're making no sense
Israeli say so.

Do you have any idea how many times you asked me for a link for the same thing. I have provided links for you you 10000 times, yet you refuse to admit you're wrong.

Just the other day, you said that the partition plan did not allocate land. I proceeded to provide you with about 15 links that said otherwise.

You're making no sense
Israeli say so.

Rocco and I have both provided you with links for everything said in my post. You keep using the same trick, but it doesn't work on me.

You're making no sense
Israeli say so.

Which part of "We have provided you with links many many times' do you not understand ?

Which specific part of my post do you need a link for ?

From your link.

On 29 November 1947, the U.N. General Assembly adopted a resolution recommending the adoption and implementation of the Plan as Resolution 181(II).[2]

The partition plan was not implemented.[11]

In 1947 it wasn't, no.

But:

This Palestinian Declaration of Independence explicitly accepted the UN General Assembly’s Partition Resolution 181(II) of 1947, which called for the creation of a Jewish state and an Arab state in the former Mandate for Palestine,

Today, the acceptance of the Partition Resolution in their actual Declaration of Independence

http://www.globalresearch.ca/palestine-independence-day-24-years-ago-november-15-1988/5311883

You're making no sense
Israeli say so.

Here's yer links Tinmore.

P F Tinmore, et al,

The "CEIRPP DPR study part I 1917-1947 30 June 1978" is a study that is more than 30 years after the fact and a summation of events.

That is OK with me. Just remember, the official determinations, decisions, orders and decrees made before May 1948, could not have been made by the Jewish People, the Jewish Agency or the State of Israel.

(COMMENT)

I'll say it once more: the official determinations, decisions, orders and decrees made before May 1948, could not have been made by the Jewish People, the Jewish Agency or the State of Israel.
  • The Jewish People/Immigrants exercised no sovereignty or legislative authority;
  • The Jewish Agency was an Article 4 Mandate Invention for coordination purposes --- a public body (an agency operating as a component of a government process - but not an official government activity itself) for the purpose of providing advise to the Mandatory and fostering cooperation between the Article 6 Jewish Immigrants and the Mandatory on social, economic and issues affecting the responsibility for putting into effect the declaration originally made on November 1917 Balfour Declaration.
  • The State of Israel had not been constituted yet.
All the various parties (Arab - Jewish - Royals - Belligerents) to the "Question on Palestine" play politics and lobby in an attempt to influence decisions made by the sovereigns, the representatives of the Allied Powers/Central Powers, member sitting on the League Council, and (of course) the Mandatory Governments. This does not mean that the lobbyist (Arab or Jewish) has any kind of decision making authority. Most lobbyist have, in their arsenal, public-relations campaigns to influence public opinion; and develop access to influential official to present their complex proposals. Prince Faisal (Allied Arabs), Chaim Weizmann (Jewish Representative), Aref al-Dajani (Palestine Arab Congress) all used various lobbying techniques to promote their political agenda.

The fact that the Theodor Herzl lobbied the Jewish position with all levels doesn't mean he did anything different from the other politicos or had more influence. He might have been more successful. Or, the decision maker may have already made their decision.

Most Respectfully,
R

P F Tinmore, et al,

You really make me laugh.

From your link.

On 29 November 1947, the U.N. General Assembly adopted a resolution recommending the adoption and implementation of the Plan as Resolution 181(II).[2]

The partition plan was not implemented.[11]
(COMMENT)

The academic and unofficial interpretation by Dr Itzhak Galnoor PhD (1995) (a political science Professor at the Hebrew University, associated with the Jerusalem "Van Leer Institute" Think Tank) [The Partition of Palestine: Decision Crossroads in the Zionist Movement. SUNY Press. pp. 289–. ISBN 978-0-7914-2193-2. Retrieved 3 July2012] is not the "official" interpretation. The "Official" UN Interpretation was made by a Department of Public Information Press and Publications Bureau Release.

THE UN PALESTINE COMMISSION said:
During today's brief meeting, Dr. Eduardo Morgan (Panama) said that this resolution of the Assembly merely "relieves responsibility. The Commission has not been dissolved. In fact the resolution of last November 29 has been implemented." SOURCE: Press Release PAL/169 17 May 1948

There are many academicians and pro-Palestinians that believe that the General Assembly Resolution 181(II) required the agreement by BOTH the Arab's and the Jewish had to accept. But the Resolution is quite clear.

PART - I Future Constitution of Palestine --- A/RES/181 said:
F. ADMISSION TO MEMBERSHIP IN THE UNITED NATIONS​
When the independence of either the Arab or the Jewish State as envisaged in this plan has become effective and the declaration and undertaking, as envisaged in this plan, have been signed by either of them, sympathetic consideration should be given to its application for admission to membership in the United Nations in accordance with Article 4 of the Charter of the United Nations.

The confusion comes in --- when people interpret "implemented" to mean something that is not stated. The "implementation" refers to that party that "accepts" (the either part). In that the Resolution is an "Offer and Acceptance" issued independently to both parties. The acceptance is mutual exclusive to the option taken by the other party. One party cannot withhold the right of self-determination to the other party merely by their rejection. The "rejection" is a negative form of self-determination.

But make no mistake. In terms of the UN, the 1947 Resolution was active in 1947 when the Israelis accepted, in 1948 when the Israelis Declared Independence, in 1988 when the Palestinians Declared Independence, and in 2012 when the status of the State of Palestine was upgraded.

Most Respectfully,
R

P F Tinmore, et al,

Your timeline is at fault again.

An appendix to the memorandum notes:

• "The whole of Palestine ... lies within the limits which His Majesty's Government have pledged themselves to Sherif Husain that they will recognize and uphold the independence of the Arabs."

Professor Arnold J. Toynbee, who dealt with the Palestine question as a member of the British Foreign Office at the time of the Peace Conference, wrote in 1968:

• "... as I interpret the Hussein-McMahon correspondence, Palestine had not been excepted by the British Government from the area in which they had pledged themselves to King Hussein to recognize and support Arab independence. The Palestinian Arabs could therefore reasonably assume that Britain was pledged to prepare Palestine for becoming an independent Arab state." 8/

These acknowledgements that the British Government had not possessed the right "to dispose of Palestine" appeared decades after the commitments to the Arabs not only had been infringed by the Sykes-Picot agreement but, in disregard of the inherent rights and the wishes of the Palestinian people,... - See more at: The Origins and Evolution of the Palestine Problem - CEIRPP DPR study part I 1917-1947 30 June 1978

(COMMENT)

The Hussein-McMahon Correspondence took place that between mid-1915 and early 1916. Remember, as I said before, the Sharif of Mecca, Hussein bin Ali, was the King of the Hashemite Bedouins; NOT the Arab Palestinians. (Two different groups of Arab.) What ever was the impression the Sharif of Mecca might have been given, it is mutually exclusive to what the Arab Palestinians (not aligned with Allied Forces) might have had expected.

It is also important to note that the January 1916 end to the Hussein-McMahon Correspondence comes four months before the Sykes-Picot Agreement and nearly two-years before the Balfour Declaration.
  • 11/02/1917
    vwicn104.gif
    Balfour Declaration
Whatever you may derive from the these little CEIRPP excerpts, in this case, the two sons of the Sharif of Mecca, received their kingdoms as promised. The 1922 Article 25 in the Mandate for Palestine, partitions the territory west of the Jordan for Emir Abdullah and the future Kingdom --- Transjordan with an Anglo-Trans-Jordanian Treaty. The Emir Faisal became King of Syria; and as a result of a political dispute (related to the Sykes-Picot Treaty) Emir Faisal had to transfer his flag and became King of Iraq.

Most Respectfully,
R

Rocco, you keep dancing around the most important facts.

The demise of the Ottoman Empire, in fact, 'resolved' the Eastern question. Yet while Britain and France inherited the political controls they significantly did not annex Near and Middle East territory outright.

The establishment of a national home for an alien people in that country was a violation of the legitimate and fundamental rights of the inhabitants. The League of Nations did not possess the power, any more than the British Government did, to dispose of Palestine, or to grant to the Jews any political or territorial rights in that country. - See more at: The Origins and Evolution of the Palestine Problem - CEIRPP DPR study part I 1917-1947 30 June 1978

The right to territorial integrity, mentioned as a pre-existing Palestinian right in subsequent UN resolutions, was already implied in post WWI treaties. There are several other laws that back up the right to territorial integrity.

You yourself stated previously that the land was not up for grabs. You did not mention, however, whose land was not up for grabs.

The demise of the Ottoman Empire, in fact, 'resolved' the Eastern question. Yet while Britain and France inherited the political controls they significantly did not annex Near and Middle East territory outright.

The establishment of a national home for an alien people in that country was a violation of the legitimate and fundamental rights of the inhabitants. The League of Nations did not possess the power, any more than the British Government did, to dispose of Palestine, or to grant to the Jews any political or territorial rights in that country. - See more at: The Origins and Evolution of the Palestine Problem - CEIRPP DPR study part I 1917-1947 30 June 1978

The right to territorial integrity, mentioned as a pre-existing Palestinian right in subsequent UN resolutions, was already implied in post WWI treaties. There are several other laws that back up the right to territorial integrity.

You yourself stated previously that the land was not up for grabs. You did not mention, however, whose land was not up for grabs.

Want peace? Help us find some way to get Israel to provide some incentive to the surrounding Arab countries to grant the Palestinian squatters a right of return back to their native homelands. LET THERE BE PEACE ALREADY!

P F Tinmore, et al,

So you say. In 1918, the Ottoman Empire unconditionally surrendered to the Allied Powers.

(COMMENT)

There is some confusion here. The Allied Powers --- victorious over the Central Powers --- assumed control over the captured and occupied territory in question. This is FACT --- no tap dancing and no word smithing: the Allied Powers established the Enemy Occupied Territory Administration (Middle East)(EOTA) in June 1918 extending Allied authority nearly everywhere in the Middle East. What little that remained under the control of the Central Powers and the Ottoman Empire was demilitarized and demobilized with the signing the Unconditional Surrender (Armistice of Mudros) in October 1918.

No authority or rights of sovereignty went to any Arab entity. In 1918, there were no rights to "territorial integrity!" A country either had control or did not have control. There was no "right to territorial integrity" and there were no UN resolutions that imply (in 1918) any such notion because their was no UN; in fact --- at the time the Ottoman Empire surrendered (30 October 1918), there was no League of Nations until 1919:
Even the universe has a point of origin. What is the "point of origin" for this "pre-existing Palestinian right to territorial integrity?"

For as long as there have been countries and leaders of cultures and countries, there has been this concept of "territorial integrity." Today, we have the concept of humanitarian intervention under Article 73.b of the United Nations Charter "to develop self-government, to take due account of the political aspirations of the peoples." The contemporary or more modern idea of "territorial integrity" began in 1648 with the Peace of Westphalia (composed of the: Treaty of Münster --- and --- Treaty of Osnabrück). which marked the end of the 30 Years War. In this sense (and particularly relevant to the "Question of Palestine") is the idea that saw the fall of Empires and the end to "nations as the personal possession" of their monarchs and the beginning of respect for the "territorial integrity of other nations." It is even more important to understand that Westphalia Peace DID NOT see an end to imperial expansion or the development of the complex Hegemonies; especially since the European nations applied one rule to themselves and another to the peoples whom they encountered outside of Europe over which they spread their imperial umbrella or the parasol of their Hegemony.

The three basic principles of the Westphalia System (a pure West Powers concept) ---- and ---- the original concept behind the right of self-determination were:
  1. The principle of the sovereignty of states and the fundamental right of political self determination.
  2. The principle of (legal) equality between states.
  3. The principle of non-intervention of one state in the internal affairs of another state.
Neither of the dual component treaties of the Westphalia Compact even approach the idea of sovereignty as a "right" --- but rather as an outcome. Even through the very last decade of the 20th Century, the political position of the NATO Alliance wast that "humanity and democracy [were] two principles essentially irrelevant to the original Westphalian order." (NATO Secretary General Javier Solana, 1998) At the opening of the 21st Century, the Westphalia Compact (again the pre-existing right of which you speak) was summarized as "obsolete." "The core of the concept of Europe after 1945 was and still is a rejection of the European balance-of-power principle and the hegemonic ambitions of individual states that had emerged following the Peace of Westphalia in 1648, a rejection which took the form of closer meshing of vital interests and the transfer of nation-state sovereign rights to supranational European institutions." (German Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer, Humboldt Speech 2000)

To go back to your original implication that the Mandatory did NOT have the authority to partition and make sovereign the territory of Palestine, as determined by the original Allied Powers, is incredibly off the track. Neither the Independence of Jordan (1946) nor the Partition Plan of the remainder (1947) were outside the degree of authority, control or administration to be exercised by the Mandatory, not having been previously agreed upon by the Members of the League (in this case the successor the UN), or outside the intent defined by the Council of the League of Nations (in this case the successor the UN). The 1946 recognition by the UK of the Sovereignty of Jordan was well within the the Article 22 parameters of a Certain Communities" and the recognition of such a community to stand alone. The 1947 Partition Plan was not a solution developed by the Mandatory, but a solution developed by the General Assembly (the successor to the League of Nations). The Arabs of the region to which the Mandate applied, have not evidence to support the claim that they have some pre-existing right to sovereignty over the entirety of the landscape. They have only the right to self determination over the landscape which they can control (which is almost nothing).

REMEMBER: The backbone behind the Westphalia System, the League of Nations Covenant, the UN Charter, and the regional treaties is the establishment of peace and security. Absent any support by the Hostile Arab Palestinians to achieve that objective (Regional Peace and Mutual Security) there exists no reason for other nations to go to war to support a failed state (Islamic Resistance Jihadist and Fedayeen of Palestine) over a prosperous and economically developing state (Establish Jewish State of Israel).

Whether you state at the turn of the 20th Century, or the turn of the 21st Century, the incitement to violence was then and is now the Hostile Arab Palestinian that is parasitic to the region. They have not demonstrated their ability to --- at any time --- they are able to stand alone. And original Article 22 requirement for indiependence. And the very last thing the region needs is another unrestricted failed state of radical Islamist running loose.

Most Respectfully,
R

Forum List

Back