Philosophical Musings

It recently occurred to me that human generations are experiencing increasingly different conditions from those experienced by their parents. This not only points to a diminution of the relationship between generations, but also greater psychological challenges for those facing a continually changing brave new world.

I wonder what the future holds for our species?

certainly true.....couple of weeks ago I was given this picture of my father, farming when he was 18 years old.....
10629749_10201605236851981_8865517909776114818_n.jpg

how could he possibly have looked at things the same way I did.....

It recently occurred to me that human generations are experiencing increasingly different conditions from those experienced by their parents. This not only points to a diminution of the relationship between generations, but also greater psychological challenges for those facing a continually changing brave new world.

I have hope that the future of our species is a bright one. That we will forge into the future to find an ever greater understanding of the universe. We will one day live in one global society where all can enjoy democracy, advanced medicine, and equality.

Something similar to this was asked 200 years ago.

And 200 years before that.

Since the advent of the Modern Era persons of every generation have perceived current conditions as placing them on the precipice of some great, new change, wondering what the future might bring.

200 years from now the same perception will exist, and the same questions will be asked.

From one of my favorite philosophers, Buckaroo Banzai, "Remember. No matter where you go, there you are". ;)

Why not?
because the list of the things he experienced that I did not, and the things I experienced that he did not.....would fill two books.....

And?

Ah, the master of the one-word response strikes again. How clever! How brilliant! How idiotic! In case it has escaped anyone, this is the technique of those who are unable to explain or defend a position of their own.

Something similar to this was asked 200 years ago.

And 200 years before that.

Since the advent of the Modern Era persons of every generation have perceived current conditions as placing them on the precipice of some great, new change, wondering what the future might bring.

200 years from now the same perception will exist, and the same questions will be asked.

Do you not think that the Computer Age is fundamentally changing the way people relate to society?

I personally think that the only way our world solves its problems is through fire. Our world is too horribly broken to ever be repaired by conventional methods.

Why not?
because the list of the things he experienced that I did not, and the things I experienced that he did not.....would fill two books.....

Do you believe in honesty and hard work? Do you love your family? Do you want what is best for yourself, your neighbors, and your country? Do you value life? Do you believe in the principles upon which this nation was founded?

Why not?

Do you believe in honesty and hard work? Do you love your family? Do you want what is best for yourself, your neighbors, and your country? Do you value life? Do you believe in the principles upon which this nation was founded?
doesn't everyone?.....does doing what is best for my family mean buying a good team of draft horses?.....

Why not?

doesn't everyone?.........

So you share the same values as his generation? And the one before that and the one before that and the one before that...?

I guess you look at things the same way in the ways that really matter. I guess owning an iPhone 6 doesn't change your values or transform you into another species after all. 'Looking at things' is not a matter of computing power or material possession.

Forum List

Back