Panera Starts Replacing Cashiers With Kiosks

These things are going into new store design. No big whup. I'd like to see the reaction of workers wanting that higher minimum wage if these things were replacing existing checkout registers.

:dunno:

I really don't get this. I don't EXPECT the service in Panera's to be as quick as McDonald's. I don't care. The food is better and the cashiers are cuter.

I imagine we'll start seeing a lot of this in Seattle after their passage of a $15 minimum wage a few weeks ago.

The Robots Have Won: Panera Replaces Cashiers with Kiosks | SourceFed

Do you mean we would not have teller machines if bank tellers only accepted lower wages?

Automated teller machines were implemented for easier access to one's money. It's not even a remotely close comparison.

What about automated checkout at WalMart and Home Depot?

If only the workers were not so greedy

The kiosks will need someone next to them at all times as they tend to hit bumps and errors often and people are stopped in their tracks. Then people get mad. Then they don't come back. So what happens is people are hired to troubleshoot problems with the kiosks. Some people would rather deal with a person as well so they will lose business in that way as well. Replacing people isn't as easy as it sounds.

Does anyone but me remember the automat?

The one on 42nd street in NYC. It was great!

I used to go to that one!!!!! Horn and Hardart, right around the corner from where I worked.

The Automat - the History, Recipes, and Allure of Horn & Hardart's Masterpiece.

machinebank.jpg

And, as I remember, the food wasn't bad.

Or, maybe I just had lower standards back then.

Forum List

Back