🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Pope Francis calls for censorship of anti-religious speech

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
The Jonathan Pryce look-alike proves once again that he's just as loony as the characters Pryce plays. Remember - free speech does not include hate speech.

Pope on Charlie Hebdo There are limits to freedom of expression when faith is insulted Fox News

jan 15 2015

ABOARD THE PAPAL PLANE – Pope Francis said Thursday there are limits to freedom of expression, especially when it insults or ridicules someone's faith.

Francis spoke about the Paris terror attacks while en route to the Philippines, defending free speech as not only a fundamental human right but a duty to speak one's mind for the sake of the common good.

But he said there were limits.

By way of example, he referred to Alberto Gasparri, who organizes papal trips and was standing by his side aboard the papal plane.

"If my good friend Dr. Gasparri says a curse word against my mother, he can expect a punch," Francis said, throwing a pretend punch his way. "It's normal. You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others."

Why do so few people realize that hate speech is something that involves those factors beyond a person's control and not an ideology they choose freely?

If I were to decide to become an anarcho-syndicalist and somebody were to ridicule me for the childishness of it, would they be indulging in hate speech? The particular type of ideology we call religion should be no different.

Why do so few people realize that hate speech is something that involves those factors beyond a person's control and not an ideology they choose freely?

If I were to decide to become an anarcho-syndicalist and somebody were to ridicule me for the childishness of it, would they be indulging in hate speech? The particular type of ideology we call religion should be no different.
True. I can find elements of x religion offensive, and I can laugh at religious practices I find silly. Also I could draw cartoons mocking and making fun of religious faiths. However, religious people have the right to do the same back to me. That's a free society. Not offending people is an impossible feat, and ends up with a slippery slope to tyranny.

The Jonathan Pryce look-alike proves once again that he's just as loony as the characters Pryce plays. Remember - free speech does not include hate speech.

Pope on Charlie Hebdo There are limits to freedom of expression when faith is insulted Fox News

jan 15 2015

ABOARD THE PAPAL PLANE – Pope Francis said Thursday there are limits to freedom of expression, especially when it insults or ridicules someone's faith.

Francis spoke about the Paris terror attacks while en route to the Philippines, defending free speech as not only a fundamental human right but a duty to speak one's mind for the sake of the common good.

But he said there were limits.

By way of example, he referred to Alberto Gasparri, who organizes papal trips and was standing by his side aboard the papal plane.

"If my good friend Dr. Gasparri says a curse word against my mother, he can expect a punch," Francis said, throwing a pretend punch his way. "It's normal. You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others."

yes-----it's not nice. The pope is right----it's not nice and muslims should stop doing it. A political cartoonist is not
a nextdoor neighbor. As far as I know----no one tried to kill
Aristophanes. For really raunchy political cartoons in the
USA----check back to the mid 1800s ----or the current publications done in Arabic. As for insulting parents or female relatives ------
it is the CORE of Arabic slurs A little lesson for the naïve------when an Arabic speaker sneers "abouk"----at you together with a jumble of other words-------that refers to
"your father"--------"emak" is----"your mother" "achtah" is
"your sister"--------for the other word-----check Freddie's posts. For correct pronunciation of "abouk" and
"emak" and "achtah" -----don a crucifix necklace and take a walk near a mosque on Friday (a star of david works too)

True. I can find elements of x religion offensive, and I can laugh at religious practices I find silly. Also I could draw cartoons mocking and making fun of religious faiths. However, religious people have the right to do the same back to me. That's a free society. Not offending people is an impossible feat, and ends up with a slippery slope to tyranny.
The Pope likely doesn't understand free expression in the context of American law.

The Pope likely doesn't understand free expression in the context of American law.
HE's highly educated and I bet he does. He's no better than the other religious nitwits in the Christian world. He just has better looking garments

The present pope is Hispanic from south America-----
very sweet people in their concepts of proper etiquette.
I can mumble a few Spanish words (with difficulty) and used this fantastic ability in interacting with Spanish speakers in
my town and my work which included interviewing people.
Brialliant me once asked about FAMILIA ----by saying
"...... su madre......" A real Spanish speaking young lady
coworker gasped "say "su mama" " "su madre, it turns out is a bit impolite" (?????) it kinda is like saying
EMAK to an Arabic speaker (along with the other words)

very sensitive people

The present pope is Hispanic from south America-----
very sweet people in their concepts of proper etiquette.
I can mumble a few Spanish words (with difficulty) and used this fantastic ability in interacting with Spanish speakers in
my town and my work which included interviewing people.
Brialliant me once asked about FAMILIA ----by saying
"...... su madre......" A real Spanish speaking young lady
coworker gasped "say "su mama" " "su madre, it turns out is a bit impolite" (?????) it kinda is like saying
EMAK to an Arabic speaker (along with the other words)

very sensitive people
how quaint, and patronizing of you

Hey Pope! :ahole-1:

not nice, jerk------the real Dante almost faced
the inquisition-----I think----I am not sure----but
that jerk put an ex-pope in hell BTW----the real Dante
was in love with a child. Her name just slipped my mind---
give me a moment

give me a moment

The Pope is an antiquated office. The Pope has no special channel to the imaginary god of christianity. He just has a claim to the 'seat of Peter'

anarcho-syndicalist?

anarcho-syndicalist?
a publisher who refuses to publish?

give me a moment

The Pope is an antiquated office. The Pope has no special channel to the imaginary god of christianity. He just has a claim to the 'seat of Peter'

Peter----according to the NT-----is the heir to Jesus----
sorta. So stated by Jesus himself. Christianity is a
religion. Popes are not just anyone-----they got very good
marks in school. Their opinions are important.

anarcho-syndicalist?

jews control the media.

give me a moment

Peter----according to the NT-----is the heir to Jesus----
sorta. So stated by Jesus himself. Christianity is a
religion. Popes are not just anyone-----they got very good
marks in school. Their opinions are important.

Started by Jesus? :lol: Jesus was a Jew. He preached to Jews

anarcho-syndicalist?

jews control the media.
Jesus started control of the media?

As a Catholic, though I no longer practice the faith I was raised in, I expect the Pope to be the most catholic of Catholics. I expect him to be anti-abortion, anti-death penalty, pro-charity, anti-capitalist, and yes, pro God.

I don't agree with the Pope's stand on much, but that is what I expect of the leader of the Catholic Church. This is no surprise to me.

Forum List

Back