PolitiFact Sheet: 3 things to know about the 'gun show loophole'

Not going to happen in a free country,

Not without a civil war between gun owners, and those thinking like you.

Spoken like someone who isn't a responsible gun owner.

Spoken like someone that has no clue about responsible gun owners

I know you're not one of them. What else ya got?

know you're not one of them.

How?

Your stance in this thread is proof enough.

Hardly.

what have I posted that proves I'm not a 'responsible gunowner' ?

Needs to be stricter. ANYONE found in possession of a gun not registered to them.....25 years Minimum. If we want to get serious about sorting out responsible gun owners from those who aren't capable of handling that sort of power, we need to get real with the punishments.

I don't believe in registration and I don't believe in "licensing". The second amendment says "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED". Now, if you want to impose mandatory sentencing for ANY crime committed with a firearm - I'm fine with that. But take this into consideration before you agree with me. You guys have the ACLU. It will never happen.

It also says "well regulated" but you forget to include that portion.

Well regulated refers to the militia, not the people

Oh look two people in the same thread who were there and can interpret for us! How lucky are we???

Now if there was someone on the other side that has actually read it.

Indeed. The Constitution of the United States is the bain of their existence.

What's so bad about background checks and gun "titles" so you can follow the ownership and wipe out straw purchases .
We already have background checks and straw purchases are illegal. Enforce the present laws. We don't need any new ones.

You can't enforce a law that doesn't exist. I can legally sell a gun to a felon because I can legally sell it without having him go through a background check..

What's so bad about background checks and gun "titles" so you can follow the ownership and wipe out straw purchases .
We already have background checks and straw purchases are illegal. Enforce the present laws. We don't need any new ones.

You can't enforce a law that doesn't exist. I can legally sell a gun to a felon because I can legally sell it without having him go through a background check..

BULLSHIT - BULLSHIT - BULLSHIT - BULLSHIT - BULLSHIT - BULLSHIT

That's a state by state issue

Much as I'd love to watch this all day, I have a going away party to attend an hours drive from here.

I'll try to catch up late tonight, or tomorrow

And, regardless of the state, a background check MUST be completed by the FBI. You sell a gun without a background check (Chicago for example) and BOTH the seller and the buyer are federal felons.

And, regardless of the state, a background check MUST be completed by the FBI. You sell a gun without a background check (Chicago for example) and BOTH the seller and the buyer are federal felons.
Private sales in my state are practically all illegal unless a licensed dealer is involved

Anyone found in possession of an unlicensed, unregistered weapon gets a mandatory 25 year sentence.

Why dont' they do something like that to felons now?

Have a record, have a firearm, mandatory 25 year sentence.

Needs to be stricter. ANYONE found in possession of a gun not registered to them.....25 years Minimum. If we want to get serious about sorting out responsible gun owners from those who aren't capable of handling that sort of power, we need to get real with the punishments.

I don't believe in registration and I don't believe in "licensing". The second amendment says "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED". Now, if you want to impose mandatory sentencing for ANY crime committed with a firearm - I'm fine with that. But take this into consideration before you agree with me. You guys have the ACLU. It will never happen.

Now granted, I'm an old man - but not THAT old.

The Second Amendment: The Framers' Intentions

LOL, I love the sources you washed up nutters throw out there.

Why dont' they do something like that to felons now?

Have a record, have a firearm, mandatory 25 year sentence.

Now granted, I'm an old man - but not THAT old.

The Second Amendment: The Framers' Intentions

LOL, I love the sources you washed up nutters throw out there.

Well hell, sonny, I could have thrown over a hundred of them up there....but why not use YOUR research skills to prove me wrong (and I don't mean the Huffington Post or MSNBC).

Not going to happen in a free country,

Not without a civil war between gun owners, and those thinking like you.

Like I said earlier - we allow illegals to come in to this country REPEATEDLY and kill our citizens - then they waltz back across the border laughing at us. The left wants guns out of the hands of LAW-ABIDING citizens. A disarmed population is ripe for tyranny - which the left has been pining for since the 60s.

No, only you want that.

Really? Are you really being honest here? I call bullshit.

You're arguing against something that no one is honestly suggesting. YOU are the problem.

And save your energy, and dont bother sharing an article about some random liberal who wants to ban all guns. I'm talking about sensible gun laws that allow responsible owners to keep their weapons and restrict guns from those who aren't responsible.

I'm talking about sensible gun laws that allow responsible owners to keep their weapons and restrict guns from those who aren't responsible.

How is that going to keep criminals from getting firearms?

Are there criminals around the world in other first world nations?

PolitiFact Sheet: 3 things to know about the 'gun show loophole'

Calling it 'gun show' is imprecise because the gaping loophole in the federal law is much bigger than gun show...

Call it the gun-show-flea-market-parking-lot-craigs-list-garage-sale-internet-trailer-park loophole.

Professors at Northeastern and Harvard universities conducted a gun survey in 2015 that isn’t yet published. The national survey of 4,000 non-institutionalized adults found that 22 percent of the people who purchased guns -- at gun shows, stores or elsewhere -- underwent no background check, said Matthew Miller, professor of Health Sciences and Epidemiology at Northeastern University and co-director of the Harvard Injury Control Research Center.

When researchers excluded purchases between family and friends, that number dropped to 15 percent, which equates to approximately 5 million gun owners whose most recent purchase did not involve a background check.

5 Million gun purchases/trades/sales - with no background check.

How many where domestic abusers, dishonorable discharges, mentally ill, no fly lists?

Hell, how many are just suicidal. That ugly secret of gun deaths, the majority are suicides. And the pro-life party is okay with suicidal people owning guns.

Not in Illinois thankfully. You don't even need to adjudicated at mentally ill. If you are admitted to hospital program voluntarily, you lose your state gun permit for 5 years.

That's what I call sensible.

The only thing to "know" is that it is a lie put out by the Anti-Liberty left in their war to crush civil rights.

Like I said earlier - we allow illegals to come in to this country REPEATEDLY and kill our citizens - then they waltz back across the border laughing at us. The left wants guns out of the hands of LAW-ABIDING citizens. A disarmed population is ripe for tyranny - which the left has been pining for since the 60s.

No, only you want that.

Really? Are you really being honest here? I call bullshit.

You're arguing against something that no one is honestly suggesting. YOU are the problem.

And save your energy, and dont bother sharing an article about some random liberal who wants to ban all guns. I'm talking about sensible gun laws that allow responsible owners to keep their weapons and restrict guns from those who aren't responsible.

I'm talking about sensible gun laws that allow responsible owners to keep their weapons and restrict guns from those who aren't responsible.

How is that going to keep criminals from getting firearms?

Are there criminals around the world in other first world nations?
Yes and they can still get guns can't they?

It is illegal for you to sell a gun to a felon and it's illegal for a felon to own one. You really think additional law will stop a felon from acquiring a gun since it's already illegal for them to possess one?

Forum List

Back