PolitiFact Sheet: 3 things to know about the 'gun show loophole'

So that's why YOUR side has passed laws that allow women to murder their babies - to the tune of 50 million since 1973. Yeah, all "peace and "love" aren't you....

There is no law that allows anyone to murder babies.

Well of course not skippy!! That's where you "educated" liberals come into play....women have murdered babies legally in this country since Roe V Wade in 1973. The difference? You "educated" tyrants call it a "woman's right" and the rest of the world calls it murder. 50 million - an entire generation of babies. And you assholes call yourselves "compassionate". You are no better than ISIS.

It's funny that you think a fetus and a baby are interchangeable terms.

Far from it. To me, they are babies. To you - they are expendable flesh. Again, no better than ISIS.
So that's why YOUR side has passed laws that allow women to murder their babies - to the tune of 50 million since 1973. Yeah, all "peace and "love" aren't you....

Well of course not skippy!! That's where you "educated" liberals come into play....women have murdered babies legally in this country since Roe V Wade in 1973. The difference? You "educated" tyrants call it a "woman's right" and the rest of the world calls it murder. 50 million - an entire generation of babies. And you assholes call yourselves "compassionate". You are no better than ISIS.

Far from it. To me, they are babies. To you - they are expendable flesh. Again, no better than ISIS.

Here's the thing, It doesn't matter what you think.You can't change the definition of a word because you feel like it. That is why words have meanings.

Yeah, it's sort of like "Cimate Change" (you know that thing that was supposed to kill us all by 2010?). You idiots call it "Climate Change" and I call it a "hot spell". You guys suck billions out of the treasury for your supposed "research" and the rest of us go swimming.

You want to call a murdered baby a "fetus" because it takes the onus off your indignant conscience. You should just probably change your wording from "fetus" to "INFIDEL".

You lefties fool no one.

What's so bad about background checks and gun "titles" so you can follow the ownership and wipe out straw purchases .
We already have background checks and straw purchases are illegal. Enforce the present laws. We don't need any new ones.

We don't have universal background checks.
There is no federal law regarding checks for private sales.

Again - BULLSHIT

The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993 established the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), which allows the seller to check a buyer’s eligibility with a search that usually takes less than a minute. The system was fully launched in 1998. Before selling a gun, the gun store worker calls in to the FBI or other designated law enforcement agency to run a check against the system’s records. If the prospective buyer’s record doesn’t raise a red flag – possible triggers include a person having been adjudicated as mentally ill or being sought by law enforcement – the sale is cleared to go through.

The only problem that I have with the above is the idea that it "usually takes less than a minute". Bullshit. I have waited for days for checks.

which allows the seller to check a buyer’s eligibility

Allows. Not requires.

There is no federal law requiring checks for private sales.

Gun Show Background Checks State Laws

"Known as the "gun show loophole," most states do not require background checksfor firearms purchased at gun shows from private individuals -- federal law only requires licensed dealers to conduct checks."

You really should know what you're talking about before calling bullshit.

If parking lot gun trades without a name check are already illegal what does the radical left suggest? Dump the Constitution and break into homes of suspected gun owners? It should be noted that Barry Hussein could have closed the no fly list loophole but he didn't want to anger his criminal jihad base.

They aren't illegal under federal law. That's the point. Only 18 states and DC require paperwork for private sales.
I could go to a gun show, buy as many guns as I please, without question, then proceed to sell them on in the parking lot or advertise them online without question.

And if it is found you are supplying felons intentionally you will be snitched out by one of your customers and be sent to jail......we can already do that with current laws....and I post those stories all the time.

What's so bad about background checks and gun "titles" so you can follow the ownership and wipe out straw purchases .
We already have background checks and straw purchases are illegal. Enforce the present laws. We don't need any new ones.

Again - BULLSHIT

The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993 established the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), which allows the seller to check a buyer’s eligibility with a search that usually takes less than a minute. The system was fully launched in 1998. Before selling a gun, the gun store worker calls in to the FBI or other designated law enforcement agency to run a check against the system’s records. If the prospective buyer’s record doesn’t raise a red flag – possible triggers include a person having been adjudicated as mentally ill or being sought by law enforcement – the sale is cleared to go through.

The only problem that I have with the above is the idea that it "usually takes less than a minute". Bullshit. I have waited for days for checks.

Allows. Not requires.

"Known as the "gun show loophole," most states do not require background checksfor firearms purchased at gun shows from private individuals -- federal law only requires licensed dealers to conduct checks."

Jesus, I give up. You're a blithering idiot.

You can't enforce a law that doesn't exist. I can legally sell a gun to a felon because I can legally sell it without having him go through a background check..
That's a state by state issue

And, regardless of the state, a background check MUST be completed by the FBI. You sell a gun without a background check (Chicago for example) and BOTH the seller and the buyer are federal felons.

Wrong.

Only 18 states and DC require paperwork for private sales.

National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Read it and weep....

Yes that's the system they use but federal law only requires licensed dealers to conduct background checks.

Anyone found in possession of an unlicensed, unregistered weapon gets a mandatory 25 year sentence.

Why dont' they do something like that to felons now?

Have a record, have a firearm, mandatory 25 year sentence.

Needs to be stricter. ANYONE found in possession of a gun not registered to them.....25 years Minimum. If we want to get serious about sorting out responsible gun owners from those who aren't capable of handling that sort of power, we need to get real with the punishments.

No......that punishes law abiding gun owners too......felons are not allowed, by law to own, buy or carry a gun...that is already illegal, we don't need new laws for that......I am all for 30 year sentences for actual gun criminals....but for some reson, obama reduced federal gun crime prosecutions......and state prosecutors don't want to take the time or energy to prosecute straw buyers.....that is the weak link in the system.

Awww I guess we know that means you aren't a responsible gun owner either.

You mean that I don't support the revoking or marginalizing of the US Constitution and the denial of civil rights?

You of the anti-liberty left are at war to end civil rights, as an American, it is my duty to resist you in every way.

BTW, you didn't answer on the speech permits? What will the criteria be to get a permit to speak? I assume a background check and waiting period to ensure that nothing offensive is said to favored factions of the party?

You can't enforce a law that doesn't exist. I can legally sell a gun to a felon because I can legally sell it without having him go through a background check..

And, regardless of the state, a background check MUST be completed by the FBI. You sell a gun without a background check (Chicago for example) and BOTH the seller and the buyer are federal felons.

Wrong.

National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Read it and weep....

Yes that's the system they use but federal law only requires licensed dealers to conduct background checks.

I have purchased several guns at "Gun Shows" and every seller there has been a Licensed Dealer. Every time I have EVER purchased at a gun show, I have undergone a background check. I have NEVER seen a "private sale" out of the trunk of a car at a gun show. Please, stop with your bullshit propaganda.

Calling it 'gun show' is imprecise because the gaping loophole in the federal law is much bigger than gun show...

Call it the gun-show-flea-market-parking-lot-craigs-list-garage-sale-internet-trailer-park loophole.

Professors at Northeastern and Harvard universities conducted a gun survey in 2015 that isn’t yet published. The national survey of 4,000 non-institutionalized adults found that 22 percent of the people who purchased guns -- at gun shows, stores or elsewhere -- underwent no background check, said Matthew Miller, professor of Health Sciences and Epidemiology at Northeastern University and co-director of the Harvard Injury Control Research Center.

When researchers excluded purchases between family and friends, that number dropped to 15 percent, which equates to approximately 5 million gun owners whose most recent purchase did not involve a background check.

5 Million gun purchases/trades/sales - with no background check.

How many where domestic abusers, dishonorable discharges, mentally ill, no fly lists?

Hell, how many are just suicidal. That ugly secret of gun deaths, the majority are suicides. And the pro-life party is okay with suicidal people owning guns.

Not in Illinois thankfully. You don't even need to adjudicated at mentally ill. If you are admitted to hospital program voluntarily, you lose your state gun permit for 5 years.

That's what I call sensible.
Suicide is a choice
Why do you think you have the right to tell someone they can't choose to end their own life?
The same idiots counting suicides are the ones claiming assisted suicide should be legal and that other then with a firearm suicide should be allowed. Go figure.

If parking lot gun trades without a name check are already illegal what does the radical left suggest? Dump the Constitution and break into homes of suspected gun owners? It should be noted that Barry Hussein could have closed the no fly list loophole but he didn't want to anger his criminal jihad base.

They aren't illegal under federal law. That's the point. Only 18 states and DC require paperwork for private sales.
I could go to a gun show, buy as many guns as I please, without question, then proceed to sell them on in the parking lot or advertise them online without question.

And if it is found you are supplying felons intentionally you will be snitched out by one of your customers and be sent to jail......we can already do that with current laws....and I post those stories all the time.

That's the rub. Without a check there's no way to know who you're selling to.

Calling it 'gun show' is imprecise because the gaping loophole in the federal law is much bigger than gun show...

Call it the gun-show-flea-market-parking-lot-craigs-list-garage-sale-internet-trailer-park loophole.

How many where domestic abusers, dishonorable discharges, mentally ill, no fly lists?

Hell, how many are just suicidal. That ugly secret of gun deaths, the majority are suicides. And the pro-life party is okay with suicidal people owning guns.

Not in Illinois thankfully. You don't even need to adjudicated at mentally ill. If you are admitted to hospital program voluntarily, you lose your state gun permit for 5 years.

Red:
I don't know. I know that I wouldn't base an argument on however many there are without finding out.

Blue:
I don't, but I don't care either. If someone wants to commit suicide by shooting themselves, I say, "Fine. Have at it. Just be sure to be successful doing so." Better, if they are of a mind to shoot/kill anyone, that they shoot/kill themselves than someone else.

Green:
I can't say what party is the pro-life party; I know of none that goes by that name. I can say that I am okay with suicidal, non-homicidal folks owning guns.

Pink:
That seems sensible to me as well.

You might wonder how I can think that yet have the view expressed under "blue" and "green." The answer is that I don't especially want folks to kill themselves, but if they are of a mind to do so, I'm not a person to whom they should look for input dissuading them from doing so. My view on the matter isn't like that of daytime television characters and I believe most folks are better off without that much ongoing and recurring drama in their lives.

So, if one is going to kill oneself, as far as I'm concerned, they need to do it, succeed, and get it over with so the folks whom they leave behind can move on with their lives without the protracted drama and angst that comes with the suicidal person's depression. I say, "piss or get off the pot;" stop being a cause of problems for others and instead be part of the solution. Either (1) make a damn decision and see it through, or (2) seek help from an appropriate source, or (3) get over it on one's own. Whichever route one chooses, at least respect the rest of us, one's friends and family, enough to take a course of actions that results in one's never bringing it up again, and, if still alive, getting on with being a contributing member of society and to one's "world."

Again - BULLSHIT

Allows. Not requires.

You're simply wrong dude. No need to be an ass. Simply look it up.

Professors at Northeastern and Harvard universities conducted a gun survey in 2015 that isn’t yet published. The national survey of 4,000 non-institutionalized adults found that 22 percent of the people who purchased guns -- at gun shows, stores or elsewhere -- underwent no background check, said Matthew Miller, professor of Health Sciences and Epidemiology at Northeastern University and co-director of the Harvard Injury Control Research Center.

When researchers excluded purchases between family and friends, that number dropped to 15 percent, which equates to approximately 5 million gun owners whose most recent purchase did not involve a background check.

Did you know they don't do background checks on illegal gun purchases? Shocking, isn't it? Who'd a thought organized crime wouldn't follow the law?

Again - BULLSHIT

Allows. Not requires.

You're simply wrong dude. No need to be an ass. Simply look it up.

In fairness he's right, you are a blithering idiot

Here's the thing, It doesn't matter what you think.You can't change the definition of a word because you feel like it. That is why words have meanings.

Yeah, it's sort of like "Cimate Change" (you know that thing that was supposed to kill us all by 2010?). You idiots call it "Climate Change" and I call it a "hot spell". You guys suck billions out of the treasury for your supposed "research" and the rest of us go swimming.

You want to call a murdered baby a "fetus" because it takes the onus off your indignant conscience. You should just probably change your wording from "fetus" to "INFIDEL".

You lefties fool no one.

LOL, it's funny that when you can't make your argument using reality, you feel the need to change the words you use and their definitions to make it sound better. Sad.

Background checks don't stop criminals...they just don't. Criminals use people with clean records to buy their guns at licensed gun dealers....so if those people went to a private seller, they could pass that background check too...making the call for universal background checks pointless for the reason of stopping criminals..

Mass shooters can pass background checks too...the few who can't steal their guns or buy them illegally.

registering guns does not do anything for straw purchases.....they report the guns stolen.....they are then clean.

Felons do not have to register illegal guns..as per the Haynes v. United States supreme court decision...

Most crime guns found in Illinois...are 11 years on the street before they are found....this factoid was from a recent article by Kevin D. Williamson...

And gun registration is only needed in order to confiscate guns in the future. Besides being a waste of time, money and manpower....
This fails as a red herring fallacy.

No one ever claimed that background checks would stop all prohibited persons from obtaining firearms.

You keep posting this same fallacy and look stupid every time you do.

So much for "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED", right? How about we tell women that, in order to murder their baby, they register their intent with the federal government before the procedure can be done legally? If not, 25 year mandatory sentence.

Or, how about this: any illegal border jumper that has been caught and returned repeatedly, then murders an American Citizen, the family of the murdered can receive compensation from the "sanctuary city" that flaunted federal law for years.

Those ok with you, too?

Yes.

Any other questions?

Here's the problem - your side isn't with you.

My side is rational thought and common sense.

So abortion is not legal? Funny thing, it is. INCLUDING right up to the last minute in most States. Remind me what does a FETUS of a Human become?

Wrong.

Read it and weep....

I have purchased several guns at "Gun Shows" and every seller there has been a Licensed Dealer. Every time I have EVER purchased at a gun show, I have undergone a background check. I have NEVER seen a "private sale" out of the trunk of a car at a gun show. Please, stop with your bullshit propaganda.

Like I told you, 18 states and DC require background checks for all sales. Perhaps your state is among them but all of them aren't.

Most states don't require checks for private sales. Hence the need for a federal law closing that gap.

[

Did your father roll over in his grave when women were given the right to vote?

Will yours, when your revoke the right of whites and Christians to vote?

Have you ever heard of the Bill of Rights? Do you have any idea what it covers?

If so, or if you just looked it up on Wikipedia, are there any rights therein that you DON'T want to crush? I assume I'll need to check my speech in fear of micro-aggression while you go to your "no whites allowed" safe space to ponder this?

Forum List

Back