Pentagon To Announce Equal Benefits For Married Gay Couples

I took 30 days leave when I got married. But then I had over 75 days on the books.

After my 4th year, I always had exactly 90 days on the books on Oct 1.

As I thought. Non-Chargeable leave. BullShit.

Gays In Military Given Leave for Marriage Travel | Military.com

Gay and lesbian service members assigned more than 100 miles from a state where same-sex marriages are legal, or assigned overseas, will be granted extra days of leave to travel where they can marry legally, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel announced Wednesday.

The special homosexual "marriage leave" accommodation, effective immediately and allowable only once in a member’s career, won’t count against 30 days annual leave every active duty member earns.

Non-chargeable leave of up to seven days will be granted if the gay or lesbian member is assigned inside the continental United States. Those wishing to marry while assigned outside of the continental U.S will get up to 10 days of extra leave.

So am I to assume that the same will be done for the straight Service Member who wants to get married? Of course not.

Equal - Yeah right......................it would appear that some are "more equal" than others. My God - I'm ashamed of the military.

Did a little checking and refreshing memory with wife...people do get house-hunting leave and maternity leave off the books. Wife got 6 weeks when she had our daughter.

House Hunting time is at the Commander's discretion. When I arrived at one base, I wasn't even given the usual 24 hours. I arrived on base at 3Pm, checked in BAQ. Reported to the Duty Section at 0700 the next morning. Usually you shake hands with the new bosses, get the nickel tour and told to report back in 48 hours after getting settled into the Dorms or TLQ if Married. Instead I was told to drop my briefcase, pick up a tool box and go to work.

The 6 weeks your wife got is given, by law, to every woman after she gives birth, not just gay or straight women.

Last edited:
I took 30 days leave when I got married. But then I had over 75 days on the books.

Really? You had 90 days on the books?

As far as I can remember (and I enlisted in 1982 and was retired in 2002), you could only have 60 days on the books.

How did you manage to get 90 days on the books?

Military Leave (Vacation) Program

I think you're lying........................

As far as I can remember (and I enlisted in 1982 and was retired in 2002), you could only have 60 days on the books.

Oppss. No lying faulty memory as to the dates.. I had 90 days on the books the 1st of Sept, so I would take my 30 then, that way come Oct 1, I only had 60 on the books. With my last job, I was 1 deep, so I would often "touch base" while on that 30.. Then in Oct I would leave early some days.

When I left the military, I had 75 days leave accured, plus the Commander gave me an additional 20 "Commander Days".

If you will remember, you could sell back your excess leave just by having it on the books on Oct 1st.

While I have been out since 1998, you may want to be a bit more careful with throwing that word "Liar" out at me. I take great pains not to lie. I may be wrong.. but I don't lie.

This is political I thought the government was sequestered? Now money is being used for this shit? TAX PAYERS ON THE HOOK AGAIN

So, you don't want the military supporting their soldiers and sailors having stable marriage lives?

There is no such thing as marriage between two faggots or butches you aren't married and no fucking governments will make me accept that. I don't want my money supporting your sick perverted lifestyle.

Russia is that way. ----------->

Gay and lesbian service members assigned more than 100 miles from a state where same-sex marriages are legal, or assigned overseas, will be granted extra days of leave to travel where they can marry legally, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel announced Wednesday.

The special homosexual "marriage leave" accommodation, effective immediately and allowable only once in a member’s career, won’t count against 30 days annual leave every active duty member earns.

Non-chargeable leave of up to seven days will be granted if the gay or lesbian member is assigned inside the continental United States. Those wishing to marry while assigned outside of the continental U.S will get up to 10 days of extra leave.

So am I to assume that the same will be done for the straight Service Member who wants to get married? Of course not.

Equal - Yeah right......................it would appear that some are "more equal" than others. My God - I'm ashamed of the military.

Prove that only gays get married leave.

This is political I thought the government was sequestered? Now money is being used for this shit? TAX PAYERS ON THE HOOK AGAIN

So, you don't want the military supporting their soldiers and sailors having stable marriage lives?

There is no such thing as marriage between two faggots or butches you aren't married and no fucking governments will make me accept that. I don't want my money supporting your sick perverted lifestyle.

Better stop paying taxes then...or move. I hear Russia sucks all year.

I love how these benefits are being offered without going through Congress first. And giving free leave to get married? BullShit.

Why do they need to go to congress to offer the same benefits heterosexuals get?

Until this announcement there was no such thing as "marriage leave".

If you wanted to get married, you took regular leave, if you had any saved. Or you got married on Friday and went back to work on Monday.

Special leave for special people to make them feel special.

Poor America

Why do they need to go to congress to offer the same benefits heterosexuals get?

Until this announcement there was no such thing as "marriage leave".

If you wanted to get married, you took regular leave, if you had any saved. Or you got married on Friday and went back to work on Monday.

Special leave for special people to make them feel special.

Poor America

By "special people", you of course mean married people? The married leave is granted regardless of orientation. Is that why you're pissed, because now it's not a special right just for the straights?

The Pentagon recently sponsored a drag show as part of "community pride" day or something. This is where our military is headed: a bunch of politically correct nonsense sensitive to "societal needs" but heedless of its primary mission, which is to kill people and break stuff.

On this I agree with you...if a straight sailor/soldier isn't given such leave off the books, neither should a gay sailor/soldier.

He could hold anything beyond 60 days until the beginning of the next fiscal year (1Oct)...but if he has more than 60...he loses the extra on the 1st....commands are supposed to give you an opportunity to burn that extra rather than lose it. Supposed to.

Oppss. No lying faulty memory as to the dates.. I had 90 days on the books the 1st of Sept, so I would take my 30 then, that way come Oct 1, I only had 60 on the books. With my last job, I was 1 deep, so I would often "touch base" while on that 30.. Then in Oct I would leave early some days.

When I left the military, I had 75 days leave accured, plus the Commander gave me an additional 20 "Commander Days".

If you will remember, you could sell back your excess leave just by having it on the books on Oct 1st.

While I have been out since 1998, you may want to be a bit more careful with throwing that word "Liar" out at me. I take great pains not to lie. I may be wrong.. but I don't lie.

Now you change your story tho...you originally said you had 90 days on the books on 1 Oct...that means you would lose 30 days. Now you say you took that extra 30 on the 1st of Sep. I don't see many commands letting you take a 30 day block every year tho........

The Pentagon recently sponsored a drag show as part of "community pride" day or something. This is where our military is headed: a bunch of politically correct nonsense sensitive to "societal needs" but heedless of its primary mission, which is to kill people and break stuff.

You've never seen "South Pacific", have you? :lol:

Was attendance mandatory? Drag shows are fun. Whenever we'd pull into Key West, drag shows were popular with the crew.

Speaking of drag...you should have seen the engineering department (all straight, butch gear head men) on Rocky Horror night. :lol:

Forum List

Back