Post Office to stop Saturday Delivery

The legislation was poorly designed, has been poorly implemented, and has hurt the USPS.
The USPS hurts itself because the system is inefficient and the pricing schedule is stupid.
Why ship a letter across the country for the same price as shipping a letter across town?
Postal rates should be set by the distance the package travels.
UPS has zone rates. Why not the USPS?

They do for parcel post.

DMM Notice 123 Price List

I don't think it would be good business and practical to charge different rates for general mail. It would be smart to do things in cities to make a quick buck that is different than general delivery. I still think the best solution is to go to every other day delivery for general mail and make exceptions were the market is profitable, like large cities. The plan now is to drop Saturday delivery, but isn't going from 6 to 3 1/2 smarter than 6 to 5? They should compete with things like express delivery, but only were it's profitable. I think USPS needs to get away from the model of treating everybody the same, but I don't think getting away from stamps sending a letter is the way to do it. I think they should have a general delivery every other day and try to get states or the union to give them a concession on weekend pay, similar to rotating shifts. Having mail delivered every other day is good enough for normal mail pick up and delivery and less time delivering mail would allow more time for other work, such as sorting. Another place that labor could be used is to gain more of the package delivery business and go head to toe with their competition. Premium delivery could be offered in cities where it is profitable, again going after their competion. They should include 7 day package delivery in their plans and make all their services at least equal and cheaper than their competition. USPS has a strength in that it doesn't have to make a profit, so it should use that strength to it's own advantage. The competition has shown it the way, because they are only looking for the high profit markets. USPS needs to free up it's human resources and take on the competition with what is essentially free labor based on it's present business model.

The USPS hurts itself because the system is inefficient and the pricing schedule is stupid.
Why ship a letter across the country for the same price as shipping a letter across town?
Postal rates should be set by the distance the package travels.
UPS has zone rates. Why not the USPS?

They do for parcel post.

DMM Notice 123 Price List

I don't think it would be good business and practical to charge different rates for general mail. It would be smart to do things in cities to make a quick buck that is different than general delivery. I still think the best solution is to go to every other day delivery for general mail and make exceptions were the market is profitable, like large cities. The plan now is to drop Saturday delivery, but isn't going from 6 to 3 1/2 smarter than 6 to 5? They should compete with things like express delivery, but only were it's profitable. I think USPS needs to get away from the model of treating everybody the same, but I don't think getting away from stamps sending a letter is the way to do it. I think they should have a general delivery every other day and try to get states or the union to give them a concession on weekend pay, similar to rotating shifts. Having mail delivered every other day is good enough for normal mail pick up and delivery and less time delivering mail would allow more time for other work, such as sorting. Another place that labor could be used is to gain more of the package delivery business and go head to toe with their competition. Premium delivery could be offered in cities where it is profitable, again going after their competion. They should include 7 day package delivery in their plans and make all their services at least equal and cheaper than their competition. USPS has a strength in that it doesn't have to make a profit, so it should use that strength to it's own advantage. The competition has shown it the way, because they are only looking for the high profit markets. USPS needs to free up it's human resources and take on the competition with what is essentially free labor based on it's present business model.

you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.......

The post office is in the constitution...we don't want judges to try to interpret what the founders meant do we?

Clean up the mess, or stick a fork in it , its done, mulit billion dollar pit of failure .

So you plan on having the constitution amended?

Unnecessary.

The USPS is already dieing. First Saturday delivery goes...then Friday.....a few more years Monday....

:eusa_eh:

By 2020 I don't expect to get a Constitutionally Protected Victoria's Secret catalog more than once a month.:confused:

Again, if these folks calling for the destruction of the USPS could get a rate quote to send a package to their son or daughter serving overseas, they'd be crying for it's reinstatement.

Oy vay....Straw man argument.
Hey newsflash....No one is calling for the destruction of the USPS. The idea is to make it more efficient. To have it operate within budget, at least break even and do its job.

Are you dumb? People in this very thread have called for the complete dismantlement of the USPS.

The OP himself has that view. God... learn to fucking read.
Well then we have a wide range of opinions. And if you would please go ahead and post those quotes. I sure as hell am not going to read every post in a thread. And please do not tell me you do.
Let me save you some time here. Let us stipulate that most people just want the USPS to work better and within budget.
I have no idea why you libs are so hung up on the Postal Service.
What is the REAL deal...?

The post office is in the constitution...we don't want judges to try to interpret what the founders meant do we?

Clean up the mess, or stick a fork in it , its done, mulit billion dollar pit of failure .

The 'mess' is a wound inflicted by people who hate the post office.

No other industry has to pay in as much into their pension fund as the post office.

If that weren't the case..the Post Office would be profitable.

It's almost as if UPS and FEDEX are writing the laws in this matter.

No other industry has to pay in as much into their pension fund as the post office.

Yeah, weird huh?....especially considering its happening on Obama's watch....

Or is it Ried's watch?

Basically..no.

The USPS runs just fine.

Congress needs to change pension payments and allow the USPS to raise the price of stamps.

Yeah, weird huh?....especially considering its happening on Obama's watch....

Or is it Ried's watch?

It wasn't Obama's watch..and it happened while Republicans were in control.

That ocean of red ink followed a controversial decision by Congress in 2006 to require the Postal Service to, within a decade, fund its pension obligations for the next 75 years, at the cost of $5.5 billion a year. No other government agency is subject to that requirement, and analysts say the Postal Service’s pension fund is drastically overfunded.

We think the pension requirement should be revisited to give the Postal Service some relief, either in the number of years that need to be prefunded or in the time frame of the payments, although too many pension plans have imploded for us to advocate a return to “pay as you go” funding.
OUR VIEW: Postal Service struggles | GadsdenTimes.com

Basically..no.

The USPS runs just fine.

Congress needs to change pension payments and allow the USPS to raise the price of stamps.

RAISE PRICES!!!

:lol:

Yeah, that will certainly increase demand for USPS.

A disturbing development for union civil servants and public sector welfare workers to be sure......but practically no one else.......

A disturbing development for union civil servants and public sector welfare workers to be sure......but practically no one else.......

Obviously you did not read my post about how disappointing it will be for me not to receive my Constitutionally Protected Victoria's Secret Catalog more than once a month.

:(

Basically..no.

The USPS runs just fine.

RAISE PRICES!!!

It's not really a "demand" problem at all.

It's cost of operations.

The post office would be swimming in cash if it were run like a real business and not under congressional mandate.

Basically..no.

The USPS runs just fine.

RAISE PRICES!!!

It's cost of operations.

The post office would be swimming in cash if it were run like a real business and not under congressional mandate.

You mean it would be just like FedEx.....

:clap2:

Bravo. It seems you've had an epiphany.

Ridiculous.

If the post office were shut down..FEDEX, UPS and every other carrier would jack up their prices. Both services are much more expensive than the post office at this point. Without a public option, the cost to every business that depends on shipping would be enormous.

Ridiculous.

If the post office were shut down..FEDEX, UPS and every other carrier would jack up their prices. Both services are much more expensive than the post office at this point. Without a public option, the cost to every business that depends on shipping would be enormous.

Your conjecture and hypothesis reflect the same incredibly shallow economic sense that would have the USPS increase prices to become more competitive.

Market competition would control every other carrier's prices instead of the false economy created through the remarkably unsuccessful monoply the USPS represents.

While services may become more expensive, they would not exceed demand, but would rationalize it.

In other words, mass marketers would need to either increse their budgets for first class marketing campaigns, or cut the number of Victoria Secert Catalogs they send.

Basically..no.

The USPS runs just fine.

RAISE PRICES!!!

It's cost of operations.

Postal Workers have been saying this for quite a while....

Ridiculous.

Your conjecture and hypothesis reflect the same incredibly shallow economic sense that would have the USPS increase prices to become more competitive.

Market competition would control every other carrier's prices instead of the false economy created through the remarkably unsuccessful monoply the USPS represents.

While services may become more expensive, they would not exceed demand, but would rationalize it.

In other words, mass marketers would need to either increse their budgets for first class marketing campaigns, or cut the number of Victoria Secert Catalogs they send.

Sam you keep mentioning the catalogs.....i remember about 5 years ago we were getting mailings from most of the companies that used to just send out catalogs saying unless you have bought something from them or request a catalog......you will no longer be getting any.....including Victoria's....i know on my route over the last few years the mailings were turning to just certain individuals instead of a whole bunch of addresses....

Forum List

Back