Poverty in the Ozarks

It's OK. Republicans aren't racist when it comes to poor people. They hate all poor people equally. Even poor Republicans hate poor people. Go figure.

as opposed to dems who hate blacks???

I'm sure some Democrats hate blacks. We know some blacks hate gays. Yet, there they are. Working together as a "coalition". Something Republicans, being 90% white, simply don't understand.

It's OK. Republicans aren't racist when it comes to poor people. They hate all poor people equally. Even poor Republicans hate poor people. Go figure.

as opposed to dems who hate blacks???

I'm sure some Democrats hate blacks. We know some blacks hate gays. Yet, there they are. Working together as a "coalition". Something Republicans, being 90% white, simply don't understand.

Racism in all its glory.

You are, of course, aware that Ozarks and Appalachians are not interchangeable, that they are two distinct mountain ranges....right?

You are, of course, aware that the Ozarks are not a mountain range, they are not mountains, they are not even hills. But you knew that, right?

You are, of course, aware that Ozarks and Appalachians are not interchangeable, that they are two distinct mountain ranges....right?

You are, of course, aware that the Ozarks are not a mountain range, they are not mountains, they are not even hills. But you knew that, right?

Spoken like someone who hasn't the least idea what they are talking about.

But you knew that, right?

I'd like to see them chug up and down these 30-50 foot ravines in the foothills of the Ozarks where I live..

I'd like to see them chug up and down these 30-50 foot ravines in the foothills of the Ozarks where I live..

It is a technicality I admit but since koshergrl was so sure of herself I figured a little fun was in order.
Ozark Plateaus
The Ozark Plateaus Region is a thoroughly dissected area with steep valley walls and narrow floors. This region is divided into three broad plateau surfaces based on elevation and age of surface rocks. Click here to learn about the geology of the Ozark Plateaus Region.

Republicans aren't racist when it comes to poor people. They hate all poor people equally. Even poor Republicans hate poor people. Go figure.

God you're stupid if you believe this.

Well, I certainly don't see a lot of caring for the poor. And I do see a lot of animosity. The poor people in the Ozarks are objects of ridicule and scorn, as far as the conservatives in this thread are concerned, most of those who have posted anyway. There is no empathy or sympathy. Or they are seen as vicitims of the federal government.

Bingo.

Just watch any of the redneck/hillbilly "reality shows".

Of course there is poverty outside the inner cities? Who has made such a ridiculous claim otherwise?

I find it difficult to believe that there is absolutely nothing they can do to pull themselves out of poverty though. You can hunt and grow food. Is there lumber in the Ozarks? They could build things if there are. Everywhere has some resources. You just have to be willing to think and work hard.

Gotta love that good old CLUELESS christian caring and empathy.

Those of us who have actually been desperately poor know the difference between "help" and "control".

Same here but that's not a mountain. It may feel like a mountain but its not.

There was a member a while back who was actually wealthy, like honestly wealthy. She made a comment that the rich were not waited on hand and foot, that they had to wait in line just like everyone else. That comment went round and round in my head for some time. What it came out as is, yes, the rich wait in line too but what they wait for is different. A teenage girl might be waiting, hoping and hoping that she would get tickets to the show. Another teen might be waiting hoping to get some food stamps. The first teen might be very dejected if the show was sold out before she got her ticket whereas the other teen might simply turn away and figure it was just not to be that day. So the question is are the people beside the road in the Ozarks as happy as anyone else? Sometimes yes, but sometimes no.

Same here but that's not a mountain. It may feel like a mountain but its not.

it's an old mountain chain which means the hills have been rounded and are small, not like the Rockies which are younger and have a sharp top....The Arbuckles in southern Okiehoma are the oldest mountain chain in the US...

Even the hillbillies make fun of themselves....

Hillbillies might make fun of themselves but it is kind of like black people calling each other ******. They may be messing around and calling each other ****** but some white person walk up and call one of them ****** and things get real serious, real fast.

Plateaus, they are plateaus. That is why they have flat tops, at least the ones not fully eroded away that is.

Hillbillies might make fun of themselves but it is kind of like black people calling each other ******. They may be messing around and calling each other ****** but some white person walk up and call one of them ****** and things get real serious, real fast.

What the US thinks of hillbillies really don't exist. Now some of my family that lived in NE Okiehoma did live in shotgun shacks with only a light bulb hangin' from the ceiling. This was the 1960's. The area was still poor from the depression era..but chicken plants opened and Wal-Mart came around and people got jobs and could afford trailer houses. The kids my age, our generation did much better, why we can afford double wide trailers....

Plateaus, they are plateaus. That is why they have flat tops, at least the ones not fully eroded away that is.

if you go north to the Joplin area and north Springfield it is a plateau, but the more south you get the deeper the hills get, until you reach Arkansas and the Boston Mountains appear...south of Branson....You also have the Mark Twain Natl. Forest in the area also...

What the US thinks of hillbillies really don't exist. Now some of my family that lived in NE Okiehoma did live in shotgun shacks with only a light bulb hangin' from the ceiling. This was the 1960's. The area was still poor from the depression era..but chicken plants opened and Wal-Mart came around and people got jobs and could afford trailer houses. The kids my age, our generation did much better, why we can afford double wide trailers....

I guess it is all what one wants to classify as a hillibilly. What most city folk would call hillbilly people in the backwoods would call white trash. This is different than trailer park trash. There is also the good ole pickup truck redneck, the person who just lives in the backwoods but knows about the outside world, those that live in the backwoods and really does not know about the outside world, then there is the holy-rollers and the hippies time has forgot, and the poor simple folk. Some back there have mansions in the middle of nowhere but they don't mix with the locals and the locals don't mix with them. There are variations of all of the above. And those chicken plants stink to high Heaven.

if you go north to the Joplin area and north Springfield it is a plateau, but the more south you get the deeper the hills get, until you reach Arkansas and the Boston Mountains appear...south of Branson....You also have the Mark Twain Natl. Forest in the area also...

In Leslie, AR I was on top of a plateau. (That might ring a bell with a certain someone.)

Forum List

Back