Political billboard compares Obama to Hitler

What seems to be blowing clean over your head is that you're still looking back to the 19th century, to grasp at some sort of evidence of leftist progressive "success".

If that's the first thing that comes up (which it seems to be with alarming regularity), then that list must be awfully short.

Wrong. I'm simply proving you wrong while you try to act like these kids had it so good. I don't think severe health problems and being enslaved as young as the age of four is living the good life. I don't really care about your semantics wordplay as to try and give "successes" to a certain ideology or not.
I'm not acting like anything of the sort...Just reporting the facts.

Looks to me like there's a lot of that "seeing the world in black & white terms", from the peeps who claim that they're the ones who see all the nuance, shades of gray and every side of the story.

Imagine that. :lol:

What seems to be blowing clean over your head is that you're still looking back to the 19th century, to grasp at some sort of evidence of leftist progressive "success".

If that's the first thing that comes up (which it seems to be with alarming regularity), then that list must be awfully short.

Wrong. I'm simply proving you wrong while you try to act like these kids had it so good. I don't think severe health problems and being enslaved as young as the age of four is living the good life. I don't really care about your semantics wordplay as to try and give "successes" to a certain ideology or not.

Still, it beat starving in the streets and prostitution.

Hey, earth to Allie, did you even bother to read my post?

These children lived in deplorable conditions. They carried a large sack with them, into which they dumped the soot they swept from the chimneys. They used this same sack as a blanket to sleep in at night, and only bathed infrequently. They were often sickly, and learned to beg handouts of food and clothing from their customers as all the money they earned went to their masters. The soot they collected was sold to farmers for fertilizer.

The ideal chimney sweep would be young and poorly fed

Looks like to me they were still starving.

I'm not acting like anything of the sort...Just reporting the facts.

Looks to me like there's a lot of that "seeing the world in black & white terms", from the peeps who claim that they're the ones who see all the nuance, shades of gray and every side of the story.

Imagine that. :lol:

So says the one who called the children chimney sweepers a "caricature in dickens" in the first place. :eusa_eh:

Also, I'm giving only the facts as well.

Hey, earth to Allie, did you even bother to read my post?

These children lived in deplorable conditions. They carried a large sack with them, into which they dumped the soot they swept from the chimneys. They used this same sack as a blanket to sleep in at night, and only bathed infrequently. They were often sickly, and learned to beg handouts of food and clothing from their customers as all the money they earned went to their masters. The soot they collected was sold to farmers for fertilizer.

The ideal chimney sweep would be young and poorly fed

Looks like to me they were still starving.

While typically no, I don't bother reading your posts, in this case I did.

There are degrees of starvation. As I said, I researched the issue just recently, and the fact is, the kids are initially much worse off when child labor is eliminated. For many of them, the only shelter they had was during work hours, and the only food they consumed was consumed at work.

I'm not saying we need to put kids to work now. I'm just saying, there are always consequences to every action. Positive and negative. And child labor wasn't all bad.

PS..my sons started greasing combines when they were 10. They would climb inside the machines to grease them, they were the only ones small and limber enough to do it.

It's quite a stretch to claim their existence was the the model for American child labor. As I already pointed out, a great many of them, if not the vast majority, were working the family trade.

So, yes, it's a caricature.

You're correct, child labor did worse jobs than chimney sweeping.

Although I don't recollect saying chimey sweeping was the model for American child labor. Art was, after all, giving examples of what a certain ideology accomplished in society.

It's quote a stretch to claim their existence was the the model for American child labor.

$article-0-02BD1523000005DC-953_306x248.jpg

Actually, it was the model.

Industrial Revolution

Many factory workers were children. They worked long hours and were often treated badly by the supervisors or overseers. Sometimes the children started work as young as four or five years old. A young child could not earn much, but even a few pence would be enough to buy food.

There were very few safety rules. Cutting and moving coal which machines do nowadays was done by men, women and children.
The younger children often worked as "trappers" who worked trap doors. They sat in a hole hollowed out for them and held a string which was fastened to the door. When they heard the coal wagons coming they had to open the door by pulling a string. This job was one of the easiest down the mine but it was very lonely and the place were they sat was usually damp and draughty.
Older children might be employed as "coal bearers" carrying loads of coal on their backs in big baskets.

Even part of Sunday was spent cleaning machines. There were some serious accidents, some children were scalped when their hair was caught in the machine, hands were crushed and some children were killed when they went to sleep and fell into the machine.

Children often worked long and gruelling hours in factories and had to carry out some hazhardous jobs. In match factories children were employed to dip matches into a chemical called phosphorous. This phosphorous could cause their teeth to rot and some died from the effect of breathing it into their lungs.

It's quite a stretch to claim their existence was the the model for American child labor. As I already pointed out, a great many of them, if not the vast majority, were working the family trade.

You're correct, child labor did worse jobs than chimney sweeping.

Although I don't recollect saying chimey sweeping was the model for American child labor. Art was, after all, giving examples of what a certain ideology accomplished in society.
So some did worse, some did better. But who is it here only looking at the "worse" side of the equation?

It's quote a stretch to claim their existence was the the model for American child labor.

View attachment 10862

Actually, it was the model.

Industrial Revolution

Many factory workers were children. They worked long hours and were often treated badly by the supervisors or overseers. Sometimes the children started work as young as four or five years old. A young child could not earn much, but even a few pence would be enough to buy food.

Even part of Sunday was spent cleaning machines. There were some serious accidents, some children were scalped when their hair was caught in the machine, hands were crushed and some children were killed when they went to sleep and fell into the machine.

Children often worked long and gruelling hours in factories and had to carry out some hazhardous jobs. In match factories children were employed to dip matches into a chemical called phosphorous. This phosphorous could cause their teeth to rot and some died from the effect of breathing it into their lungs.
A few pence?!?!?!?...Which country are we talking about here?!?!?!?!?

BTW...Everybody was working grueling hours under dangerous conditions, as compared with today.

As was already pointed out, they were doing something prior which made working in those trades look like a good option.

Everybody was working grueling hours under dangerous conditions, as compared with today.

As was already pointed out, they were doing something prior which made working in those trades look like a good option.

I think what is seen as a good option would be subjective. Especially since we have to realize that's it not adults who are doing these jobs. It's kids at the ages of four and five. Can you even remember when you were four or five? Imagine just having to work in these conditions at four or five, never mind things like scalping.

Let's face it Dude, these jobs were the model of child labor at the time in both America and England. Times sucked, child labor laws which improved conditions made things better. It's not difficult to admit, "well hey, these laws did in fact improve things."

A few pence?!?!?!?...Which country are we talking about here?!?!?!?!?

The link applies to both America and England. Considering Dickens wasn't from America, trying to focus on the pence part is not worth doing so in the first place.

The History Place - Child Labor in America: Investigative Photos of Lewis Hine

Left - At 5 p.m., boys going home from Monougal Glass Works. One boy remarked, "De place is lousey wid kids." Fairmont, West Virginia. Mid - A few of the young workers in the Beaumont Mill. Spartenburg, South Carolina. Right - Fish cutters at a canning company in Maine. Ages range from 7 to 12. They live near the factory. The 7-year-old boy in front, Byron Hamilton, has a badly cut finger but helps his brother regularly. Behind him is his brother George, age 11, who cut his finger half off while working. Ralph, on the left, displays his knife and also a badly cut finger. They and many youngsters said they were always cutting themselves. George earns a dollar some days usually 75 cents. Some of the others say they earn a dollar when they work all day. At times they start at 7 a.m. and work all day until midnight.

Child Labor in U.S. History - The Child Labor Education Project

In the early decades of the twentieth century, the numbers of child laborers in the U.S. peaked. Child labor began to decline as the labor and reform movements grew and labor standards in general began improving, increasing the political power of working people and other social reformers to demand legislation regulating child labor. Union organizing and child labor reform were often intertwined, and common initiatives were conducted by organizations led by working women and middle class consumers, such as state Consumers’ Leagues and Working Women’s Societies. These organizations generated the National Consumers’ League in 1899 and the National Child Labor Committee in 1904, which shared goals of challenging child labor, including through anti-sweatshop campaigns and labeling programs. The National Child Labor Committee’s work to end child labor was combined with efforts to provide free, compulsory education for all children, and culminated in the passage of the Fair Labor Standards Act in 1938, which set federal standards for child labor.

You know, you can say that child labor was perhaps necessary for some families survival. However, you can't excuse the conditions they worked under, which is what these laws improved.

Oh, so it's subjective now?

You really think thievery, prostitution and scavenging are acceptable options to productive work and learning a marketable trade?

Real marketable when you only have one hand. There were no good options at the time, trying to say one was "better" than the other is like saying having your left hand cut off is better than having your right hand cut off.

I'm not making any excuses for anything....There are two, if not numerous, sides to every story.

Likewise, if the progressive Fabians still need to point back to the 19th century as one of their first-string examples of the greatness of their laws and programs, that list of "successes" must be mighty thin.

Its beyond arrogant and stupid. They just turned off people to a righteous cause. they just gave fuel to the fire for Democrats to scream racism!

Not really. Like I said, I treat everyone differently. I think you are a total hack therefor I don't take what you have to say very seriously. There's no rule that says I have to show the same amount of respect to you as I would somebody else.
I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you properly through your snivvling.

Yeah, I figured the truth would sting a bit.
The only way the truth could crawl out of your ass is if it bit you there first and you sat on it in shock in hopes of killing it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back