Parents opt not to separate siamese twins

CaféAuLait;9001027 said:
Parents Opt Not to Separate Conjoined Twin Boys - ABC News

How long until liberals decide the state should make the decision and not the parents?

They share a heart. When they get older, they cannot both live on one heart. Refusing to separate means that they will have no life when they grow up - how can they work, marry, have kids etc? Sometimes you have to sacrifice one to let the other live. Its shit, but its life.

It would be very hard being presented with the decision. It would suck, leaving the decision to the doctor may be just as hard too.

This reminds me of a friend of mine though. She had a sonogram, she was pregnant with twins, it showed twins and after further testing one was proved to have a trisomy 7, along with a host of other issues and would be born dead or die shortly after. Additionally ,the other twin ( healthy) would die because of that twin acting like a parasite for nutrition somehow. Doc said she must immediately stop the sick twin from growing. She did not want to, he pressured her. She listened and opted to have the sick twins life stopped 3 months before birth with a needle to the heart. Doc- accidently picked the wrong twin and killed the healthy baby. A sad affair all around.

So, perhaps sometimes, maybe the parent may know better, or may not have the fortitude to make the decision as to which should live? I can't imagine to tell you the truth. But I think I would choose to have them separated as you said, at least present one with a normal life.

OMG That's just terrible. However, this one doctor's mistake in killing the wrong fetus does not negate his advice. In that situation, the reasonable thing to do would be to stop the unhealthy fetus from growing as it would not live after birth and would take the healthy twin's life too. It is very tragic the doctor accidently killed the wrong fetus. In this case, where it is known the unhealthy fetus will kill the healthy fetus, and they are two separate beings, I think the medical decision is clear.

Last edited:
They share a heart. When they get older, they cannot both live on one heart. Refusing to separate means that they will have no life when they grow up - how can they work, marry, have kids etc? Sometimes you have to sacrifice one to let the other live. Its shit, but its life.

Actually, Noomi, the odds are that they will both die if they try to separate them.

Haven't you ever heard of those famous siamese twins...Chang and Eng Bunker? They married sisters...they managed to have a life. They fathered 21 children between them. :) They lived to the age of 62. Chang died in his sleep and Eng died a few hours later...they were going to perform an emergency separation, but it was too late. The way they were conjoined, they could easily be separated nowadays. But when they were born, such a separation could not be performed.

Chang and Eng Bunker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They would both die only if doctors tried to save both. Save the healthy twin and one lives. Let them both remain attached, that one heart won't sustain them for life - they will both die eventually.

It'd be a hard choice, but I would opt to save the healthy twin.

Noomi, in the video it says doctors have told them they could lose one OR BOTH of the twins if they try to separate them. There is nothing about a healthy twin versus an unhealthy twin and that surgery would be successful in saving the "healthy" twin. I'm sorry, but you kind of just made that up.

BOTH of these twins will be jeopardized by the surgery.

This is a very personal decision for the parents. It is between the parents and their doctors. Trying to second guess them or assume this is some kind of social issue is wrong. We aren't there. We don't know. They are not our children. I think the main thing to take away from this is the hardships human beings suffer, things we cannot imagine or know until it happens to us. We simply don't know what we would do in that situation. Each of this type of situation is unique, and it is not up to us to speculate on what is best or not best. Wish them goodwill and/or pray for them. That's our role.

Last edited:
And in a related matter, liberal compassion is in FULL BLOOM!

xc4u15.jpg

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is getting married even possible for them?

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

P.S. Think about it. I already have some.

^^^ Not if they can't agree on who to get married to.

Holly

There would need to be some understanding between them. And the young men involved would need to be as strong as the young women are. So I trust that there would be agreement.

However, they don't both have to marry at the same time. And they don't both have to feel the same about the other's choice.

Holly
There would need to be some understanding between them. And the young men involved would need to be as strong as the young women are. So I trust that there would be agreement.

However, they don't both have to marry at the same time. And they don't both have to feel the same about the other's choice.
If these two girls share a body, I can't see there being more than one husband.

Holly

P.S. I wonder what they do for work if they do have a job anywhere? What if one wants to do one thing and the other one wants to do something else? Is it hard for them to be hired anywhere with them having the appearance that they have?

Holly

If these two girls share a body, I can't see there being more than one husband.

Holly

P.S. I wonder what they do for work if they do have a job anywhere? What if one wants to do one thing and the other one wants to do something else? Is it hard for them to be hired anywhere with them having the appearance that they have?

They are two people, two minds, two personalities, two different legal entities. It would be polygamy for one husband to be married to both of them. Anyone who is lucky enough to know them and become close to them would understand this, and especially any young men who get to that stage with them would understand it.

They are teachers. They share one salary. They can't take on the full workload of two people but they can do more than one person. One of them can be teaching and the other can be monitoring the classroom. They can hold separate conversations with different sets of students at the same time.

They can stand as a source of inspiration for other young people who face serious adversity.

Last edited:
^and its fucking freaky.

ZOMG

Those are people you're talking about. Vivacious young women.

I find your callousness freaky ... as in far outside the norm of human expression.

I am not sure if I would define them as 'people'. Unless the law says that a head is enough to be a person.

It is freaky in the sense that one is getting married, and her sister will be forced to lose her virginity to her brother in law. And possibly get pregnant in her own womb with her brother in laws child, which would then mean that the child born would be her own with the brother in law, and the sister (or wife) would merely be an aunt.

In layman's terms, as soon as one gets married, the other is automatically having an affair with her BIL.

If you don't think that is fucked up...

I missed this earlier.

"I am not sure if I would define them as 'people'. "

One more ZOMG. :eusa_hand:

Make a clitoris happy. Make a human child sad. Human child has a sad.

Clitoris happy. Make orgasm, clitoris. See clitoral orgasm. Go, clitoral orgasm, go.

Mr. H, you're not drunk are you? Actually, you're probably not. You're not making any typos.

You do seem a bit hysterical, though. I've never seen you like this.

Yeah sorry folks. Hitting the booze last night. :(

I missed this earlier.

I am struggling to understand the definition of 'person' now. They have one body and two heads. Therefore, a head is a person - as long as it has a functioning brain. That is how I see it, anyway.

Because they have one body, I see them as one person. One body equals one person.

Noomi, in the video it says doctors have told them they could lose one OR BOTH of the twins if they try to separate them. There is nothing about a healthy twin versus an unhealthy twin and that surgery would be successful in saving the "healthy" twin. I'm sorry, but you kind of just made that up.

BOTH of these twins will be jeopardized by the surgery.

Both of the twins will die without surgery as their one heart cannot sustain the two of them for the rest of their lives. Either way, these babies will spend a very short time on earth.

Yes, getting married is possible.

And what if one twin wants to go to sleep but the married twin wants to have sex? Can one twin accuse the other twin of rape?

People are happy to just let them do their own thing, has anyone even considered the possible implications that could arise from this?

I missed this earlier.

I am struggling to understand the definition of 'person' now. They have one body and two heads. Therefore, a head is a person - as long as it has a functioning brain. That is how I see it, anyway.

Because they have one body, I see them as one person. One body equals one person.

If they were separated you would see them as two people, right?

How can they not be two people just because they haven't had a surgical procedure?

Anyway, it's moot.

They're two people. Two personalities. Two driver's licenses. Two people in the eyes of the law and to the people who matter to them.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back