Part Time America - 110 PT for every 1 FT Job!!!

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
110 part time jobs for every ONE full time job? That is no growth or employment. I guarantee those PT jobs are at or slightly above minimum wage. We are becoming a banana republic!

The Obamacare economy: 35 part-time jobs for every new... | Kyle Wingfield | www.ajc.com

That means there have been 110 part-time jobs created for every one full-time job since March.

By "so much talk," Hall of course was referring to the numerous stories of employers that are cutting back on their workers' hours to avoid qualifying for Obamacare's mandate to provide health insurance for them. Just yesterday, the AJC reported on the various ways local employers are trying to cope with the looming mandate (subscription to MyAJC required for link), including the decision by AAA Parking to move 250 full-time workers to part-time status. Many of the Americans affected by these business decisions are, of course, the very people Obamacare was supposed to help.

In fact, we can get even more specific than the January-July numbers Hall outlined.

Looking at the BLS data, the number of Americans working part-time for economic reasons -- i.e., not because they want to work part-time -- hit a multi-year low in March. Since then, part-time jobs have accounted for a whopping 99.1 percent of all jobs created. Over the past four months, on a net basis, just 9,000 full-time jobs have been added in the entire United States.

That means there have been 110 part-time jobs created for every one full-time job since March.

As Hall notes, the BLS data themselves don't tell us why this is happening. But employment lawyers have been warning companies that, due to the way Obamacare's regulations work, now is the time for them to start establishing their full-time vs. part-time headcount for purposes of the mandate. Given the number of announcements by companies like AAA Parking, it seems logical that what we are seeing is a widespread shift of the lowest-skilled, lowest-paid Americans to jobs with even fewer hours. Which means they still aren't getting insurance, and now they aren't even making as much money at any given job

Obamacare has been a real job killer. Here's the real crappy part- Obamacare considers 30 hours a week to be full time jobs. Part time jobs are now 20 hours or less. Isn't that just peachy?

The reason for so many part time jobs is that companies are scared of the high cost of Obamacare and they either laid people off or switched them to part time. It's going to get worse in October since individuals and small companies didn't get benefit of the delay that Obama reserved for the wealthiest companies. Of course, we can't get exempt like congress and the IRS.

Both parties are to blame for this. Corporate greed.

How so? One party gives us Obama care, the companys say fuck off they can not afford it and use what ever means they can to still make a profit. Anyways I still want to know where all these partime jobs are? I still dont see it on the local job boards.

My part time people make 16-18 an hour get vacation and sick time and can participate in the company 401K.

How so? One party gives us Obama care, the companys say fuck off they can not afford it and use what ever means they can to still make a profit. Anyways I still want to know where all these partime jobs are? I still dont see it on the local job boards.

Yes. Companies are responding to Obamacare mandates. Just like everyone predicted. It creates enormous inefficiences and of course strains on workers.
But Dems are the party of the working people dontchaknow.

My part time people make 16-18 an hour get vacation and sick time and can participate in the company 401K.

Good for YOU. One data point does not make for a trend....certainly not a majority. What about the masses?

Last edited:

Yes. Companies are responding to Obamacare mandates. Just like everyone predicted. It creates enormous inefficiences and of course strains on workers.

I have been reading it since they Obama passed Obozo care.yet the democrats stick their head in the sand like dumb ass ostriches. I swear to god democrats are like lobsters boiling in a pot like in detroit, dying and they dont even know it. but still guess all the service jobs are taking the biggest hits so far, dont see it in manufacturing... if it does in the next 3 years all hell will break lose.

I blame the Job Creators....they are not doing a very good job

I have been reading it since they Obama passed Obozo care.yet the democrats stick their head in the sand like dumb ass ostriches. I swear to god democrats are like lobsters boiling in a pot like in detroit, dying and they dont even know it. but still guess all the service jobs are taking the biggest hits so far, dont see it in manufacturing... if it does in the next 3 years all hell will break lose.

It's just a big coincidence and the ACA has nothing to do with it, really it is!!

It's just a big coincidence and the ACA has nothing to do with it, really it is!!
It has nothing to do with Obamacare! You have been lied to by professionals and you swallowed the bullshit rather than check anything for yourself.

When Obamacare was passed there were 9,122,000 people working part time who want to work full time. Now there are 8,245,000 working part time who want to work full time. So it is not Obama care switching full time workers to part time that is causing an increase in part time workers.

During that same period the people who do not want full time work and choose to work part time went from 18,279,000 to 19,128,000. This is again due to the aging Boomer population reducing their hours after reaching retirement age. Those that do not stop working usually cut back on their hours.

Obamacare was passed March 21, 2010, yet the below graph shows that the growth in part-time jobs and the decline of full-time jobs began sooner.

Attachments

• $Full-Time-vs-Part-time-16-plus-since-2007-Growth.gif
    $Full-Time-vs-Part-time-16-plus-since-2007-Growth.gif
    21 KB · Views: 49

Forum List

Back