Post Office to stop Saturday Delivery

. For example, why have employee carriers? Most are contract now.

what do you mean by Contract?.....

Contract rural carriers. Non employee mail carriers.
Since I left NJ every place I have lived, even in Charlotte, I have had contract carriers ( use their own vehicles, do not wear USPS uniforms, etc) deliver mail to me residence.
In upstate NY, My friend lives in a small city. The mail is delivered by USPS carriers inside the city limits. In the surrounding communities, the mail is delivered by contract carriers.

heh...I bet the contract carriers are not unionized....

And therefore, they must be very, very bad.

https://www.nrlca.org/PublicPages/Home.aspx

If the USPS thinks that stopping Saturday mail will put them in the black, go for it. Do it. But maybe they also need to think about closing some post offices or consolidating them. Maybe they need to renegotiate the union contracts.

If the USPS was a private company it would have been out of business in bankruptcy years ago.

The USPS tries to please the public. I think they do a good job, but need to expand more into the package delivery business and they intend on adding Sunday delivery. They have the largest fleet of vehicles on Earth.

Revenue US$ 486.429 billion (2011)[2]

Employees 82,100 (2011)[2]

Source: ExxonMobil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Annual budget $70.634 billion (2011)[3]

Employees 546,000 (2012 Career Employees)[2]

Source: United States Postal Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is a stark contrast between a corporation with few jobs and what essentially is a non-profit organization. Obviously USPS is labor intensive and even if you subtract their budget deficit, there is still large demand for their services, because that number would reflect revenue. In package delivery their main competion stats out like this:

Revenue US$ 53.105 billion (2013)[1]

Employees 398,300 (December 2011)[1]

Source: United Parcel Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Revenue US$ 42.7 billion (2012)[1]

Employees 300,000 (2012)[1]

Source: FedEx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comparing USPS to UPS on a revenue per employee bases would put UPS employees at 492,270. Comparing UPS to FedEx would put FedEx at 373,103, which is less than UPS, but the 300,000 figure looks suspicious. Basically, the two package delivery corporations have about the same amount of people and USPS has more for the revenue they receive.

My opinion about what USPS should do has finally been done to some extent. I thought they should get involved in the package delivery business, because I knew there was growth in that business. I thought losing Wednesday delivery was a good idea, until I thought about every other day delivery. If they could get concessions from states on weekend overtime requirements, that would be the way to go and make a profit that could cut rates.

Think about it, you get your mail every other day and packages throughout the week from USPS, just like any other service. Their employees can rotate their work schedules to sort mail or packages when not delivering. They would use their existing manpower better and expand their market. That's called having business sense.

USPS is becoming no more obsolete than FedEX and UPS.

Then why are they operating at a net income loss, even with a monopoly of first class postage?

:eusa_hand:

Rhetorical question: I'm certain you don't know the answer.

Nice toss from the land of the uninformed and hysterical.
Hey udder breath, why is it then that both UPS and Fed Ex continue to grow their business turn a profit and in case you wanted to ignore it, hire more workers? Meanwhile the USPS continues to get bombed by losses?
Ok time is up. Your answer please?

Hey... retards. Please explain to me how being unable to turn a profit means that what you offer is obsolete?

So many businesses fail to turn the profit they aim for or would like, but it isn't necessarily(and usually isn't) an indicator that what they offer is obsolete. It's just that they can't turn a profit.

The USPS offers the exact same thing as FedEX and UPS... neither of which offer obsolete services. All three carry parcels. The USPS just has a monopoly on the letter mail... which isn't obsolete, even if it's not turning a profit.

Last edited:
If the USPS thinks that stopping Saturday mail will put them in the black, go for it. Do it. But maybe they also need to think about closing some post offices or consolidating them. Maybe they need to renegotiate the union contracts.

If the USPS was a private company it would have been out of business in bankruptcy years ago.

they have been closing Post Offices......i dont know about the other Unions but the Carrier Contract was just settled by Binding Arbitration......if the PO was a private company it would be able to make a profit and would probably always have real genuine business people in charge instead of ex carriers and clerks....mostly clerks....my opinion has always been if they had good business people in charge and they were able to run the business as they see fit without having to get permission to shit and make a profit.....all the other delivery services would be much smaller......and would not matter.....

:eusa_eh:

You really think I, or most Americans give a shit who makes the products we buy?

Particularly if they are American, regardless of their union affiliation?
:cuckoo:

Keep drinking the koolaid your union local rep is mixing up for you.

Outside of your own selfishness, you aren't the give a shit type.

boo hoo

Yes you are the ONLY ONE THAT CARES!!!!

:cuckoo:

Whenever faced with irrefutable fact, fall back on unsubstantiated emotion: #1 Rule of The Bleeding Heart Handbook of Debate.
Dubya is a Dipshit......

Then why are they operating at a net income loss, even with a monopoly of first class postage?

:eusa_hand:

Rhetorical question: I'm certain you don't know the answer.

Nice toss from the land of the uninformed and hysterical.
Hey udder breath, why is it then that both UPS and Fed Ex continue to grow their business turn a profit and in case you wanted to ignore it, hire more workers? Meanwhile the USPS continues to get bombed by losses?
Ok time is up. Your answer please?

Hey... retards. Please explain to me how being unable to turn a profit means that what you offer is obsolete?

So many businesses fail to turn the profit they aim for or would like, but it isn't necessarily(and usually isn't) an indicator that what they offer is obsolete. It's just that they can't turn a profit.

The USPS offers the exact same thing as FedEX and UPS... neither of which offer obsolete services. All three carry parcels. The USPS just has a monopoly on the letter mail... which isn't obsolete, even if it's not turning a profit.

UPS and FedEx select their markets and the USPS doesn't. I suggested USPS switch to every other day mail delivery and package delivery throughout the whole week to compete against UPS and FedEx. That doesn't mean USPS can't offer services in cities that are more often than every other day or better overnight delivery for targeted areas that are profitable. USPS doesn't have to market the same services to everybody in the country and they should start acting more like a business and actively compete. I know I could turn a profit for USPS that would cut rates and not do it by massive layoffs. I'd be increasing my market share by taking away my competitor's business and need most of those employees and eventually more.

That sounds like a typical right-wing response, but you aren't the world. If you don't want to use the USPS then don't use it. It's as simple as that. I don't use it, but I have enough sense to know I'm not everybody and some people need it. So I care about the people who do need it and I care about more than half a million union jobs. That's who cares!

I bet you also care that USPS union employees continue to vote for democrat candidates

... the largest employer of union employees, the United States Postal Service..

That's the only thing you care about and reality never has anything to do with your type of opinions. The reality of politics should be don't piss off large groups of people. It's really smart for Republicans to oppose a business just because the people are union members, but that's what you have been doing for years.

You should only use FedEx regardless of rates, because UPS is also union. Don't let the fact that FedEx doesn't serve everywhere stop you. See how simple that is? You shouldn't use the cops and firefighters, gasoline and fuels or any vehicle made with union labor. Most materials are out, because those chemical plants are union. Don't use electricity, because that's union too. You need to give up those guns, because if you can find a gun that a scab made, the ammo is union. You need to limit your diet to food only produced and shipped with non-union labor.

Now run along and piss off the Hispanics and Blacks like you Republicans have been. Make sure you Republicans continue to vote against every increase in minimum wage so it continues to be a small percentage of it's historical high when the people in America made good wages and business was thriving.

Just stay away from all union products and see if you can live!
:eusa_boohoo:
I will now take out my jet black assault rifle and blow a few tunnels through your whiny ass rant.
"That's the only thing you care about and reality never has anything to do with your type of opinions. "... Now if anyone is reading this quickly, they'd see a contradictory statement. It isn't, however the statement still makes no sense. Your idea presents itself as though you believe there should never be ANY opposition to unionized labor. That permitting unions to an unfettered existence is somehow sacrosanct. Well such a right does not exist and of course unions are dying out pretty rapidly. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that no matter the like or dislike of unions, they are creating their own demise.
The situation the USPS is in has zero to do with politics and your assertion that the support or opposition to the way USPS does business falls along party lines is disingenuous.
Groups? HA! It is you liberals that have successfully herded people into groups and pitted them against each other. This is the reason why the country has never been more divided.
Unions do not have near the juice they once had. So if union members want to whine, let them. Why deal with them. They vote democrat in lockstep anyway. And since union members make up just 6.6% of the workforce, they are quite insignificant in the overall picture.
Using a company because it is union is every bit as stupid as using a business that is not union. That eliminates options. In the business world that is the height of stupidity.
I would like to know where "most" of the businesses to which you refer are unionized. Perhaps you are a resident of of a European country. Because we don't have that here.
Hispanics and blacks....Two more groups of people you libs have dangled taxpayer funded goodies in front of in order to buy their votes.

Hey genius, look here. In 1986 Reagan granted amnesty to over 3 million illegals. Now remembering that in 1984 Reagan got 37% of the Latino vote...As a result of this amnesty, George Bush (41) got just 30% of the Latino vote. So even though a republican gave the Latinos something they wanted, Latinos still voted democrat in larger numbers.
Emotional rants such as yours do not change the facts.

Good.

One less day of checking the mailbox for useless crap.

Personally, I hate the junk mail. Its usually on the kind of paper that is slippery so eventually it ends up on the dam floor on the way to the trash can.

I wish there was a way to not get it delivered to me. I didnt ask for it, dont know why I get it.

The USPS tries to please the public.

Yes, every business tries to do this.

Did you learn this at the Department of Funny Walks, Self -evident facts Division?

Every business doesn't do it, fool! Did you learn being a fool on the internet or were you born that way?
In your posts I see one constant. Your propensity to hurl insults. Is this because you are incensed over disagreement with your point of view?

I bet you also care that USPS union employees continue to vote for democrat candidates

... the largest employer of union employees, the United States Postal Service..

That's the only thing you care about and reality never has anything to do with your type of opinions. The reality of politics should be don't piss off large groups of people. It's really smart for Republicans to oppose a business just because the people are union members, but that's what you have been doing for years.

You should only use FedEx regardless of rates, because UPS is also union. Don't let the fact that FedEx doesn't serve everywhere stop you. See how simple that is? You shouldn't use the cops and firefighters, gasoline and fuels or any vehicle made with union labor. Most materials are out, because those chemical plants are union. Don't use electricity, because that's union too. You need to give up those guns, because if you can find a gun that a scab made, the ammo is union. You need to limit your diet to food only produced and shipped with non-union labor.

Now run along and piss off the Hispanics and Blacks like you Republicans have been. Make sure you Republicans continue to vote against every increase in minimum wage so it continues to be a small percentage of it's historical high when the people in America made good wages and business was thriving.

I will now take out my jet black assault rifle and blow a few tunnels through your whiny ass rant.
"That's the only thing you care about and reality never has anything to do with your type of opinions. "... Now if anyone is reading this quickly, they'd see a contradictory statement. It isn't, however the statement still makes no sense. Your idea presents itself as though you believe there should never be ANY opposition to unionized labor. That permitting unions to an unfettered existence is somehow sacrosanct. Well such a right does not exist and of course unions are dying out pretty rapidly. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that no matter the like or dislike of unions, they are creating their own demise.
The situation the USPS is in has zero to do with politics and your assertion that the support or opposition to the way USPS does business falls along party lines is disingenuous.
Groups? HA! It is you liberals that have successfully herded people into groups and pitted them against each other. This is the reason why the country has never been more divided.
Unions do not have near the juice they once had. So if union members want to whine, let them. Why deal with them. They vote democrat in lockstep anyway. And since union members make up just 6.6% of the workforce, they are quite insignificant in the overall picture.
Using a company because it is union is every bit as stupid as using a business that is not union. That eliminates options. In the business world that is the height of stupidity.
I would like to know where "most" of the businesses to which you refer are unionized. Perhaps you are a resident of of a European country. Because we don't have that here.
Hispanics and blacks....Two more groups of people you libs have dangled taxpayer funded goodies in front of in order to buy their votes.

Hey genius, look here. In 1986 Reagan granted amnesty to over 3 million illegals. Now remembering that in 1984 Reagan got 37% of the Latino vote...As a result of this amnesty, George Bush (41) got just 30% of the Latino vote. So even though a republican gave the Latinos something they wanted, Latinos still voted democrat in larger numbers.

It's bullshit and the right-wing goes out of it's way to oppose anything connected to union. We know that's the concern of you phonies, so why don't you just admit it.

You're Scabs and we all know it.

Yes, every business tries to do this.

Did you learn this at the Department of Funny Walks, Self -evident facts Division?

Every business doesn't do it, fool! Did you learn being a fool on the internet or were you born that way?
In your posts I see one constant. Your propensity to hurl insults. Is this because you are incensed over disagreement with your point of view?

Does Big Oil try to please the public, Scab?

Good.

One less day of checking the mailbox for useless crap.

Personally, I hate the junk mail. Its usually on the kind of paper that is slippery so eventually it ends up on the dam floor on the way to the trash can.

I wish there was a way to not get it delivered to me. I didnt ask for it, dont know why I get it.

We had a system where most junk mail could be rejected, but I don't know if it's still in effect since I moved to another location and I don't get junk mail.

It's bullshit and the right-wing goes out of it's way to oppose anything connected to union. We know that's the concern of you phonies, so why don't you just admit it.

You're Scabs and we all know it.

Yes. Nearly 94% of US Workers are scabs..
You are a whiner. A complainer.
A goose that shits gold bricks could be delivered to your door, make you wealthy beyond your imagination and you'd complain about the Goose's call waking you up at 11 o'clock in the morning.

Postal Service to cut Saturday mail to trim costs | US National Headlines | Comcast

The U.S. Postal Service will stop delivering mail on Saturdays but continue to deliver packages six days a week under a plan aimed at saving about $2 billion annually, the financially struggling agency says.

In an announcement scheduled for later Wednesday, the service is expected to say the Saturday mail cutback would begin in August.

The move accentuates one of the agency's strong points — package delivery has increased by 14 percent since 2010, officials say, while the delivery of letters and other mail has declined with the increasing use of email and other Internet services.

How about stop all delivery ? Government mismanagement at its best. They can keep all there junk mail, what a dinosaur.:clap2::clap2:

Ah..so you DO want to change the Constitution..

:lol:

The USPS tries to please the public. I think they do a good job, but need to expand more into the package delivery business and they intend on adding Sunday delivery. They have the largest fleet of vehicles on Earth.

Revenue US$ 486.429 billion (2011)[2]

Employees 82,100 (2011)[2]

Source: ExxonMobil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Source: United States Postal Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is a stark contrast between a corporation with few jobs and what essentially is a non-profit organization. Obviously USPS is labor intensive and even if you subtract their budget deficit, there is still large demand for their services, because that number would reflect revenue. In package delivery their main competion stats out like this:

Revenue US$ 53.105 billion (2013)[1]

Employees 398,300 (December 2011)[1]

Source: United Parcel Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Revenue US$ 42.7 billion (2012)[1]

Employees 300,000 (2012)[1]

Source: FedEx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comparing USPS to UPS on a revenue per employee bases would put UPS employees at 492,270. Comparing UPS to FedEx would put FedEx at 373,103, which is less than UPS, but the 300,000 figure looks suspicious. Basically, the two package delivery corporations have about the same amount of people and USPS has more for the revenue they receive.

My opinion about what USPS should do has finally been done to some extent. I thought they should get involved in the package delivery business, because I knew there was growth in that business. I thought losing Wednesday delivery was a good idea, until I thought about every other day delivery. If they could get concessions from states on weekend overtime requirements, that would be the way to go and make a profit that could cut rates.

Think about it, you get your mail every other day and packages throughout the week from USPS, just like any other service. Their employees can rotate their work schedules to sort mail or packages when not delivering. They would use their existing manpower better and expand their market. That's called having business sense.

if you knew anything about the internal workings of the PO you would never suggest such stupid things.....bottom line....none of your delivery proposals would work......

UPS and FedEx select their markets and the USPS doesn't. I suggested USPS switch to every other day mail delivery and package delivery throughout the whole week to compete against UPS and FedEx. That doesn't mean USPS can't offer services in cities that are more often than every other day or better overnight delivery for targeted areas that are profitable. USPS doesn't have to market the same services to everybody in the country and they should start acting more like a business and actively compete. I know I could turn a profit for USPS that would cut rates and not do it by massive layoffs. I'd be increasing my market share by taking away my competitor's business and need most of those employees and eventually more.

never work......you have no idea of what you are talking about....

Forum List

Back