Pew Poll: Americans aren't worried about the deadline on the debt

It baffles me what relevance these sorts of polls have to anything, other than ridiculous appeals to popularity.

Who cares what the general public sees in their crystal balls? The average American has no understanding of what the debt ceiling is, let alone what the possible consequences are of no raising it. Popular opinion is worse than worthless in situations like this.

I agree that most Americans have no clue how our economy works or what the implications of allowing the deadline to pass are.

But there are two things that do matter when it comes to this topic about a poll. One is amusing, the other is not.

The amusing part is how someone started a topic about a poll which clearly indicates the majority of Americans feel allowing the deadline to pass is a bad thing and decided to claim that "Americans aren't worried" in the topic title based on a minority view!

It does not get much more retarded than that. :lol:

The second part is that perception is reality. Polls indicate how voters will vote. If they think your party is a bag of dildos, that does not bode well for your party in the next election.

It's relevant to policy wonks and Party officials, for the reasons you've mentioned.

Not so much to arguments for or against raising the debt ceiling.

show how out of touch Republicans are.

Ronald Reagan, the Son-God for Conservatives, said default would be catastrophic for the USA.

Well this is interesting. Just picked this up at the Washington Post about the Pew Poll.

I'll get the exact poll so I can link to the PDF.

But here's what was at the WP. It would seem no one is really buying into "the sky is falling" the Dems are shovelling.

Despite the Obama administration’s warnings that breaching the debt ceiling Thursday could trigger a default and cause drastic economic consequences, a new Pew Research Center poll shows that a majority of Republicans and many independents don’t feel the same urgency.

The poll shows 52 percent of Republicans, 38 percent of independents and 36 percent of Americans overall say the country can break the deadline without major economic problems.

House to vote tonight on plan to reopen government - The Washington Post

and when everything goes down the toilet ....markets crash all over the world ... where a huge recession hits the country and the world I expect no shit from you about how the dems fuck everything up ... we will know who fuck what up and that would be the republican party in case you forget

Actually the ball was passed to Reid and rather then create that fictitious clean bill you claim you want he is demanding the sequester cuts be removed before passing anything.

Just a reminder, The Democrats not the Republicans are holding up the debt bill. And the press is covering for them.

It baffles me what relevance these sorts of polls have to anything, other than ridiculous appeals to popularity.

Who cares what the general public sees in their crystal balls? The average American has no understanding of what the debt ceiling is, let alone what the possible consequences are of no raising it. Popular opinion is worse than worthless in situations like this.

The link I gave to the Pew Polls is worth going to and reading.

Why?

Because for all the hype, all the drama, all the hand wringing, all the gnashing of dentures very little has changed in the polling numbers.

That's what makes this interesting.

What I find interesting is how politicians and the press just assume a default on the debt if the debt limit isn't raised. It is a false assumption.

I got paid last Friday and guess what, the federal government withheld taxes from my paycheck. They also withheld taxes from almost everybody else that got paid last Friday. The federal government takes in about $300 billion dollars a month in income taxes from individuals and businesses.

Now, the interest on the debt is about $30 billion a month. That means, they can still service the debt with the $300 billion in monthly income. It just means they are not allowed to go further into debt. Which means, they would have to cut spending some place else. Interest on the debt doesn't necessarily have to be the first expense they stop paying. It would be a choice. In all likelihood, President Obama would make the choice on where to stop spending. If the federal government doesn't raise the debt limit, and it defaults on its debt, Mr Obama owns that one.

Based upon the poll, I'd say about 36% of the people know these facts and the other 64% are believing the lies the politicians are telling them and the journalistic malpractice coming from the media.

I want you to remember you were rationalizing going past the deadline. I want you to remember it was the Republican Party pushing this shit. Okay? Don't pretend later it was somehow the Democrats fault that our military didn't get paid, or Social Security checks didn't go out, or defense contractors weren't paid.

Don't suffer from the selective amnesia so many of you maniacs are burdened with. Remember you and the GOP were perfectly okay with going past the deadline.

10-15-13-05.png

Looks like the Dems have a better PR firm.

Well this is interesting. Just picked this up at the Washington Post about the Pew Poll.

But here's what was at the WP. It would seem no one is really buying into "the sky is falling" the Dems are shovelling.

Despite the Obama administration’s warnings that breaching the debt ceiling Thursday could trigger a default and cause drastic economic consequences, a new Pew Research Center poll shows that a majority of Republicans and many independents don’t feel the same urgency.

The poll shows 52 percent of Republicans, 38 percent of independents and 36 percent of Americans overall say the country can break the deadline without major economic problems.

That's because on Friday, Jimmy Carter said very clearly that default ".......is not going to happen".

What I find interesting is how politicians and the press just assume a default on the debt if the debt limit isn't raised. It is a false assumption.

I got paid last Friday and guess what, the federal government withheld taxes from my paycheck. They also withheld taxes from almost everybody else that got paid last Friday. The federal government takes in about $300 billion dollars a month in income taxes from individuals and businesses.

Now, the interest on the debt is about $30 billion a month. That means, they can still service the debt with the $300 billion in monthly income. It just means they are not allowed to go further into debt. Which means, they would have to cut spending some place else. Interest on the debt doesn't necessarily have to be the first expense they stop paying. It would be a choice. In all likelihood, President Obama would make the choice on where to stop spending. If the federal government doesn't raise the debt limit, and it defaults on its debt, Mr Obama owns that one.

Based upon the poll, I'd say about 36% of the people know these facts and the other 64% are believing the lies the politicians are telling them and the journalistic malpractice coming from the media.

I want you to remember you were rationalizing going past the deadline. I want you to remember it was the Republican Party pushing this shit. Okay? Don't pretend later it was somehow the Democrats fault that our military didn't get paid, or Social Security checks didn't go out, or defense contractors weren't paid.

Don't suffer from the selective amnesia so many of you maniacs are burdened with.

Reid is holding it up now in an effort to get the sequester cuts removed. keep up.

show how out of touch Republicans are.

Ronald Reagan, the Son-God for Conservatives, said default would be catastrophic for the USA.

As I pointed out in my above post, default is not caused by not raising the debt ceiling, despite what politicians and the press are telling you.

36 percent of Americans overall say the country can break the deadline without major economic problems.

64 percent of Americans obviously disagree.

Exactly!

It is amusing tinydancer is wetting herself in excitement over a small minority thinking we can safely default. :lol:

:lol:

I just find it interesting that the sense of urgency and drama that the media has been playing on isn't resonating this time.

36% is a significant not a small minority, but almost 2/3ds are very worried.

No. 36% find the debt issue insignificant. The other 2/3rds are not specifically identified as being "very worried". I'd venture that at least 1/3 of the other 2/3rds are totally unaware that there is any kind of issue at all. It's a reach to assume that if 36% of the sample polled is "unconcerned" that the entire remaining electorate are "concerned" or "very concerned".

Don't suffer from the selective amnesia so many of you maniacs are burdened with. Remember you and the GOP were perfectly okay with going past the deadline.
I'm not rationalizing shit. I'm pointing out the facts of the situation that are accurate, but not being told to you by the politicians or the press. I also didn't mention any specific party, I said politicians are lying and I mentioned that President Obama (one person, not a political party) would make the decision on what didn't get paid.

and when everything goes down the toilet ....markets crash all over the world ... where a huge recession hits the country and the world I expect no shit from you about how the dems fuck everything up ... we will know who fuck what up and that would be the republican party in case you forget

What specific compromises have your Dems put forward to resolve the issue?

36 percent of Americans overall say the country can break the deadline without major economic problems.

I know. And they were getting ready to celebrate till you pointed out the math. OOps.

Geeze louise did you break out some fucking crystal ball that could read into my OP and say "party time"?

Are you fucking nuts? I write an OP that goes "Well this is interesting" and you assume I'm ready to do tequila and do a Pee Wee Herman dance?

What's with you progressives these days?

I'm not rationalizing shit. I'm pointing out the facts of the situation that are accurate, but not being told to you by the politicians or the press. I also didn't mention any specific party, I said politicians are lying and I mentioned that President Obama (one person, not a political party) would make the decision on what didn't get paid.

Moody's already has said that we have enough revenue coming in to take care of all of our bills and debts for the month.

36% is a significant not a small minority, but almost 2/3ds are very worried.

No. 36% find the debt issue insignificant. The other 2/3rds are not specifically identified as being "very worried". I'd venture that at least 1/3 of the other 2/3rds are totally unaware that there is any kind of issue at all. It's a reach to assume that if 36% of the sample polled is "unconcerned" that the entire remaining electorate are "concerned" or "very concerned".

Actually, 51% said it is absolutely essential to increase the debt to avoid an economic crisis.

Exactly!

It is amusing tinydancer is wetting herself in excitement over a small minority thinking we can safely default. :lol:

:lol:

I just find it interesting that the sense of urgency and drama that the media has been playing on isn't resonating this time.

Except that it is. The same poll a week prior showed an 8 point gap between those that want the issue resolved and those that aren't concerned. Flash forward to now and that gap has jumped to 15 points.

Last edited:

That's a secret until after they get everything they want

That's a secret until after they get everything they want

Gotcha! They'd read it after they pass it, if only they could read.

There will be no default if Congress decides not to raise the debt limit. The government is required by the 14th Amendment to pay its debt obligations, and it can service our $17 trillion debt with less than 10% of federal revenues. This is not a close or a difficult question, and, as I noted here, the market is not showing any fear of a default. Because there can’t be one.

Moody?s Confirms: US Won?t Default | Power Line

Forum List

Back