Police groups sue NFL

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Why?

Because off duty cops have a right to carry a firearm, the policy that prohibits anyone from carrying a gun unless they are working is unenforceable, and it isn't safe.

W

The National Football League has been slapped with a lawsuit by two Minnesota law enforcement organizations challenging its authority to prohibit off-duty officers from bringing guns into stadiums.
Since 2003, state law has allowed licensed peace officers to carry weapons in private establishments, even when signs banning guns are posted. But in September, the NFL alerted team owners that it was instituting a new policy forbidding anyone other than on-duty officers and private security personnel working its games to carry weapons in stadiums.
Not only does that policy violate state law, it’s unenforceable, argues a lawsuit filed Tuesday in Hennepin County District Court. The suit picked up steam after an off-duty Minneapolis police officer attending the Minnesota Vikings’ final game in December was told to take his gun and lock it in his car.
“This is the most unsafe thing you could do,” said Dennis Flaherty, executive director of the Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association, one of the plaintiffs. “Officers are trained and encouraged to be able to respond 24 hours a day. This is terrible public policy.”

Now I completely support gun rights. I own 2 guns myself and have posted pretty consistently on this site about why the 2nd amendment is important.

But when I go to a game there's no way in hell I'd take a gun! there have been at least a few times in my life when a Cowboys fan or a Phillies fan got in my face that if I'd had a gun God knows what I would've done.

And that's why I agree with the weapons ban. Because at sporting events people go crazy.

Why?

Because off duty cops have a right to carry a firearm, the policy that prohibits anyone from carrying a gun unless they are working is unenforceable, and it isn't safe.

W

The National Football League has been slapped with a lawsuit by two Minnesota law enforcement organizations challenging its authority to prohibit off-duty officers from bringing guns into stadiums.
Since 2003, state law has allowed licensed peace officers to carry weapons in private establishments, even when signs banning guns are posted. But in September, the NFL alerted team owners that it was instituting a new policy forbidding anyone other than on-duty officers and private security personnel working its games to carry weapons in stadiums.
Not only does that policy violate state law, it’s unenforceable, argues a lawsuit filed Tuesday in Hennepin County District Court. The suit picked up steam after an off-duty Minneapolis police officer attending the Minnesota Vikings’ final game in December was told to take his gun and lock it in his car.
“This is the most unsafe thing you could do,” said Dennis Flaherty, executive director of the Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association, one of the plaintiffs. “Officers are trained and encouraged to be able to respond 24 hours a day. This is terrible public policy.”

Tricky.

If there as a spectator, is the off-duty officer allowed to drink beer while armed? Get rowdy shouting from the cheap seats? If a crime is commited, is the officer obligated to intervene? What if he's drunk? What if while shouting for his team, a fan of the other teams gets in his face? Does he arrest the fan for some officer-related offense?

I can see the concern here. Simple fix might be if going to be a participant somewhere alcohol is available, or rowdiness is the norm like a sporting event, leave your weapon at home. Presumedly there's pleanty of security already and the +1 isn't crucial.

Now I completely support gun rights. I own 2 guns myself and have posted pretty consistently on this site about why the 2nd amendment is important.

But when I go to a game there's no way in hell I'd take a gun! there have been at least a few times in my life when a Cowboys fan or a Phillies fan got in my face that if I'd had a gun God knows what I would've done.

And that's why I agree with the weapons ban. Because at sporting events people go crazy.

My post isn't as much about the ban as it is the claim that cops have a "right" to carry even when off duty.

The NFL should be more concerned about the thugs they put on the field, than the off-duty cops in the stands.

Forum List

Back