Political experiment: Speed Bumps; Whats your political stance on them???

Speed bumps, more cops, or liberty: Respond to speeding problem

• Increase budget, put a cop on the road everyday, 7am-9pm

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Put in speed bumps; It sucks, but, it'll mostly fix the problem

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Nothing; I dont want more taxes, OR my liberty of smooth driving impeded

Votes: 11 68.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
I want to inquire about an action of the government, and how your political outlook applies. Its not a major issue of the day. Which is the point. Government sometimes must do the LITTLE things, not the breaking national news decisions, but little things that make a city or country run in a civil manner. Things we often times hate. BUT, that are, well necessary.

Please answer honestly.

Speed bumps. I put a poll. But, here is the issue-

Lets say there is a road in your city. People drive WAY too fast down it. Kids are around. Bicyclists. Very dangerous. However, due to having limited resources, your local and county police cannot put a cop on that road 24/7. When they do, folks take to facebook and twitter to warn their friends and neighbors anyway. Modern day, ya know? But, a kid gets hit, and people demand action. What should they do?

A) Increase the budget, and man that road with a cop from 7am-9pm, every day.
B) Put in speed bumps. Inconveniences everyone, damages cars long-term, but, problem kinda fixed.
C) Nothing. My liberty to drive how I want shouldn't be impeded just to stop a few bad drivers.

I think this little example puts ideology to the test about what government can and should, or shouldn't, do to fix or aid in society's daily problems.

Like most people, I hate them. However, in my area they serve a good purpose in residential neighborhoods and in my opinion are worth the inconvenience. I certainly wouldn't support paying a cop to monitor the street. There are far better uses of our law enforcement.

Kind of context driven. Urban, suburban, or rural? Residential neighborhood with children, or freeway?

Ok. So, you guys support inconveniencing everyone to limit the unlawful activites of a minority of the population?

Kind of context driven. Urban, suburban, or rural? Residential neighborhood with children, or freeway?

Fair question. Lets say suburban, but not a residential-inside neighborhood road. A main road, not an interstate or highway, that runs between two large subdivisions. A busy road, where people walk/ride bikes in the evenings.

Obviously, speed bumps on a freeway or interstate are not possible.

Fair question. Lets say suburban, but not a residential-inside neighborhood road. A main road, not an interstate or highway, that runs between two large subdivisions. A busy road, where people walk/ride bikes in the evenings.

Speed bumps, in their present incarnation, are not variable speed regulators. Everyone has to slow to about 5 mph going over them. That wouldn't work well on a road with a 40 mph limit. So in the context above, a cop with a speed gun and an appropriate speed limit would be best. Ideally, some genius would invent a speed bump which would be smooth sailing at 40 mph and tear up the suspension at 45.

In Germany, the Autobahn is safer than any highway here in the US, and requires far less oversight that does our highways. Why do we need speedbumps or more police to patrol the highways?

What kind of thread is this?

A "republicans are responsible for our decaying infrastructure" thread?

Sounds like someone has a persecution complex! This seems to be aimed more at Libertarians than Republicans.

My thoughts would be that they should only be in residential areas and around schools. Speed limits on connecting roads should be enforced by police, if there's a problem.

I want to inquire about an action of the government, and how your political outlook applies. Its not a major issue of the day. Which is the point. Government sometimes must do the LITTLE things, not the breaking national news decisions, but little things that make a city or country run in a civil manner. Things we often times hate. BUT, that are, well necessary.

Please answer honestly.

Speed bumps. I put a poll. But, here is the issue-

Lets say there is a road in your city. People drive WAY too fast down it. Kids are around. Bicyclists. Very dangerous. However, due to having limited resources, your local and county police cannot put a cop on that road 24/7. When they do, folks take to facebook and twitter to warn their friends and neighbors anyway. Modern day, ya know? But, a kid gets hit, and people demand action. What should they do?

A) Increase the budget, and man that road with a cop from 7am-9pm, every day.
B) Put in speed bumps. Inconveniences everyone, damages cars long-term, but, problem kinda fixed.
C) Nothing. My liberty to drive how I want shouldn't be impeded just to stop a few bad drivers.

I think this little example puts ideology to the test about what government can and should, or shouldn't, do to fix or aid in society's daily problems.
How about if parents keep their kids out of the street?
My parents taught me, and I taught my kids.......
Look both ways before crossing the street, if a car is coming, don't step in front of it.
If the kid is too young to understand that concept, it is up to the parents to be responsible enough to keep the kid out of the street.
The government can't cure stupid with more cops or more speed bumps.

What kind of thread is this?

A "republicans are responsible for our decaying infrastructure" thread?

Sounds like someone has a persecution complex! This seems to be aimed more at Libertarians than Republicans.

My thoughts would be that they should only be in residential areas and around schools. Speed limits on connecting roads should be enforced by police, if there's a problem.

Uhh what?

Look both ways before crossing the street, if a car is coming, don't step in front of it.
If the kid is too young to understand that concept, it is up to the parents to be responsible enough to keep the kid out of the street.

In a lot of places the street is where kids play and I'm not just talking about the inner cities. I grew up in the suburbs and the street is where we played ball games and all sorts of things. It's just not about crossing streets, but the fact that it's where people live. If you're in that much of a hurry, use a major thoroughfare.

Speed bumps, in their present incarnation, are not variable speed regulators. Everyone has to slow to about 5 mph going over them. That wouldn't work well on a road with a 40 mph limit. So in the context above, a cop with a speed gun and an appropriate speed limit would be best. Ideally, some genius would invent a speed bump which would be smooth sailing at 40 mph and tear up the suspension at 45.

Then you make the speed bump at a lower height and curvature to match 40 mph.

In Germany, the Autobahn is safer than any highway here in the US, and requires far less oversight that does our highways. Why do we need speedbumps or more police to patrol the highways?

On my very own street, limited to 35 mph, we have morons driving over 80 mph past 10:00 PM because the street has a flat elevation and no curvature, they go right through the stop signs and sometimes cannot stop in time to prevent blowing the few red lights there are.

A speed bump mathematically engineered by 35 mile per hour placed every quarter mile would be sufficient to stop this behavior.

Simply putting a series of garbage cans on the road, so I can mow and trim my bushes on the side of the road brings traffic down from 60mph to 30mph. What are they going to do, call the police and tell them I'm impeding them from going 60mph on a 35mph road?

On my very own street, limited to 35 mph, we have morons driving over 80 mph past 10:00 PM because the street has a flat elevation and no curvature, they go right through the stop signs and sometimes cannot stop in time to prevent blowing the few red lights there are.

A speed bump mathematically engineered by 35 mile per hour placed every quarter mile would be sufficient to stop this behavior.

Simply putting a series of garbage cans on the road, so I can mow and trim my bushes on the side of the road brings traffic down from 60mph to 30mph. What are they going to do, call the police and tell them I'm impeding them from going 60mph on a 35mph road?

80 in a 35 in front of the house? Spikes work to....

In a lot of places the street is where kids play and I'm not just talking about the inner cities. I grew up in the suburbs and the street is where we played ball games and all sorts of things. It's just not about crossing streets, but the fact that it's where people live. If you're in that much of a hurry, use a major thoroughfare.

If your parents wanted you to play in the streets, maybe they didn't want you in the future gene pool.
Roads aren't a playground, they are a means for people to travel (in cars) from one place to another. Most people understand that and keep their kids out of the street.
Major thoroughfares don't exist in neighborhoods. In order to enter or exit ones neighborhood, one must travel the neighborhood streets. They should follow the speed limits in the neighborhood and kids shouldn't be in the streets.

I think we have the technology to do that ;)

But if there is indeed a serious speeding problem on any street, staffing it 24/7 wouldn't cost a thin dime. Cops don't make THAT much; a ticket every few minutes would more than offset the salary.

This is why I say speeding is quite tolerated in this country. Hell, I'm 'Speeding' probably 90%+ time I'm driving. You go the speed limit you're liable to get your ass run off the road!

If your parents wanted you to play in the streets, maybe they didn't want you in the future gene pool.
Roads aren't a playground, they are a means for people to travel (in cars) from one place to another. Most people understand that and keep their kids out of the street.
Major thoroughfares don't exist in neighborhoods. In order to enter or exit ones neighborhood, one must travel the neighborhood streets. They should follow the speed limits in the neighborhood and kids shouldn't be in the streets.

Ummm but they are. Did you never play street hockey? Or have (or know someone who has) a basketball hoop at the end of the drive?

These situations can and do coexist. :thup:

Forum List

Back