Pope Francis Raises Idea of ‘Solutions’ to Clergy Celibacy

Wow...this Pope is shaking some shit up! He's rocking the joint and I'm loving it. Go Frankie Go!!!

Pope Francis reportedly called the Catholic Church’s requirement that its clergy remain celibate a “problem” for which “there are solutions,” during a controversial interview with an Italian newspaper.​

Let priests marry, that's your solution.

A celibate Clergy is the result of the political situation of the late dark ages/medieval period. It allowed families to shunt sons into something that would support them, but prevent them from having progeny requiring inheritances.

If you think this will lead to other changes of position, I hate to dash your hopes. Positions against homosexuality, abortion, euthanasia, etc are doctrines based on the bible. Celibate priests are not.

Yet there are churches that accept the right to choose and accept gays, despite what the bible says.

Christianity is mostly pretending that the crazier shit in the bible isn't there, or pretending that Jesus took "backsies" on things like murdering your neighbors for working on Sunday or not eating shrimp when he really didn't.

The big problem the Catholics have is that most Catholics just ignore the Church on these moral issues. It's why most churches have priests preaching to mostly empty pews except for the old people hedging their bets.

Lighten-Up-Francis_zps20c6bf2c.jpg

Wow...this Pope is shaking some shit up! He's rocking the joint and I'm loving it. Go Frankie Go!!!

Pope Francis reportedly called the Catholic Church’s requirement that its clergy remain celibate a “problem” for which “there are solutions,” during a controversial interview with an Italian newspaper.​

There is no reason not to allow priests to marry other than tradition

Marriage will allow priests to live normal lives, give them insight into the married lives of parishioners and encourage future generations of children to become priests ( my father was a priest)

The church quit allowing priests to marry so that when they die, their possessions will be left to the church. It has to do with greed, not religion.

Like the late, great Earl Butz once said about the pope....

You no playa da game, you no maka da rules

Marriage will allow priests to live normal lives, give them insight into the married lives of parishioners and encourage future generations of children to become priests ( my father was a priest)

The church quit allowing priests to marry so that when they die, their possessions will be left to the church. It has to do with greed, not religion.

Actually it was more as an outlet for rich families to get rid of sons without worrying about their legitimate progeny fighting over the family inheritances.

Actually it was more as an outlet for rich families to get rid of sons without worrying about their legitimate progeny fighting over the family inheritances.

Well, yes and no. The thing is, Christianity has always had an anti-sexual component to it.

It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband. -- 1 Corinthians 7:1-2

For I would that all men were even as I myself.... I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn. -- 1 Corinthians 7:7-9

Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife. -- 1 Corinthians 7:27

But this I say, brethren, the time is short: it remaineth, that both they that have wives be as though they had none. -- 1 Corinthians 7:29

A celibate Clergy is the result of the political situation of the late dark ages/medieval period. It allowed families to shunt sons into something that would support them, but prevent them from having progeny requiring inheritances.

If you think this will lead to other changes of position, I hate to dash your hopes. Positions against homosexuality, abortion, euthanasia, etc are doctrines based on the bible. Celibate priests are not.

Maybe the church can help convince others that male sex drives are innate and not a perversion.
Fat chance. Religion's purpose mostly is to force people to conform. Not necessarily a bad thing, many people need conformity. But losing the ability to guilt you into submission is a huge bit too let go of.
Sounds like government too

Bingo! It was a way for the church to pad its coffers even more. Time for it to end.

Well, yes and no. The thing is, Christianity has always had an anti-sexual component to it.

It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband. -- 1 Corinthians 7:1-2

For I would that all men were even as I myself.... I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn. -- 1 Corinthians 7:7-9

Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife. -- 1 Corinthians 7:27

But this I say, brethren, the time is short: it remaineth, that both they that have wives be as though they had none. -- 1 Corinthians 7:29

Paul was a person of gnostic/monastic bent, and saw denial of sexual desire as a method of becoming closer to God. He did however recognize that this was not possible for all people, and instructed those to could not or even should not to keep it in marriage.

Also, you are cherry picking specific lines out of context, and you know it.

I agree

I think it is more about sexual hangups in the church

11th commandment: Sex is dirty

Bingo! It was a way for the church to pad its coffers even more. Time for it to end.

During the time the sons had no possessions when they entered the clergy, that was the whole point of them entering said clergy.

The church acquired wealth via largess from nobles/royalty, tithing, and in the early times outright conquest.

Do you have evidence of this "become a priest lose your property to the church" method?

I agree

Unrestrained sex is a distraction, not dirty. Within the bounds of a monogamous relationship its just fine.

I agree

Unrestrained sex is a distraction, not dirty. Within the bounds of a monogamous relationship its just fine.

I'm sure you meant to say married, right ?

I agree

For the Church, its married, for me, its monogamy. I know I'm a lapsed Catholic who is having sex outside of marriage, but it's monogamous, and the marriage thing will be taken care of next year.

During the time the sons had no possessions when they entered the clergy, that was the whole point of them entering said clergy.

The church acquired wealth via largess from nobles/royalty, tithing, and in the early times outright conquest.

Do you have evidence of this "become a priest lose your property to the church" method?

Well...there was Pope Benedict VIII. He issued a decree preventing the children of priests from inheriting the property of their father. How come?

Money and power...it's what makes the world go 'round.

Well...there was Pope Benedict VIII. He issued a decree preventing the children of priests from inheriting the property of their father. How come?

Money and power...it's what makes the world go 'round.

It wasn't used to take property from a family and give it to the Church, it was to prevent Church property from being divided amongst a priest's heirs, as during the 800's celibacy was not the hard Church Position yet.

For the Church, its married, for me, its monogamy. I know I'm a lapsed Catholic who is having sex outside of marriage, but it's monogamous, and the marriage thing will be taken care of next year.

congrats---I'm sure all will be forgiven

For Catholics, forgiveness is actually pretty easy, and even then for stuff like this its usually purgatory, not hell.

I can do a few Eons in a cleansing fire.

(1) The RC Church has had some married priests in recent memory - Men who were Episcopal or Anglican priests and converted, and were allowed to take RC vows as diocesan priests. The world did not end.

(2) It is inevitable that the RC Church will one day have married priests, but they will not be priests who got married, but rather married men who became priests.

(3) The RC Church believes that the sacrament of Holy Orders is a permanent ordination, that lasts a lifetime. Thus, there are many, many men who were priests, quit, and later got married. For better or worse, they are still priests and can still administer the sacraments, though without the Church's "blessing."

(4) The biggest impediment to allowing married priests now is inertia. Where and how would they live? What about their wives and kids? Could they have outside "jobs" to earn their living? A lot of practical issues. Also, the men who are currently priests who consider that they GAVE UP a life that they would have liked may feel like they have been betrayed.

(5) Through celibacy, the Church has unintentionally and unwittingly created a life environment that is quite friendly to homosexuals and pedophiles. Although there are no hard numbers available - for obvious reasons - it is likely that the percentage of priests who are "gay" is many times the percentage in the general population - maybe 15-20%.

(6) Women priests are also inevitable, and will quickly follow the reforms that will permit married priests. But it may be too late to salvage an institution that is slowly becoming irrelevant.

I agree

What is distracting about unrestrained sex?

Forum List

Back