Poverty: The Way Out

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
1. In her book, "Uncle Sam's Plantation," Star Parker recounts her journey from life as a hustler and welfare addict to freedom. The following gives a view of her path to success.

2. My first post-welfare job was hardly a dream job. Assigned to a sterile basement room in a huge office building, I had to hand-write the orders called in by salesmen, and send it to the shipping department. Since, the more orders they called in, the more money they made, the salesman talked fast and were rushed. The shippers, union laborers, on the other hand, received the same wage no matter how much work they did, so they talked slowly and made no effort to be efficient.

a. I acted as if it was my own customer, and the order that I was receiving was worth a million dollars to my business. My view was that hard work would open up opportunities to leave welfare behind, and poverty forever.

3. The only other black in the depaertment was a 32-year-old female who had been there 15 years. On my first day at work she was eager to give me the scoop, including how to get away with the least amount of work for the maximum financial benefit- by paying $260 to join the labor union. Every day she would say I was "uppity" because I worked fast and actually enjoyed it! The more I fulfilled my tasks with vigor, the more dislike I engendered from the union workers.

a. I didn't now about unions, but as an ex-street hustler and con artist, it sounded a lot like paying for protection. Actually, I had no plans to remain for long, and intended to start my own business as soon as I finished writhing a business plan.

4. One particularly busy day, calls were coming in furiously! But I responded by making each feel that they were the most important call I had received that day. My supervisor asked me "Have you ever considered sales and marketing?" He went on to tell me about a full-time position in the marketing department that paid much more than my current wage. And, provided benefits without having to join a union!

a. I declined, as I had my sights set on finishing college, and owning my own business. When the union went on strike, I saw it as the right time to try my hand as an entrepreneur.

5. I began publishing a monthly magazine with a calendar of events from churches around Los Angeles. I added editorials that addressed inner city needs. The spotlight was on wholesome entertainment for single Christians. What began as 16 black-and-white pages, eventually became 64 full color pages of professional layout and some 80 advertisements 8 years later. Exciting, yes, but it was hard work to sell enough ads to cover costs, my personal overhead, and the needs of my daughter.

a. A major pitfall occurred the first time I received the ubiquitous "congratulations, you have qualified" letter from a credit card company. Wow...a symbol of accomplishment and prestige! Before long I had 10 credit cards. Six years after starting my business, I went into bankruptcy. A year later, California went into severe recession. Two years later, the L.A. riots wiped out what was left, as many of my advertisers were burned to the ground. In the middle of all that...I was divorced.

6. But my determination never wavered. I refused to go back on welfare or listen to the leftist lies that sought to discourage me from even trying! I used my talkng/selling experience to cohosting a talk show on a small Christian radio station in Long Beach. It didn't quite pay minimum wage, and had no benefits....so I made money based on commissions from advertisers of the show. So, no guarantees.....but hard work and a positive attitude paid off: soon, I was offered the opportunity to host my own three-hour daily radio talk show with and ABC affiliate in San Francisco. Not only a good salary, but they put a studio in my home!

"....hard work and a positive attitude paid off..."

a. "I refused to go back on welfare or listen to the leftist lies that sought to discourage me from even trying!"

Very different from this:
"Joe Biden: “No Chance” Jill And Michelle Would Have Succeeded In Life Without Government Help…“I know, literally, Barack and I talk about it. Neither one of us would have had any shot,” Biden said. “The same with our wives. Both wives are smarter than both of us. Literally, these very accomplished women would not have any chance without some help.”
Joe Biden: ?No Chance? Jill And Michelle Would Have Succeeded In Life Without Government Help? | Weasel Zippers

7. Nothing new here.....the same works and worked for everyone.

"John Calvin’s and Martin Luther’s emphasis on individual responsibility, hard work, thrift, providence, honesty, and deferred gratification at its center—shaped the spirit of capitalism and helped it succeed…religions chiefly of the middle and working classes, and the virtues they promoted led to a new kind of affluence and upward mobility, based not on land (which was largely owned by the aristocracy) but on productive enterprises. The bourgeois values had helped to sustain Weber’s “rational tempering” of the impulse to accumulate wealth: they helped put the rationality in “rational self-interest,” or, as Tocqueville put it, “self-interest rightly understood.”
Whatever Happened to the Work Ethic? by Steven Malanga, City Journal Summer 2009

We have a President and a political milieu designed to keep those who are poor, poor.....and to make it so easy to join those living on government largesse that one wonders if it pays to fight it.....

....it does.

there is light at the end of the tunnel if people bother to look for it. unfortunately, welfare makes most people lazy. they accept it as a way of life

1. In her book, "Uncle Sam's Plantation," Star Parker recounts her journey from life as a hustler and welfare addict to freedom. The following gives a view of her path to success.

2. My first post-welfare job was hardly a dream job. Assigned to a sterile basement room in a huge office building, I had to hand-write the orders called in by salesmen, and send it to the shipping department. Since, the more orders they called in, the more money they made, the salesman talked fast and were rushed. The shippers, union laborers, on the other hand, received the same wage no matter how much work they did, so they talked slowly and made no effort to be efficient.

a. I acted as if it was my own customer, and the order that I was receiving was worth a million dollars to my business. My view was that hard work would open up opportunities to leave welfare behind, and poverty forever.

3. The only other black in the depaertment was a 32-year-old female who had been there 15 years. On my first day at work she was eager to give me the scoop, including how to get away with the least amount of work for the maximum financial benefit- by paying $260 to join the labor union. Every day she would say I was "uppity" because I worked fast and actually enjoyed it! The more I fulfilled my tasks with vigor, the more dislike I engendered from the union workers.

a. I didn't now about unions, but as an ex-street hustler and con artist, it sounded a lot like paying for protection. Actually, I had no plans to remain for long, and intended to start my own business as soon as I finished writhing a business plan.

4. One particularly busy day, calls were coming in furiously! But I responded by making each feel that they were the most important call I had received that day. My supervisor asked me "Have you ever considered sales and marketing?" He went on to tell me about a full-time position in the marketing department that paid much more than my current wage. And, provided benefits without having to join a union!

a. I declined, as I had my sights set on finishing college, and owning my own business. When the union went on strike, I saw it as the right time to try my hand as an entrepreneur.

5. I began publishing a monthly magazine with a calendar of events from churches around Los Angeles. I added editorials that addressed inner city needs. The spotlight was on wholesome entertainment for single Christians. What began as 16 black-and-white pages, eventually became 64 full color pages of professional layout and some 80 advertisements 8 years later. Exciting, yes, but it was hard work to sell enough ads to cover costs, my personal overhead, and the needs of my daughter.

a. A major pitfall occurred the first time I received the ubiquitous "congratulations, you have qualified" letter from a credit card company. Wow...a symbol of accomplishment and prestige! Before long I had 10 credit cards. Six years after starting my business, I went into bankruptcy. A year later, California went into severe recession. Two years later, the L.A. riots wiped out what was left, as many of my advertisers were burned to the ground. In the middle of all that...I was divorced.

6. But my determination never wavered. I refused to go back on welfare or listen to the leftist lies that sought to discourage me from even trying! I used my talkng/selling experience to cohosting a talk show on a small Christian radio station in Long Beach. It didn't quite pay minimum wage, and had no benefits....so I made money based on commissions from advertisers of the show. So, no guarantees.....but hard work and a positive attitude paid off: soon, I was offered the opportunity to host my own three-hour daily radio talk show with and ABC affiliate in San Francisco. Not only a good salary, but they put a studio in my home!

a. "I refused to go back on welfare or listen to the leftist lies that sought to discourage me from even trying!"

"Joe Biden: “No Chance” Jill And Michelle Would Have Succeeded In Life Without Government Help…“I know, literally, Barack and I talk about it. Neither one of us would have had any shot,” Biden said. “The same with our wives. Both wives are smarter than both of us. Literally, these very accomplished women would not have any chance without some help.”
Joe Biden: ?No Chance? Jill And Michelle Would Have Succeeded In Life Without Government Help? | Weasel Zippers

"John Calvin’s and Martin Luther’s emphasis on individual responsibility, hard work, thrift, providence, honesty, and deferred gratification at its center—shaped the spirit of capitalism and helped it succeed…religions chiefly of the middle and working classes, and the virtues they promoted led to a new kind of affluence and upward mobility, based not on land (which was largely owned by the aristocracy) but on productive enterprises. The bourgeois values had helped to sustain Weber’s “rational tempering” of the impulse to accumulate wealth: they helped put the rationality in “rational self-interest,” or, as Tocqueville put it, “self-interest rightly understood.”
Whatever Happened to the Work Ethic? by Steven Malanga, City Journal Summer 2009

We have a President and a political milieu designed to keep those who are poor, poor.....and to make it so easy to join those living on government largesse that one wonders if it pays to fight it.....

....it does.

liberals would have us believe they are for help and conservatives are cold hearted meanies!! In fact, we're all for help when it helps, but not when it cripples! When Clinton and Newt reformed by turning it into workfare fully half were cut from the roles because they didn't want to work and didn't need to!!.

....it does.

liberals would have us believe they are for help and conservatives are cold hearted meanies!! In fact, we're all for help when it helps, but not when it cripples! When Clinton and Newt reformed by turning it into workfare fully half were cut from the roles because they didn't want to work and didn't need to!!.

And here is the mistake-in-the-White House allowing the work requirement to be avoided....
Exactly the wrong prescription.

Obama won't be giving Star Parker the award she deserves:

"The Presidential Medal of Freedom is an award bestowed by the President of the United States and is—along with the comparable Congressional Gold Medal bestowed by an act of U.S. Congress—the highest civilian award in the United States. It recognizes those individuals who have made "an especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States, world peace, cultural or other significant public or private endeavors"
Presidential Medal of Freedom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Liberals would have us believe they are warm, fuzzy, caring, and helping people while conservatives are cold hearted, uncaring devils. In fact, we're all for helping when it helps, but not when it cripples!

When Clinton and Newt reformed "welfare as we know it" by turning it into workfare, fully half cut themselves, in effect, from the welfare roles when they didn't show up to work; apparently because they really didn't need to work.

Interestingly, Fareed Zakaria answered the question about the way out of poverty on his Sunday show GPS by presenting the research that showed how capitalism in China had lifted half the world's poor out of poverty in the last 20 years.

If only the liberals had the IQ to understand or to appreciate how many millions continue to starve to death because of their idiotic and deadly liberalism.

They lack the IQ to understand or to feel guilty.

Why are you so obsessed with impoverished dark-skinned people on welfare?

To whom is this addressed?

I don't recall any referring to " impoverished dark-skinned people on welfare."

Could you identify such a post....or are you the stinking piece of refuse you appear to be?

Speak up.

Why are you so obsessed with impoverished dark-skinned people on welfare?

To whom is this addressed?

I don't recall any referring to " impoverished dark-skinned people on welfare."

Could you identify such a post....or are you the stinking piece of refuse you appear to be?

Speak up.

Wow, you need to cut back on the meth.

How very clever.

So....in actuality there was no reference to " impoverished dark-skinned people on welfare."

It was merely your attempt to marginalize opposing voices.

And, you are therefore self-identified as a stinking piece of refuse.

So be it.

(1) As a child of utter poverty, how is it that Star Parker lived in Japan for 3 years prior to moving to St. Louis when she was 12 years old? Who paid the moving expenses?

(2) She attended college at Woodbury University in Burbank, California. That wasn't cheap, given out-of-state tuition rates and (again) moving expenses and housing. How did that happen for a poor, impoverished child raised without parental guidance and no "hand outs?"

(3) She founded CURE in 1995. Impressive, for a single mother "struggling just to make ends meet." It's amazing she had that much time to devote to political activism.

(4) Thank the Lord that the government afforded her protections under bankruptcy law!

(5) She uses her "past experiences as a welfare recipient" to support her anti-welfare arguments. That's funny!

(6) And now, she's a talk radio host. That's funny! The only thing missing is the part about how she washed dishes in a restaurant when she was 10, or delivering newspapers. Most talk radio hosts believe that lends them credibility.

Ms Parker "I bought into the lie that there was nothing in America for me except..."

Straw man? Where is this lie she refers to and what is it all about? Is about herself? Is it about her family? where did she make this shit up, in her own mind?

Hard work and self discipline is the way out of poverty. Everyone who has achieved even modest success knows that. But what some have overlooked is the availability of jobs in impoverished areas. Small rural towns, small towns in the Rust Belt and Appalachia or in the deep south hold little or no opportunity for middle class jobs, let alone entry level jobs.

Whenever a Conservative proffers the answer to poverty as "get a job", I'd challenge them to think about the chances of getting that job in some of the forgotten areas of this country.

Of course, that same smug Conservative would say "just move to where the jobs are then!" Try selling a house in an already depressed market. Who will buy it at a fair price if there's nothing in that town to begin with? Try moving a family, uprooting children from schools, churches and friends to take a stab at the unknown someplace else. There are a lot of factors overlooked in the "just move to where the jobs are" meme.

Hard work and self discipline is the way out of poverty. Everyone who has achieved even modest success knows that. But what some have overlooked is the availability of jobs in impoverished areas. Small rural towns, small towns in the Rust Belt and Appalachia or in the deep south hold little or no opportunity for middle class jobs, let alone entry level jobs.

Whenever a Conservative proffers the answer to poverty as "get a job", I'd challenge them to think about the chances of getting that job in some of the forgotten areas of this country.

Of course, that same smug Conservative would say "just move to where the jobs are then!" Try selling a house in an already depressed market. Who will buy it at a fair price if there's nothing in that town to begin with? Try moving a family, uprooting children from schools, churches and friends to take a stab at the unknown someplace else. There are a lot of factors overlooked in the "just move to where the jobs are" meme.

You have more excuses than the Kennedys have cousins.

Have you seen this?

1. For a real-world perspective on the American ethic, find the Alan Shepard book, “Scratch Beginnings, in which the author recounts his own social experiment, at age 24, starting out at the lowest rung of the economic ladder. The question: could he conquer poverty in one year at his best efforts?

2. He left his home with nothing but a tarp, sleeping bag, an empty gym bag, the clothes on his back, and $25. The went to Charleston, South Carolina…a city where he had never been before, and where he knew nobody. He didn’t use his college education as a resume, nor any family or other contacts.

3. The first night he finds the Crisis Ministries homeless shelter, and, next morning, begins working odd jobs. Within a few weeks, he gets a regular job with a moving company. He moonlights on weekends to make extra money.

4. He makes friends and contacts, and these help him to find jobs and housing…Within five months, he gets a raise from the moving company to $10/ hour. And another, to $11/hour in less than nine months.

5. Progress was retarded by breaking his foot on the job, yet by three months he was able to move out of the homeless shelter and rent a room in a large house in an upscale part of town. (It was owned by a friend he met while working a second job on weekends.) Then, just a month later, he moved into a two-bedroom duplex with the cousin of one of his co-workers. It was a bit rundown, so the two of them spent a week-end making it like new. (His share was $325 because he took the master bedroom.)

6. After just ten months he was living in his own furnished apartment, with his own car, and he had $5,300 in savings.

a. The book also tells of other low-income people he met, and how they, also, would like a safety net second to their own work,

"Scratch Beginnings: Me, $25, and the Search for the American Dream" [Paperback]
Adam W. Shepard (Author)

(1) As a child of utter poverty, how is it that Star Parker lived in Japan for 3 years prior to moving to St. Louis when she was 12 years old? Who paid the moving expenses?

(2) She attended college at Woodbury University in Burbank, California. That wasn't cheap, given out-of-state tuition rates and (again) moving expenses and housing. How did that happen for a poor, impoverished child raised without parental guidance and no "hand outs?"

(3) She founded CURE in 1995. Impressive, for a single mother "struggling just to make ends meet." It's amazing she had that much time to devote to political activism.

(4) Thank the Lord that the government afforded her protections under bankruptcy law!

(5) She uses her "past experiences as a welfare recipient" to support her anti-welfare arguments. That's funny!

(6) And now, she's a talk radio host. That's funny! The only thing missing is the part about how she washed dishes in a restaurant when she was 10, or delivering newspapers. Most talk radio hosts believe that lends them credibility.

Well....let me answer your questions.

Answers appear in the following.
http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/289831-a-certain-kind-of-poor-folk.html
http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/290455-the-lazy-poor.html

...and, as for Japan? Her father was in the Air Force.

Now, perhaps you'll respond to a question from me:

What is the basis of your slander, i.e., " impoverished dark-skinned people on welfare,"

and, how, exactly, did you become the stinking piece of refuse you appear to be?

You have more excuses than the Kennedys have cousins.

Have you seen this?

1. For a real-world perspective on the American ethic, find the Alan Shepard book, “Scratch Beginnings, in which the author recounts his own social experiment, at age 24, starting out at the lowest rung of the economic ladder. The question: could he conquer poverty in one year at his best efforts?

2. He left his home with nothing but a tarp, sleeping bag, an empty gym bag, the clothes on his back, and $25. The went to Charleston, South Carolina…a city where he had never been before, and where he knew nobody. He didn’t use his college education as a resume, nor any family or other contacts.

3. The first night he finds the Crisis Ministries homeless shelter, and, next morning, begins working odd jobs. Within a few weeks, he gets a regular job with a moving company. He moonlights on weekends to make extra money.

4. He makes friends and contacts, and these help him to find jobs and housing…Within five months, he gets a raise from the moving company to $10/ hour. And another, to $11/hour in less than nine months.

5. Progress was retarded by breaking his foot on the job, yet by three months he was able to move out of the homeless shelter and rent a room in a large house in an upscale part of town. (It was owned by a friend he met while working a second job on weekends.) Then, just a month later, he moved into a two-bedroom duplex with the cousin of one of his co-workers. It was a bit rundown, so the two of them spent a week-end making it like new. (His share was $325 because he took the master bedroom.)

6. After just ten months he was living in his own furnished apartment, with his own car, and he had $5,300 in savings.

a. The book also tells of other low-income people he met, and how they, also, would like a safety net second to their own work,

"Scratch Beginnings: Me, $25, and the Search for the American Dream" [Paperback]
Adam W. Shepard (Author)

Isn't it GREAT that "Alan Shepard" was the recipient of all those handouts, though? Because if he wasn't given free room and board at the shelter, there's no way he could have saved all that money! Also, I hope he spent the $5,300 he saved by NOT PAYING FOR HIS ROOM AND BOARD on a nice shiny piece of electronic equipment!

That story was truly inspiring. It sounded like utter bullshit, but it was nonetheless inspiring.

Well....let me answer your questions.

Answers appear in the following.
http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/289831-a-certain-kind-of-poor-folk.html
http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/290455-the-lazy-poor.html

...and, as for Japan? Her father was in the Air Force.

Now, perhaps you'll respond to a question from me:

What is the basis of your slander, i.e., " impoverished dark-skinned people on welfare,"

and, how, exactly, did you become the stinking piece of refuse you appear to be?

All right, let's get this out of the way first. You've referred to me a few times as a "stinking piece of refuse." You fucking Nazi pig! Is that all you've got, rag? Are you yearning for the "ultimate solution" in your ravaged dreams?

Okay, to answer your question--you continually attack ethnicities and impoverished souls. You, like any good right winger, attack the weakest. It seems wrong, but I have noticed the dwelling place of your soul. It ain't good.

Forum List

Back