Poverty in the Ozarks

One has to realize there are a number of sub-cultures in America that don't exactly please those upper middle-class types who live in the big cities.

I know it's only television, but watch the show Justified some time and you will see the gritty underbelly of the USA.

And, many people who life in the Appalachians, Ozarks, Tennessee hills, and similar places feel it's their heritage handed down by their forefathers.

Those who wish to get out generally do so. Nothing is holding them back.

Of course there is poverty outside the inner cities? Who has made such a ridiculous claim otherwise?

I find it difficult to believe that there is absolutely nothing they can do to pull themselves out of poverty though. You can hunt and grow food. Is there lumber in the Ozarks? They could build things if there are. Everywhere has some resources. You just have to be willing to think and work hard.

Not saying it's impossible, but the poor truly are at a very big disadvantage. To believe they can just easily work their way out of it is a bit like believing those people living in the 12 districts in "The Hunger Games" can do as well as those in the Capital.

Oh please. We aren't in The Hunger Games.

Worry about your own, and leave the rest of us alone.

Of course there is poverty outside the inner cities? Who has made such a ridiculous claim otherwise?

I find it difficult to believe that there is absolutely nothing they can do to pull themselves out of poverty though. You can hunt and grow food. Is there lumber in the Ozarks? They could build things if there are. Everywhere has some resources. You just have to be willing to think and work hard.

Not saying it's impossible, but the poor truly are at a very big disadvantage. To believe they can just easily work their way out of it is a bit like believing those people living in the 12 districts in "The Hunger Games" can do as well as those in the Capital.

The 12 districts could have easily done well if the Capital wasnt oppressing them.

It ain't so bad in the Ozarks that we still live in shotgun shacks elevated from the ground to keep varmits out. Why all you rich city folk do is complain..that's why someone had to do a study to find out what's going on since we don't raise much of a fuss here..

our women have equal rights

457741551_tp.jpg

plenty to eat(during certain times of the year)

thrillbilly_calendar_print.jpg

people here practice natural, wholesome, traditional marriage...

pcmoOzarks-HillbillyWeddin-p1985.jpg

and we enjoy farm products straight off the hoof..

card00369_fr.jpg

sports

th

swimming pools..

collegehumor.b03dfb05b240df3a6a3ea043f25d8e1a.jpg

religion..

reintardation-hillbilly-drinking-reincarnation-demotivational-poster-1264290069.jpg

We got it good here in the Ozarks...
Not to mention the natural extra added bonus you guys get once your women folk lose their teeth.

Republicans aren't racist when it comes to poor people. They hate all poor people equally. Even poor Republicans hate poor people. Go figure.

God you're stupid if you believe this.

Well, I certainly don't see a lot of caring for the poor. And I do see a lot of animosity. The poor people in the Ozarks are objects of ridicule and scorn, as far as the conservatives in this thread are concerned, most of those who have posted anyway. There is no empathy or sympathy. Or they are seen as vicitims of the federal government.

One has to realize there are a number of sub-cultures in America that don't exactly please those upper middle-class types who live in the big cities.

I know it's only television, but watch the show Justified some time and you will see the gritty underbelly of the USA.

And, many people who life in the Appalachians, Ozarks, Tennessee hills, and similar places feel it's their heritage handed down by their forefathers.

Justified is my favorite show. Very well written and acted!
It's a good point, often it is a lifestyle choice, at least to stay.

Well, I certainly don't see a lot of caring for the poor. And I do see a lot of animosity. The poor people in the Ozarks are objects of ridicule and scorn, as far as the conservatives in this thread are concerned, most of those who have posted anyway. There is no empathy or sympathy. Or they are seen as vicitims of the federal government.
That's what you got out of this?

No way to live | Springfield News-Leader | news-leader.com

Two out of every five Greene County families with children under age 18 live in poverty, according to U.S. Census Bureau estimates. It jumps to nearly half when the family has a child under age 5.

Poverty in America is not something that only affects inner city minorities.

First and foremost I think you for the thread. This is a reply more to the negative replies to your OP than to you but to you also. One has to wonder who has a greater lack of education. The people you refer to or your detractors? To not understand the human condition is to not know others, not know the majority, not to understand practically all of human history. What do they think? That people do not suffer? That only some people suffer, those they can relate to, which is a very limited demographic apparently. What kind of education can one have that at some point along the way open ones mind to the life of more than oneself?

A is nowhere near I. Other than that just huh?

Do you really live your life and form your perception of reality through television?

The idea that people perfer to live in abject poverity and they are happy doing so is the height of patronization. Again, as I posted earlier, it is what people thought about slaves during the era of American slavery, it is what people like to tell themselves about poor people: that they are poor because they want to be, that they are happy that way--when you tell yourself that, you can just ignore the problem.

The idea that people perfer to live in abject poverity and they are happy doing so is the height of patronization.
No, you're missing the point. Sometimes people make lifestyle choices that make or keep them poor. Not that they enjoy it, they don't want to do what it takes otherwise, 9-5 job all week, taxes or more taxes, more overhead, hygene, grooming, etc.

Republicans aren't racist when it comes to poor people. They hate all poor people equally. Even poor Republicans hate poor people. Go figure.

Funny that most of the ridicule and scorn we see toward those living in the hillbilly style comes from..........

The liberal urbanites

But, we have to send a few billion to the Ukraine. Or Iran. Or syria. Or whevever. The ozarks doesn't have oil.

I saw a documentary on poverty in the Ozarks many years ago. People don't think there is real poverty in America, but there is, and not only in the inner city.

Greene County is dominated by Springfield...a city.

It is the richest county in Southwest Missouri, with the possible exception of Taney County (Branson).

Funny that most of the ridicule and scorn we see toward those living in the hillbilly style comes from..........

The liberal urbanites

You've got to be kidding. On this thread it is coming from the right wingers, not from the liberals. It is certainly not coming from the left. Wow. Why are you denying what is right in front of your face. What a screwball bunch of right wing posters this thread has brought out.

The liberal urbanites

You've got to be kidding. On this thread it is coming from the right wingers, not from the liberals. It is certainly not coming from the left. Wow. Why are you denying what is right in front of your face. What a screwball bunch of right wing posters this thread has brought out.

Uh,... no.. not kidding...

When it comes down to it.. it is the left wingers in here making fun of 'rednecks' or 'hillbillies' on a regular basis... pure unadulterated vitriol.. we see it time and time and time again.... insults, calling rednecks stupid and inferior, meme's aimed directly at those rural folk they hate with a passion...

Sorry, you are just not looking at reality

She doesnt' see it because she's one that participates in it.

The premise of this thread is condescending and elitist. "Oh the poor hicks, we have to help them! We will have to #1...TEACH them that they're miserable, because they're too stupid to know it..and #2....HELP them with lots of federal *assistance* programs!"

No way to live | Springfield News-Leader | news-leader.com

Two out of every five Greene County families with children under age 18 live in poverty, according to U.S. Census Bureau estimates. It jumps to nearly half when the family has a child under age 5.

Poverty in America is not something that only affects inner city minorities.

who said it did?

given her failure to answer....i can only assume she made this up and the entire thread is nothing but straw

They're going to be helped if they like it or not.

First on the agenda....abortion clinics!

Branson and the Ozarks are beautiful from what I have seen. Was going to move there once but it fell through.

Forum List

Back