PolitiFact Sheet: 3 things to know about the 'gun show loophole'

Anyone found in possession of an unlicensed, unregistered weapon gets a mandatory 25 year sentence.

Why dont' they do something like that to felons now?

Have a record, have a firearm, mandatory 25 year sentence.

Needs to be stricter. ANYONE found in possession of a gun not registered to them.....25 years Minimum. If we want to get serious about sorting out responsible gun owners from those who aren't capable of handling that sort of power, we need to get real with the punishments.

No......that punishes law abiding gun owners too......felons are not allowed, by law to own, buy or carry a gun...that is already illegal, we don't need new laws for that......I am all for 30 year sentences for actual gun criminals....but for some reson, obama reduced federal gun crime prosecutions......and state prosecutors don't want to take the time or energy to prosecute straw buyers.....that is the weak link in the system.

How does what I suggested punish law abiding gun owners?

What's so bad about background checks and gun "titles" so you can follow the ownership and wipe out straw purchases .

Background checks don't stop criminals...they just don't. Criminals use people with clean records to buy their guns at licensed gun dealers....so if those people went to a private seller, they could pass that background check too...making the call for universal background checks pointless for the reason of stopping criminals..

Mass shooters can pass background checks too...the few who can't steal their guns or buy them illegally.

registering guns does not do anything for straw purchases.....they report the guns stolen.....they are then clean.

Felons do not have to register illegal guns..as per the Haynes v. United States supreme court decision...

Most crime guns found in Illinois...are 11 years on the street before they are found....this factoid was from a recent article by Kevin D. Williamson...

And gun registration is only needed in order to confiscate guns in the future. Besides being a waste of time, money and manpower....
This fails as a red herring fallacy.

No one ever claimed that background checks would stop all prohibited persons from obtaining firearms.

You keep posting this same fallacy and look stupid every time you do.
And YET it is brought up EVERY single time a shooting occurs including when the shooter PASSED all back ground checks, GO figure.

That's a state by state issue

And, regardless of the state, a background check MUST be completed by the FBI. You sell a gun without a background check (Chicago for example) and BOTH the seller and the buyer are federal felons.

Wrong.

Only 18 states and DC require paperwork for private sales.

National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Read it and weep....

Yes that's the system they use but federal law only requires licensed dealers to conduct background checks.

I have purchased several guns at "Gun Shows" and every seller there has been a Licensed Dealer. Every time I have EVER purchased at a gun show, I have undergone a background check. I have NEVER seen a "private sale" out of the trunk of a car at a gun show. Please, stop with your bullshit propaganda.

A private seller at a show doesn't need to sell out of their trunk. They can be a vendor at the show.

Last edited:
[

Did your father roll over in his grave when women were given the right to vote?

Will yours, when your revoke the right of whites and Christians to vote?

Have you ever heard of the Bill of Rights? Do you have any idea what it covers?

If so, or if you just looked it up on Wikipedia, are there any rights therein that you DON'T want to crush? I assume I'll need to check my speech in fear of micro-aggression while you go to your "no whites allowed" safe space to ponder this?

I can't wait for the day when whites can't vote. That's my ultimate agenda here.

What's so bad about background checks and gun "titles" so you can follow the ownership and wipe out straw purchases .

Background checks don't stop criminals...they just don't. Criminals use people with clean records to buy their guns at licensed gun dealers....so if those people went to a private seller, they could pass that background check too...making the call for universal background checks pointless for the reason of stopping criminals..

Mass shooters can pass background checks too...the few who can't steal their guns or buy them illegally.

registering guns does not do anything for straw purchases.....they report the guns stolen.....they are then clean.

Felons do not have to register illegal guns..as per the Haynes v. United States supreme court decision...

Most crime guns found in Illinois...are 11 years on the street before they are found....this factoid was from a recent article by Kevin D. Williamson...

And gun registration is only needed in order to confiscate guns in the future. Besides being a waste of time, money and manpower....
This fails as a red herring fallacy.

No one ever claimed that background checks would stop all prohibited persons from obtaining firearms.

You keep posting this same fallacy and look stupid every time you do.

That would be a strawman fallacy, not a red herring fallacy. Though he didn't say what he said you did, so you committed a strawman in claiming his red hearing fallacy which you meant was a strawman even though it wasn't.

Your posts identifying fallacies wrong are always a hoot, you get it wrong every time. Keep up the good work, my man! Always good for a chuckle

And, regardless of the state, a background check MUST be completed by the FBI. You sell a gun without a background check (Chicago for example) and BOTH the seller and the buyer are federal felons.

Wrong.

Only 18 states and DC require paperwork for private sales.

National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Read it and weep....

Yes that's the system they use but federal law only requires licensed dealers to conduct background checks.

I have purchased several guns at "Gun Shows" and every seller there has been a Licensed Dealer. Every time I have EVER purchased at a gun show, I have undergone a background check. I have NEVER seen a "private sale" out of the trunk of a car at a gun show. Please, stop with your bullshit propaganda.

A private seller at a show doesn't need to sell out of their trunk. The can be a vendor at the show.

That's what he said, dumb ass

We don't have universal background checks.
There is no federal law regarding checks for private sales.

Again - BULLSHIT

The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993 established the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), which allows the seller to check a buyer’s eligibility with a search that usually takes less than a minute. The system was fully launched in 1998. Before selling a gun, the gun store worker calls in to the FBI or other designated law enforcement agency to run a check against the system’s records. If the prospective buyer’s record doesn’t raise a red flag – possible triggers include a person having been adjudicated as mentally ill or being sought by law enforcement – the sale is cleared to go through.

The only problem that I have with the above is the idea that it "usually takes less than a minute". Bullshit. I have waited for days for checks.

which allows the seller to check a buyer’s eligibility

Allows. Not requires.

There is no federal law requiring checks for private sales.

Gun Show Background Checks State Laws

"Known as the "gun show loophole," most states do not require background checksfor firearms purchased at gun shows from private individuals -- federal law only requires licensed dealers to conduct checks."

You really should know what you're talking about before calling bullshit.

Jesus, I give up. You're a blithering idiot.

You're simply wrong dude. No need to be an ass. Simply look it up.

In fairness he's right, you are a blithering idiot

Show me the federal law requiring a background check for all private sales there counselor.

Again - BULLSHIT

The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993 established the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), which allows the seller to check a buyer’s eligibility with a search that usually takes less than a minute. The system was fully launched in 1998. Before selling a gun, the gun store worker calls in to the FBI or other designated law enforcement agency to run a check against the system’s records. If the prospective buyer’s record doesn’t raise a red flag – possible triggers include a person having been adjudicated as mentally ill or being sought by law enforcement – the sale is cleared to go through.

The only problem that I have with the above is the idea that it "usually takes less than a minute". Bullshit. I have waited for days for checks.

which allows the seller to check a buyer’s eligibility

Allows. Not requires.

"Known as the "gun show loophole," most states do not require background checksfor firearms purchased at gun shows from private individuals -- federal law only requires licensed dealers to conduct checks."

Show me the federal law requiring a background check for all private sales there counselor.

Why? No one said there was one. What would that establish?

A private seller at a show doesn't need to sell out of their trunk. The can be a vendor at the show.

That's what he said, dumb ass

That's not what he said at all dope.

Allows. Not requires.

That's exactly what he argued dope.

No, it isn't. He said every gun he bought was from a licensed dealer. That doesn't say that unlicensed dealers need to run background checks.

Sounds like he nailed you with the "blithering idiot" observation, I made the right call agreeing with him ...

[

Like I told you, 18 states and DC require background checks for all sales. Perhaps your state is among them but all of them aren't.

Most states don't require checks for private sales. Hence the need for a federal law closing that gap.

When a car dealer sells a used car, they are required to do a "title search." this shows that the car is not stolen and has no leans on it.

Now get this, if a private individual sell his car to another private individual, NO TITLE SEARCH IS REQUIRED.

Shocking isn't it, that individuals are not treated as if they are corporations who's primary business is selling cars.

This would be "freedom loophole," and no doubt you leftist are working hard to close it.

No, it isn't. He said every gun he bought was from a licensed dealer. That doesn't say that unlicensed dealers need to run background checks.

Sounds like he nailed you with the "blithering idiot" observation, I made the right call agreeing with him ...

Read the thread dope.

Read the thread dope.

I did, and that's what he said. Every gun he bought at a road show was from a licensed dealer. You read the thread

[

Like I told you, 18 states and DC require background checks for all sales. Perhaps your state is among them but all of them aren't.

Most states don't require checks for private sales. Hence the need for a federal law closing that gap.

When a car dealer sells a used car, they are required to do a "title search." this shows that the car is not stolen and has no leans on it.

Now get this, if a private individual sell his car to another private individual, NO TITLE SEARCH IS REQUIRED.

Shocking isn't it, that individuals are not treated as if they are corporations who's primary business is selling cars.

This would be "freedom loophole," and no doubt you leftist are working hard to close it.

The car title needs to be transferred to the buyer.

Read the thread dope.

I did, and that's what he said. Every gun he bought at a road show was from a licensed dealer. You read the thread
We already have background checks and straw purchases are illegal. Enforce the present laws. We don't need any new ones.

Again - BULLSHIT

Dope.

Read the thread dope.

We already have background checks and straw purchases are illegal. Enforce the present laws. We don't need any new ones.

Again - BULLSHIT

Dope.

Yet you can't show me the quote ...

Read the thread dope.

Again - BULLSHIT

Dope.

Open the quote box dope.

Read the thread dope.

Again - BULLSHIT

Dope.

Open the quote box dope.

So it says gun stores (licensed shops) are required to do background checks and straw purchases are illegal.

Nowhere did he say private sales require background checks, only when they are straw purchases are they illegal.

How does that support your point?

Forum List

Back