Philippine catastrophe

I asked where our Pac Fleet went in a previous post, because I thought we had the Subic Bay and Airbase that Wildman served from for Vietnam. I had forgotten this...

U.S. Naval Base Subic Bay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

U.S. Naval Base Subic Bay was a major ship-repair, supply, and rest and recreation facility of the United States Navy located in Olongapo, Zambales, Philippines. The Navy Exchange had the largest volume of sales of any exchange in the world, and the Naval Supply Depot handled the largest volume of fuel oil of any navy facility in the world.[1] The naval base was the largest overseas military installation of the United States Armed Forces after Clark Air Base in Angeles City was closed in 1991. Following its closure in 1992, it was transformed into the Subic Bay Freeport Zone by the Philippine government.

Many months before the expiration of the Military Bases Agreement of 1947 intense negotiations between the governments of the United States and the Philippines began. These negotiations resulted in the Treaty of Friendship, Peace and Cooperation between the United States and the Republic of the Philippines. This would have extended the lease of the American bases in the Philippines.

On September 13, 1991, the Philippine Senate rejected the ratification of this treaty, citing a number of reasons for the rejection. This was a devastating blow to the Aquino administration, who were strongly pro-treaty and even called for a referendum by the Filipino people; a move that was declared unconstitutional.

Had those folks NOT kicked our asses out -- Those bases and personnel and ships would have been bringing relief a lot quicker.. What an unexpected side effect eh?

That article also reminded me that Mount Pinatubo erupted back in 1991.. One of the worst eruptions in a lifetime... Earthquakes, volcanoes, cyclones, invasions --- Those islands are like the Planet's Disaster Central.

You guys are talking about wind speeds as though wind speeds were consistent throughout the entire area of the hurricane.

Now I KNOW most of you know better than that...especially if you love in FLA

Very true...

195 mph cat5 is likely to have a area of cat5 maybe 10-12 miles max but nearly all the way around the eye.

Eye was 25-30 miles wide in diameter = 50-60 miles north to south got cat5 winds. :eek: A storm that is borderline; lets say 140 knots would probably see a very small area within the northeast quad of the eyewall.

This is what made this storm even worse.

Andrew probably seen a very small area of a few smalls along the coast south of Miami.
Katrina likely only seen a small area just off shore/beach of the tip of La on its very landfall

This storm wasn't all cat5 winds but the area of cat5 winds were bigger then anything you'd ever want to see hit the United states. Imagine Katrina 12 hours before hitting landfall at peak and this is what would of happen if not for the -40 knot collapse would of looked like had it not weakened. Oh'yesss. Katrina and this were similar in size.

The area of cat3 is larger
The area of tropical storm force winds is even bigger.
Surge was a lot like Katrina. Don't know the exact favorability of the sea floor for surge but from what I am seeing = oh shit.

"A team of 25 medical workers and disaster relief experts from Japan arrived in Manila on Monday night, keen to help a nation that lent a hand during their time of need.
They are among some 400 health workers from different countries now in the Philippines, according to the Department of Health.
“We will never forget what the Philippines did for us in 2011,” said Kenzo Iwakami of the Japanese International Cooperation Agency (Jica), team leader of the Japanese medical mission.
He was referring to the Philippine contribution to relief efforts following the 9-magnitude earthquake that struck northeastern Japan on March 11, 2011, which triggered a tsunami that killed more than 15,000 people.
“This time, we have to help you. Because two years ago, you helped us. So this time, this is our turn,” said Dr. Joji Tomioka, subleader and medical coordinator for Jica’s medical team for disaster relief."

Japanese relief team returns favor | Inquirer Global Nation

http://ktvl.com/template/inews_wire/wires.international/25fb84e5-www.ktvl.com.shtml

Last edited:
Things we should do for the Philippines
1. Deliver 2 billion dollars in aid
2. Send 3 more aircraft carriers
3. Allow 200-300,000 Filipino's a chance to move to America. Full legalizion so they can raise their children within a better environment.

We once controlled these islands. This is the right thing to do.

Last edited:
You guys are talking about wind speeds as though wind speeds were consistent throughout the entire area of the hurricane.

Now I KNOW most of you know better than that...especially if you love in FLA

I love where ever I can get it.

Forum List

Back