PLEASE... don't buy into the hysteria of "school shootings"... IT was worse!

It is a shame that people want to continue giving the MSM this tool of selling advertising, i.e. it is called

he said this approach could be adopted in much the same way as the media stopped reporting celebrity suicides in the mid-1990s after it was corroborated that suicide was contagious. Johnston noted that there was “a clear decline” in suicide by 1997, a couple of years after the Centers for Disease Control convened a working group of suicidologists, researchers and the media, and then made recommendations to the media.

"Media Contagion" Is Factor in Mass Shootings, Study Says
'Media Contagion' Is Factor in Mass Shootings, Study Says

Again the facts and studies show this Media Contagion that
The prevalence of these crimes has risen in relation to the mass media coverage of them and the proliferation of social media sites that tend to glorify the shooters and downplay the victims, Johnston said.

“We suggest that the media cry to cling to ‘the public’s right to know’ covers up a greedier agenda to keep eyeballs glued to screens, since they know that frightening homicides are their No. 1 ratings and advertising boosters,” she said.

Researchers at Northeastern University say
  • mass school shootings are extremely rare,
  • that shootings involving students have been declining since the 1990s, and
  • four times as many children were killed in schools in the early 1990s than today.

“There is not an epidemic of school shootings,” said James Alan Fox, the Lipman Family Professor of Criminology, Law, and Public Policy at Northeastern.
He said more children die each year from pool drownings or bicycle accidents.

There are around 55 million schoolchildren in the U.S., the study said, and over the past 25 years, about 10 students on average per year were killed by gunfire at school.

The Everytown group said this month that its own research shows there have been nearly 300 school shootings in America since 2013 — defining a shooting as
"anytime a firearm discharges a live round inside or into a school building or on a school campus."

“The thing to remember is that these are extremely rare events, and no matter what you can come up with to prevent it, the shooter will have a workaround,” Mr. Fox said in a report on the university’s website.

Schools safer today than in 1990s, study on shootings says

So why does the MSM continually cover these RARE, extremely rare events and make it sound like it happens ALL the time????

Advertising! Ratings!

People! Wake up! Don't get agitated. Don't get emotional. AND DON'T GET IRRATIONAL!
You are being manipulated by a handful of people i.e. managers of MSM outlets that are counting on your
irrational, illogical response to events that are RARE! EXCEPTIONAL. DON'T HAPPEN EVERY DAY!
First of all, you’re an idiot comparing accidental deaths with murder. But that aside, because there are many deaths by pool drownings, I’m required to put a fence around my pool. Because there are many deaths on bicycles, my kids are required to wear a helmet when they ride.

So precautions are taken to reduce the risk. Why does the right fight against reducing the risk of shootings in schools?

The only ones fighting to keep us from protecting students are you guys......you won't get rid of gun free zones...the one thing that keeps attracting these shooters...anything else is just security theater.....

You mean those gun free zones where only authorized personnel can carry a gun, thereby making it not really a gun free zone. The real problem with the gun free zones is they extend the zone beyond the school and into the public arena. This gives the local LEO's a harassment tool to use on unsuspecting citizens just passing through.

Didn't that 1990 law pass with overwhelming bipartisan support and signed by Pappa Bush? Hell it was a voice voice in Senate with no objections........ 1 no vote in the House I believe.

Liars figure and figures lie.

Prove it!

They have not published the data in this study yet. However the tactic is simple and it's used by both sides of the political spectrum to create spectacular sounding headlines. They count on few looking beyond the headlines......

What data are you talking about because here is the study..
View attachment 179709
Schools are safer than they were in the 90s, and school shootings are not more common than they used to be, researchers say

From the Washington Times article in the OP.

"The research, which will be released in full later this year, defines mass shootings as those involving four or more deaths, not including the gunman."

It's all about the Headlines.

• four times as many children were killed in schools in the early 1990s than today.

“There is not an epidemic of school shootings,” said James Alan Fox, the Lipman Family Professor of Criminology, Law, and Public Policy at Northeastern.

There are around 55 million schoolchildren in the U.S., the study said, and over the past 25 years, about 10 students on average per year were killed by gunfire at school.

The Everytown group said this month that its own research shows there have been nearly 300 school shootings in America since 2013 — defining a shooting as
"anytime a firearm discharges a live round inside or into a school building or on a school campus."

“The thing to remember is that these are extremely rare events, and no matter what you can come up with to prevent it, the shooter will have a workaround,” Mr. Fox said in a report on the university’s website.

So why does the MSM continually cover these RARE, extremely rare events and make it sound like it happens ALL the time????

Advertising! Ratings!

People! Wake up! Don't get agitated. Don't get emotional. AND DON'T GET IRRATIONAL!
You are being manipulated by a handful of people i.e. managers of MSM outlets that are counting on your
irrational, illogical response to events that are RARE! EXCEPTIONAL. DON'T HAPPEN EVERY DAY!
First of all, you’re an idiot comparing accidental deaths with murder. But that aside, because there are many deaths by pool drownings, I’m required to put a fence around my pool. Because there are many deaths on bicycles, my kids are required to wear a helmet when they ride.

So precautions are taken to reduce the risk. Why does the right fight against reducing the risk of shootings in schools?
To a rightist only the gun has meaning in life, the victims have none...

I'm neither rightist or leftist.

But using your logic.. you put a fence around the pool and kids wear helmets. But all that there still were more deaths from pool drownings than school shootings!
Why are people so upset about 17 kids being shot yet in spite of signs saying this is a gun free zone... the only people that pay attention are law abiding people!
Others say hey target practice!

Don't confuse the reality with your emotions. That's what I'm trying to point out. You are being manipulated. It is for ratings. It is for advertising. IT is the MSM fault for
actually encouraging idiots like the Parkland shooter to gain notoriety . If there is anything I'd agree to is that there should be a HIPAA like law passed regarding notoriety by
MSM of idiots like these shooters because there are 1,000s more out there! And giving publicity is the fuel and people like you don't seem to get it!
There is far more attention to the school shootings, again, because it’s murder. Folks are generally less outraged by accidents.adding fuel to the fire is that despite there being school shootings, nothing is ever done to prevent them from continuing.

Far less then 1990s!
Again the facts are against your wailing...
Researchers at Northeastern University say mass school shootings are extremely rare, that shootings involving students have been declining since the 1990s, and
four times as many children were killed in schools in the early 1990s than today.
There is not an epidemic of school shootings,” said James Alan Fox, the Lipman Family Professor of Criminology, Law, and Public Policy at Northeastern. He said more children die each year from pool drownings or bicycle accidents.

So what is the difference between the 90s and today?

AS I've pointed out the MSM's obsession to elevate these idiot shooters by 24/7 coverage over an event that was more common before the cable news, biased MSM.

That's the big difference!
Since we just experienced the worst mass shooting at a high school in U.S. history, it matters not if such attacks are down. Something still needs to be done. The days of doing nothing in response to shootings like this are over.

Advertising! Ratings!

The only ones fighting to keep us from protecting students are you guys......you won't get rid of gun free zones...the one thing that keeps attracting these shooters...anything else is just security theater.....

You mean those gun free zones where only authorized personnel can carry a gun, thereby making it not really a gun free zone. The real problem with the gun free zones is they extend the zone beyond the school and into the public arena. This gives the local LEO's a harassment tool to use on unsuspecting citizens just passing through.

Didn't that 1990 law pass with overwhelming bipartisan support and signed by Pappa Bush? Hell it was a voice voice in Senate with no objections........ 1 no vote in the House I believe.
all joking aside for a moment, and seriously when I was a kid, most of us had access to weapons. And in fact, a greater % of households had firearms. But it was an automatic suspension/expulsion if you brought one to school, and I can't imagine an adult parent or teacher thinking they could do it.

Today, we simply have more citizens going around armed. The gun free zones were not, imo, intended to be an harassment tool for local police. But it wasn't thought out as to how the zones could be enforced.

Advertising! Ratings!

Liar.

We are proposing strengthening background checks and doing more to keep guns out of mentally ill people like Cruz.

And while you’re pushing for the elimination of gun-free zones as though that’s the only solution, a) a armed cop was on the campus and that did not deter Cruz; and b) just yesterday there was an incident of a teacher firing a gun in class.

Advertising! Ratings!

But using your logic.. you put a fence around the pool and kids wear helmets. But all that there still were more deaths from pool drownings than school shootings!
Why are people so upset about 17 kids being shot yet in spite of signs saying this is a gun free zone... the only people that pay attention are law abiding people!

Don't confuse the reality with your emotions. That's what I'm trying to point out. You are being manipulated. It is for ratings. It is for advertising. IT is the MSM fault for
actually encouraging idiots like the Parkland shooter to gain notoriety . If there is anything I'd agree to is that there should be a HIPAA like law passed regarding notoriety by
MSM of idiots like these shooters because there are 1,000s more out there! And giving publicity is the fuel and people like you don't seem to get it!
IN 1 day..6 minutes actually, 3000 kid's lives, and their parent's lives, changed forever....

There is far more attention to the school shootings, again, because it’s murder. Folks are generally less outraged by accidents.adding fuel to the fire is that despite there being school shootings, nothing is ever done to prevent them from continuing.

Far less then 1990s!
Researchers at Northeastern University say mass school shootings are extremely rare, that shootings involving students have been declining since the 1990s, and
four times as many children were killed in schools in the early 1990s than today.
There is not an epidemic of school shootings,” said James Alan Fox, the Lipman Family Professor of Criminology, Law, and Public Policy at Northeastern. He said more children die each year from pool drownings or bicycle accidents.

AS I've pointed out the MSM's obsession to elevate these idiot shooters by 24/7 coverage over an event that was more common before the cable news, biased MSM.

Since we just experienced the worst mass shooting at a high school in U.S. history, it matters not if such attacks are down. Something still needs to be done. The days of doing nothing in response to shootings like this are over.

Don't you believe the experts who are telling you that the major contributor to the problem is this?

People who commit mass shootings in America tend to share three traits:
  • rampant depression,
  • social isolation and
  • pathological narcissism,
according to a paper presented at the American Psychological Association’s annual convention that calls on the media to deny such shooters the fame they seek.

Mass shootings are on the rise and so is media coverage of them,” said Jennifer B. Johnston, PhD, of Western New Mexico University.
“At this point, can we determine which came first?
Is the relationship merely unidirectional:
More shootings lead to more coverage?
Or is it possible that more coverage leads to more shootings?”

Unfortunately, we find that a cross-cutting trait among many profiles of mass shooters is desire for fame,” she said.
This quest for fame among mass shooters skyrocketed since the mid-1990s “in correspondence to the emergence of widespread 24-hour news coverage on cable news programs, and the rise of the internet during the same period.”

Now the solution is simple. A Federal law exactly like HIPAA.
HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996) is United States legislation that provides data privacy and security provisions for safeguarding medical information.) The penalties for noncompliance are based on the level of negligence and can range from $100 to $50,000 per violation (or per record),
with a maximum penalty of $1.5 million per year for violations of an identical provision.Jan 9, 2014

So let's make "mass shooter" events the same premise.
If a person leaks the name, etc. of the shooter to the MSM the leaker(s) are fined the same as HIPAA fines people who release private health information.

What really is accomplished by appealing to the "pathological narcissism" as the study shows that is common with these mass shooters?

Since we can't stifle the MSM ...free press, etc... the next best effort is to stifle the release of that information especially by the authorities.

Advertising! Ratings!

IN 1 day..6 minutes actually, 3000 kid's lives, and their parent's lives, changed forever....

Again the victims matter less than the gun....They are like broken records and keep reiterating their rhetoric....

Far less then 1990s!

Don't you believe the experts who are telling you that the major contributor to the problem is this?

People who commit mass shootings in America tend to share three traits:
  • rampant depression,
  • social isolation and
  • pathological narcissism,
according to a paper presented at the American Psychological Association’s annual convention that calls on the media to deny such shooters the fame they seek.

Mass shootings are on the rise and so is media coverage of them,” said Jennifer B. Johnston, PhD, of Western New Mexico University.
“At this point, can we determine which came first?
Is the relationship merely unidirectional:
More shootings lead to more coverage?
Or is it possible that more coverage leads to more shootings?”

Unfortunately, we find that a cross-cutting trait among many profiles of mass shooters is desire for fame,” she said.
This quest for fame among mass shooters skyrocketed since the mid-1990s “in correspondence to the emergence of widespread 24-hour news coverage on cable news programs, and the rise of the internet during the same period.”

Now the solution is simple. A Federal law exactly like HIPAA.
HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996) is United States legislation that provides data privacy and security provisions for safeguarding medical information.) The penalties for noncompliance are based on the level of negligence and can range from $100 to $50,000 per violation (or per record),
with a maximum penalty of $1.5 million per year for violations of an identical provision.Jan 9, 2014

So let's make "mass shooter" events the same premise.
If a person leaks the name, etc. of the shooter to the MSM the leaker(s) are fined the same as HIPAA fines people who release private health information.

What really is accomplished by appealing to the "pathological narcissism" as the study shows that is common with these mass shooters?

Since we can't stifle the MSM ...free press, etc... the next best effort is to stifle the release of that information especially by the authorities.
That may or may not be true; but it has little bearing on the Parkland assault. Not in all mass shootings, but in some, we can actually learn from it. This is one of those cases. Cruz was mentally ill and this was known by some as he was being treated for it. His name should have been on a list somewhere that should have flagged gun sellers that Cruz could not legally have been sold a gun. We’re never going to close all the gaps, but we can no longer continue pretending like it’s acceptable that nothing should be done because there’s always going to be gaps. Here’s something that needs to be done.

Advertising! Ratings!

all joking aside for a moment, and seriously when I was a kid, most of us had access to weapons. And in fact, a greater % of households had firearms. But it was an automatic suspension/expulsion if you brought one to school, and I can't imagine an adult parent or teacher thinking they could do it.

Today, we simply have more citizens going around armed. The gun free zones were not, imo, intended to be an harassment tool for local police. But it wasn't thought out as to how the zones could be enforced.

I grew up in much the same way. My brothers and I all knew where dad kept all his guns. I got my first shotgun for duck hunting when I was 14. The Boy Scouts have a Merit Badge for shooting. We all earned that one because we could all shoot.

Unintended consequence.

Advertising! Ratings!

Pro life? No, you arent. You think your shit or anyones from the perverts on the left have me fooled with your utter shit from hypocritical laughable moral platitude?

Advertising! Ratings!

Pro life? No, you arent. You think your shit or anyones from the perverts on the left have me fooled with your utter shit from hypocritical laughable moral platitude?
Pro life very much...As far as this "left" you speak of I think you'd better see a psychiatrist...Cause you be throwing shit like an ape to try and make it stick through the "you're guilty" splatter mode...

The OP's a bad joke, but on a different tack, I don't think anyone can disagree with the thought that gun free zones have not offered the protection intended. But that doesn't necessarily mean any adult who wants a firearm on campus should have one.

It appears in this case the police officer either messed up, or his training was deficient. I believe he's said he was trained to "assess" the situation before acting, and he thought the gunfire was outside the building. The point of a gun free school is that when the cops go into a school where there's a shooting, the only good guys are their fellow cops. After Columbine, the cops have supposedly trained to take a more aggressive approach to following the sound of gunshots. (and btw, this saved lives at Virginia Tech)

It appears that other deputies arrived as well, and they too may not have moved to the sound of gunshots.

But if teachers and non-police are going to have weapons in schools, there has to be a way they are identified, because the countless shootings we've had have shown one thing consistently, someone has to promptly identify the attacker and either kill or incapacitate him. Personally, I think armed teachers is nuts, and instead the only rational reaction is find a way to raise revenue and drastically increase the number or armed responders, while at the same time not making school discipline part of the criminal justice system. It's too late for society to make these attacks something too crazy/awful to contemplate. They will continue for foreseeable future.

You should never say *please* to gun grabbing nutters. They see it as a sign of weakness.

Advertising! Ratings!

No! No! Don't go trying to bring out any FACTS just when the Left has the public in a mass panic about schools, guns, the NRA and AR-15's! The Left is on a ROLL! They just got Walmart to roll back the sales age to 21, as if there was a long line of 16-20 year old kids waiting to buy "assault" rifles.

Advertising! Ratings!

I guess I was premature in buying up my Steir AUG 77 and 900 rounds of .223 then?

My favorite scary looking black gun

The OP's a bad joke, but on a different tack, I don't think anyone can disagree with the thought that gun free zones have not offered the protection intended. But that doesn't necessarily mean any adult who wants a firearm on campus should have one.

It appears in this case the police officer either messed up, or his training was deficient. I believe he's said he was trained to "assess" the situation before acting, and he thought the gunfire was outside the building. The point of a gun free school is that when the cops go into a school where there's a shooting, the only good guys are their fellow cops. After Columbine, the cops have supposedly trained to take a more aggressive approach to following the sound of gunshots. (and btw, this saved lives at Virginia Tech)

It appears that other deputies arrived as well, and they too may not have moved to the sound of gunshots.

But if teachers and non-police are going to have weapons in schools, there has to be a way they are identified, because the countless shootings we've had have shown one thing consistently, someone has to promptly identify the attacker and either kill or incapacitate him. Personally, I think armed teachers is nuts, and instead the only rational reaction is find a way to raise revenue and drastically increase the number or armed responders, while at the same time not making school discipline part of the criminal justice system. It's too late for society to make these attacks something too crazy/awful to contemplate. They will continue for foreseeable future.
But that doesn't necessarily mean any adult who wants a firearm on campus should have one.
Even if the adult has gone through weapons defense course and concealed carry course? Those 2 together get you a qualified FBI background check and able to purchase a firearm that can be hidden and used only in emergency.

But that doesn't necessarily mean any adult who wants a firearm on campus should have one.
Even if the adult has gone through weapons defense course and concealed carry course? Those 2 together get you a qualified FBI background check and able to purchase a firearm that can be hidden and used only in emergency.
I didn't post an answer to the question of how can an armed adult fit into the concept of how "most" police are being trained to respond to mass shootings, exp at schools or other gun free zones .... because I really don't know. I'm not a cop. After Columbine, I've tried to learn what cops are trying to do ... because I am a parent, and I'd like to see my kid marry and have a family. But it seems to me that if we are going to have armed/non-lawenforcement people they need to be trained to cooperate with what the cops are trained to do.

I didn't post an answer to the question of how can an armed adult fit into the concept of how "most" police are being trained to respond to mass shootings, exp at schools or other gun free zones .... because I really don't know. I'm not a cop. After Columbine, I've tried to learn what cops are trying to do ... because I am a parent, and I'd like to see my kid marry and have a family. But it seems to me that if we are going to have armed/non-lawenforcement people they need to be trained to cooperate with what the cops are trained to do.
Like the sheriff department who allowed the kids to die in Broward County?
2013-05-17-BarneyFife.gif

Forum List

Back