Pope says too much emphasis on gays, abortion and contraception

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Pope seeks less focus on abortion, gays, contraception

Pope Francis says bluntly that the church has been too focused on the issues of abortion, gay marriage and contraception and suggests it find a "new balance" to deliver its message. We cannot insist only on issues related to abortion, gay marriage and the use of contraceptive methods," Pope Francis said. "This is not possible

On other points:

•The role of the church: "The thing the church needs most today is the ability to heal wounds and to warm the hearts of the faithful; it needs nearness, proximity. I see the church as a field hospital after battle."

•Homosexuality: "A person once asked me, in a provocative manner, if I approved of homosexuality. I replied with another question: 'Tell me: when God looks at a gay person, does he endorse the existence of this person with love, or reject and condemn this person?' We must always consider the person."

•Women in the church:- "The feminine genius is needed wherever we make important decisions. The challenge today is this: to think about the specific place of women also in those places where the authority of the church is exercised for various areas of the church."

Last edited:
I agree. though I think most of the focus from the Church on these things is do to the reactive nature of the Church rather than the Church's desire to focus on this

Berlusconi would not have been tried if gay: Putin | Reuters

Berlusconi would not have been tried if gay: Putin

(Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin rallied behind his old friend Silvio Berlusconi on Thursday, saying the former Italian prime minister would not have faced trial for having sex with a minor if he were gay.

"Berlusconi is being tried because he lives with women. If he were homosexual, no one would lift a finger against him," he told a gathering of journalists and Russia experts.

Not everyone is getting the message. Putin and The Russians are the new Religious morality.

Pope Francis says bluntly that the church has been too focused on the issues of abortion, gay marriage and contraception and suggests it find a "new balance" to deliver its message. We cannot insist only on issues related to abortion, gay marriage and the use of contraceptive methods," Pope Francis said. "This is not possible

On other points:

•The role of the church: "The thing the church needs most today is the ability to heal wounds and to warm the hearts of the faithful; it needs nearness, proximity. I see the church as a field hospital after battle."

•Homosexuality: "A person once asked me, in a provocative manner, if I approved of homosexuality. I replied with another question: 'Tell me: when God looks at a gay person, does he endorse the existence of this person with love, or reject and condemn this person?' We must always consider the person."

•Women in the church:- "The feminine genius is needed wherever we make important decisions. The challenge today is this: to think about the specific place of women also in those places where the authority of the church is exercised for various areas of the church."

To rightwinger: My fear is popes in politics and politicians dabbling in morality. Separation of church and state begins and ends with philosophy. Either one crossing the line smacks of theocracy.

Pope Francis appears to be okay because he is speaking to the behavior of Roman Catholics; nevertheless, politicians inevitably jump on religious morality and free people get this:

First we abhor. Then we tolerate. Then we embrace. Then we legislate.

Did the new pope actually say “gay is OK” and people don’t need to believe in God to get to heaven?

Not really, according to many traditional-Catholic analysts who insist his highly publicized remarks over the summer have been taken out of context or misunderstood by a largely post-Christian Western world.

Nevertheless, Pope Francis clearly has struck a new, conciliatory tone on issues such as homosexuality, abortion and the role of women. And in a fresh interview in which he declared, “I have never been a right-winger,” he makes it clear that the Roman Catholic Church needs to change the way it communicates with the world.

Pope: 'I have never been a right-winger'
Francis opens up about his provocative new tone in fresh interview
Published: 9 hours ago
ART MOORE

Pope: ?I have never been a right-winger?

Irrespective of the Pope Francis’ message to his flock, the Left is killing the country with tolerance.

Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. Aristotle

The pope has his eye on the ball

The Church has been too wrapped up in the trappings of religion and trivial religious dogma

There are a billion starving people while un told wealth is being generated

Feed the poor.....how Christian

The pope has his eye on the ball

The Church has been too wrapped up in the trappings of religion and trivial religious dogma

There are a billion starving people while un told wealth is being generated

Feed the poor.....how Christian

You know, there was a disciple in Christ's time who complained that Christ should be doing more for the poor and neglected weightier matters.

I've found over time, the same spirit that caused him to murmer is the same one in those who currently complain about the Church not doing enough for the poor when they focus on other important matters.

While those who have been called to be Saints have an obligation to assist the poor and needy, that is not their main purpose. The main purpose of the Church is to bring people to faith in Christ and Repentence.

On other points:

It appears that he is going to attempt to pull the Catholic Church kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Or at least the 20th. Good for him, it is about time.

On other points:

It appears that he is going to attempt to pull the Catholic Church kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Or at least the 20th. Good for him, it is about time.

You do realize that this changes nothing on the Church's view that homosexuality, abortion, and contraception are sins, its probably just a change in how the church will "render unto ceasar?"

I doubt the church will stop fighting, however attempts to force them to provide BC and abortion services to thier employees.

On other points:

You do realize that this changes nothing on the Church's view that homosexuality, abortion, and contraception are sins, its probably just a change in how the church will "render unto ceasar?"

I doubt the church will stop fighting, however attempts to force them to provide BC and abortion services to thier employees.

It is a start towards sanity.

Now, if they could just(I hate to be the one to say it), give up the little boys and their sexual perversions.

So its insane to think Abortion, contraception and same sex relations are sinful?

So its insane to think Abortion, contraception and same sex relations are sinful?

Abortion? I can see it
Contraception and same sex relations? I think the Church has bigger fish to fry

Mr and Mrs Smith are using a condom? Who cares?
A gay couple loves eachother and has sex or people are starving in the streets
Where should the churches attention lie?

Last edited:

If taken to extremes, yes.

Abortion? I can see it

All are sins, but to differing degrees. Abortion is the willful destruction of life, contraception is the prevention of life, and homosexuality is the misuse of sexual activity (which is supposed to result in life).

Abortion? I can see it

All are sins, but to differing degrees. Abortion is the willful destruction of life, contraception is the prevention of life, and homosexuality is the misuse of sexual activity (which is supposed to result in life).

Yea...yea

And if you don't stop masterbating you will go blind

The church has better things to do than obsess over the bedroom activities of their parish. Things like hunger, illness, poverty

You know....the stuff Jesus used to be concerned about

Abortion? I can see it

Yea...yea

And if you don't stop masterbating you will go blind

The church has better things to do than obsess over the bedroom activities of their parish. Things like hunger, illness, poverty

You know....the stuff Jesus used to be concerned about

Actually opponents of the church focus on this stuff FAR MORE than the actual clergy. I guess its the progressives natural inability to be able to take being told not to do something because its wrong.

Forum List

Back