Pharmacists can't refuse Plan B pill

So anyone that disagrees with you is a religious nut?

I think JB is correct, you have jumped the shark.

Immie

You two are on the wrong side of this so I really don't care what you think of me.

Sarah,

For the record, I did not say I thought poorly of you. Quite truthfully I do not. You are one of the liberals that are fun to have a discussion with even though we don't have many discussions.

Here is what jumping the shark means:

Jumping the shark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jumping the shark is an idiom used to describe the moment of downturn for a previously successful enterprise. The phrase was originally used to denote the point in a television program's history where the plot spins off into absurd story lines or unlikely characterizations. These changes were often the result of efforts to revive interest in a show whose audience had begun to decline, usually through the employment of different actors, writers or producers.[1][2][3]
[edit] History

The phrase jump the shark refers to the climactic scene in "Hollywood," a three-part episode opening the fifth season of the American TV series Happy Days in September 1977. In this story, the central characters visit Los Angeles, where Fonzie (Henry Winkler), wearing swim trunks and his leather jacket, jumps over a confined shark on water skis, answering a challenge to demonstrate his bravery. The series continued for nearly seven years after that, with a number of changes in cast and situations.

The expression was popularized in 1985 by Jonathan M. Hein,[citation needed] who would later create the web site jumptheshark.com. Hein explained the concept as follows: "It's a moment. A defining moment when you know that your favorite television program has reached its peak. That instant that you know from now on...it's all downhill. Some call it the climax. We call it 'Jumping the Shark.' From that moment on, the program will simply never be the same."[4][unreliable source?] Hein created the web site in 1997, inviting visitors to give their opinions of when various TV series (and other things) jumped the shark. Hein sold the web site and the domain name to Gemstar (publishers of TV Guide) in 2006, and, in early 2009, the domain was redirected to the main TV Guide web site as part of the dissolution of various TV Guide properties.

Immie

The law is about religious objections to selling the god damned drug and you two are trying to make it something else.

Immie, everyone knows what jumping the shark means.

Do you support "Whites Only" restaurants?

Do you support a vegan restaurant being forced to serve steaks? A kosher deli being forced to carry pork? Those are the equivalent questions to be asking here, not the false equivalency you are spouting.

Not the same at all. You are comparing the kind of customers you will serve, with the kind of food a restaurant will serve. Unless they are actually cooking the people, I don't think it's a good analogy.

What would you think about a restaurant serving only fried chicken and watermelon? I didn't mention any race but the inference is clear. Same thing with plan b. There is a perception the shoppers would be sluts and that has been solidified on this thread.

Plus, I was responding to immie's claim that all Americans should have the freedom to do business with only those they choose.

The court did not rule that pharmacies must sell Plan . The court ruled that the pharmacy can not refuse to sell the drug based on the pharmacist personal religious preferences. It is not the action of refusing to sell the medication that was at issue. It's the reason for refusing to sell it that is the issue. A good analogy is employment. You can refuse to hire people but you can't refuse to hire them because of their race. There would have never been a court case nor would there have been this thread had pharmacist told the customer he did not stock the drug because there was not sufficient demand or any other reason other than his religious beliefs.
[/B]

You mean, we don't have freedom of religion in this country?

You two are on the wrong side of this so I really don't care what you think of me.

Sarah,

For the record, I did not say I thought poorly of you. Quite truthfully I do not. You are one of the liberals that are fun to have a discussion with even though we don't have many discussions.

Here is what jumping the shark means:

Jumping the shark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jumping the shark is an idiom used to describe the moment of downturn for a previously successful enterprise. The phrase was originally used to denote the point in a television program's history where the plot spins off into absurd story lines or unlikely characterizations. These changes were often the result of efforts to revive interest in a show whose audience had begun to decline, usually through the employment of different actors, writers or producers.[1][2][3]
[edit] History

The phrase jump the shark refers to the climactic scene in "Hollywood," a three-part episode opening the fifth season of the American TV series Happy Days in September 1977. In this story, the central characters visit Los Angeles, where Fonzie (Henry Winkler), wearing swim trunks and his leather jacket, jumps over a confined shark on water skis, answering a challenge to demonstrate his bravery. The series continued for nearly seven years after that, with a number of changes in cast and situations.

The expression was popularized in 1985 by Jonathan M. Hein,[citation needed] who would later create the web site jumptheshark.com. Hein explained the concept as follows: "It's a moment. A defining moment when you know that your favorite television program has reached its peak. That instant that you know from now on...it's all downhill. Some call it the climax. We call it 'Jumping the Shark.' From that moment on, the program will simply never be the same."[4][unreliable source?] Hein created the web site in 1997, inviting visitors to give their opinions of when various TV series (and other things) jumped the shark. Hein sold the web site and the domain name to Gemstar (publishers of TV Guide) in 2006, and, in early 2009, the domain was redirected to the main TV Guide web site as part of the dissolution of various TV Guide properties.

Immie

The law is about religious objections to selling the god damned drug and you two are trying to make it something else.

Immie, everyone knows what jumping the shark means.

You are absolutely wrong. The law is about control of business. That is all this is about. The government wants to control you. Plain and simple that is what it is about.

If you knew what "jumping the shark" means then why did you indicate that you didn't care what I thought of you? I never said anything at all about thinking poorly of you.

Immie

Last edited:
The court did not rule that pharmacies must sell Plan . The court ruled that the pharmacy can not refuse to sell the drug based on the pharmacist personal religious preferences. It is not the action of refusing to sell the medication that was at issue. It's the reason for refusing to sell it that is the issue. A good analogy is employment. You can refuse to hire people but you can't refuse to hire them because of their race. There would have never been a court case nor would there have been this thread had pharmacist told the customer he did not stock the drug because there was not sufficient demand or any other reason other than his religious beliefs.
[/B]

Not complete freedom.

For example, you can't perform ritualistic animal sacrifice. You also cannot refuse to photograph the wedding of a lesbian couple on the grounds that you have a religious objection to homosexuality. And now we have this case. I guess more and more what the law (and by law I mean judicial precedent), is saying is that religion cannot be used as an excuse to discriminate. In the case of the photographer I think that's going too far, in the case of healthcare providers I'm more amenable to the trend.

Do you support "Whites Only" restaurants?

Do you support a vegan restaurant being forced to serve steaks? A kosher deli being forced to carry pork? Those are the equivalent questions to be asking here, not the false equivalency you are spouting.

Not the same at all. You are comparing the kind of customers you will serve, with the kind of food a restaurant will serve. Unless they are actually cooking the people, I don't think it's a good analogy.

Yet you think it is permissible to force pharmacies to stock, and sell, meds that do not fit into their business plan. You do know that there is a word for people who do that type of thing.

[/B]

You certainly have the freedom to practice your religion but if you are licensed to sell medicine, you can't deny people medication because of your religious belief just as a doctor can't refuse to render life saving measures on the sabbath because of his religious belief or a lawyer can't break attorney client privilege because of religious beliefs. Before entering the profession, people should consider whether the responsibilities of the job would be in conflict with their religious beliefs. If so, maybe they should consider a different career.

Yet you think it is permissible to force pharmacies to stock, and sell, meds that do not fit into their business plan. You do know that there is a word for people who do that type of thing.

Actually, I'm against forcing the pharmacies to sell certain meds based on their religious beliefs, but then I think people should have freedom of religion in this country.

[/B]

You certainly have the freedom to practice your religion but if you are licensed to sell medicine, you can't deny people medication because of your religious belief just as a doctor can't refuse to render life saving measures on the sabbath because of his religious belief or a lawyer can't break attorney client privilege because of religious beliefs. Before entering the profession, people should consider whether the responsibilities of the job would be in conflict with their religious beliefs. If so, maybe they should consider a different career.

Doctors have the right to refuse to do abortions, why can't pharmacists refuse to sell an abortion pill?

Actually, I'm against forcing the pharmacies to sell certain meds based on their religious beliefs, but then I think people should have freedom of religion in this country.

You know something? No matter how often I do this, I am always tempted to act like it didn't happen. Thank you for helping me, yet again, to remember that I make mistakes and assume things about people that are not true.

My apologies for misinterpreting your position.

Dang,...I'm gonna have to retake that Red Cross First Aid Class again, aren't I? I can see Doctor's are gonna be scarce and I don't blame them for leaving the business.

Doctors have the right to refuse to do abortions, why can't pharmacists refuse to sell an abortion pill?
Good question. The law says that no doctor or nurse must help with an abortion if he/she has a moral objection to the procedure. I guess doctors have more clout than pharmacist. There is an argument as to whether Plan B is abortion or birth control, however I will not get into that controversy.

Plan B isn't an abortion pill because you take it before a pregnancy occurs. If you are pregnant, Plan B doesn't work.

Plan B isn't an abortion pill because you take it before a pregnancy occurs. If you are pregnant, Plan B doesn't work.

Um that depends on when you think pregnancy occurs. As I understand it the drug works by preventing the already fertilized egg from implanting in the uterus. I am sure there are some hard core Religious right types that would think that even that is wrong.

Um that depends on when you think pregnancy occurs. As I understand it the drug works by preventing the already fertilized egg from implanting in the uterus. I am sure there are some hard core Religious right types that would think that even that is wrong.

I'm sure there are pharmacists who think it is still wrong but then we have to revisit whether they would also want the pharmacy to stop selling all contraception.

I'm sure there are pharmacists who think it is still wrong but then we have to revisit whether they would also want the pharmacy to stop selling all contraception.

Not so sure about that. In the minds of many I am sure there is a big difference between preventing fertilization with contraceptives, and causing a fertilized egg to basically instantly miscarry.

There are those who believe life begins at conception but are not opposed to blocking conception. I think they should be able to opt out of selling it.

Not so sure about that. In the minds of many I am sure there is a big difference between preventing fertilization with contraceptives, and causing a fertilized egg to basically instantly miscarry.

There are those who believe life begins at conception but are not opposed to blocking conception. I think they should be able to opt out of selling it.

It works the same way. If you take a number of birth control pills the morning after, you get the same result. I don't know the effectiveness of either but they work the same way.

Prescription birth control pills work for Emergency Contraception

Plan B is one brand of EC. It has two progesterone pills.

If you can’t get Plan B, use prescription birth control pills instead. They are less effective and cause more nausea and vomiting. It is important to take the exact number of pills recommended. Take the first dose as soon as you get the pills. Take the second dose 12 hours later. If possible, take with food. See dosages below:

Some birth control packages have several different colors.It is important to take the exact color on this chart. Brands not listed have not been tested for their effectiveness.

Emergency Contraception

What remains is the religious argument about all of it and no pharmacist sits in judgement of that.

You also cannot refuse to photograph the wedding of a lesbian couple on the grounds that you have a religious objection to homosexuality.

Who the fuck passed a law like that?

And now we have this case. I guess more and more what the law (and by law I mean judicial precedent), is saying is that religion cannot be used as an excuse to discriminate.

No. it's being used to harass the religious by stripping them of the right choose with whom top do business. If I'm a photographer and I don't want to accept your contract/job, that's my loss. my reasons are my own and none of your concern. Find someone else who likes money.

If I choose not to sell orange soda, latex barriers, condoms, opiates, country music CDs, or anything else, then you're free to go someplace else to purchase those goods from someone who likes making money.

Forum List

Back