Powers of pardon need to be restricted.

perhaps I just missed it. Was there a summit meeting Legend attended on the subject where he took time to pose for a photo op in the Oval Office?

He wrote a letter about Prison reform and there is mention of a White House visit, but can't find pictures searching that give a date.

Evidently it wasn't newsworthy.

Okay. As you said, celebrity is credibility. It was so in both admins and will be in the next one. Good discussion.

No, what I am talking about is people making fun of one celebrity getting presidential access now when they were OK with other celebrities getting it before.

perhaps I just missed it. Was there a summit meeting Legend attended on the subject where he took time to pose for a photo op in the Oval Office?

He wrote a letter about Prison reform and there is mention of a White House visit, but can't find pictures searching that give a date.

Evidently it wasn't newsworthy.

Okay. As you said, celebrity is credibility. It was so in both admins and will be in the next one. Good discussion.

No, what I am talking about is people making fun of one celebrity getting presidential access now when they were OK with other celebrities getting it before.

ok

The executive check on the judiciary already exist in the Presidential power to nominated judges.

but after they are on the bench??
fyi-
the Congress has the 'after appointment check', with the power of impeachment over the judge, if necessary.

Again that impacts the judges themselves, not the judgments they put in place. Pardon is an override of both the legislature and the judicial in the case of specific offenses and individuals.
but it also can be used for anything and anyone the president wants, right?

He can pardon a person just convicted of mass murder, even without following the protocol of the Justice dept for wait times and remorse, he can pardon his son, his son in law, manafort, flynn, the Russians indicted, and himself all in one breath, right? All within his power, right?

Not sure if he can pardon people before being convicted, but once convicted he can pardon anyone he wants who was convicted of a Federal Crime (I was corrected on the whole State crime thing yesterday, but I am curious to see if this was ever brought up and then decided before the SC).

The check over abuse of pardon power is the ability of the legislature to impeach the President.

Nixon pardoned by Ford..

fyi-
the Congress has the 'after appointment check', with the power of impeachment over the judge, if necessary.

Again that impacts the judges themselves, not the judgments they put in place. Pardon is an override of both the legislature and the judicial in the case of specific offenses and individuals.

He can pardon a person just convicted of mass murder, even without following the protocol of the Justice dept for wait times and remorse, he can pardon his son, his son in law, manafort, flynn, the Russians indicted, and himself all in one breath, right? All within his power, right?

Not sure if he can pardon people before being convicted, but once convicted he can pardon anyone he wants who was convicted of a Federal Crime (I was corrected on the whole State crime thing yesterday, but I am curious to see if this was ever brought up and then decided before the SC).

The check over abuse of pardon power is the ability of the legislature to impeach the President.

Nixon pardoned by Ford..

That was brought up just before, and to me that is wrong.

however it was never challenged so right now a President could do it.

She has a cause, she is petitioning the President. Plenty of Celebrities did that when Obama was President. Why now all of a sudden is it such a big deal?

Sly Stallone got Jack Johnson pardoned. If someone uses their celebrity to get something good done, and they don't get all preachy and bitchy about it, I don't have an issue with it.

I think you missed the point but that's okay.

No I didn't.

Yes Kim is a vapid moron (or plays one on TV) but why does that matter?

It is a distraction that the discussion doesn't need. Have the summit but have serious people there.

I don't remember progressives being so anti-celebrity when it was their causes and their President being foisted.

Such as?
Clinton, Obama

It is part of the checks and balances system, giving the executive an override of both the judiciary and the legislature in specific instances.

Before trying to get rid of it, first people should try to see what would happen if it was removed.

It would make the Judiciary supreme over the executive in all situations.

The executive check on the judiciary already exist in the Presidential power to nominated judges.

fyi-

Yes he can.....its always been that way.....most Presidents wait until their term is over because they're scared about blowback......this President does it.....not concerned about the blowback.

As I said before...the Founders never thought a Pussy Grabbing Lying Criminal would be elected as President. He was and now he is abusing his power as no other Commander in Chief before.

To think.. .Rudy suggested trump can pardon himself...That is the definition of an Autocracy...a Dictatorship. Basically....Rudy is saying....trump is above the law.
How is he abusing it, because he pardons people the left doesn't like? That's all this boils down to. Obama pardoned a murdering terrorist. I Clinton pardoned an international criminal.

When he starts pardoning people in the Special Councils investigation....that will be obstruction of justice....plain and simple.

Right now he is sending them a signal.
Well when they start getting convicted of real crimes and not process crimes (funny how lefties used to believe in things like due process, and were against entrapment, now are opposite), then we will care. Show me the money!!!

It is something that is a giant anachronism to our system. I’ve never understood why it is there to start with.

Good post.

It is part of the checks and balances system, giving the executive an override of both the judiciary and the legislature in specific instances.

Before trying to get rid of it, first people should try to see what would happen if it was removed.

It would make the Judiciary supreme over the executive in all situations.
So can Trump pardon anyone who may be tempted to testify against him?

Yes. That is the answer; as distasteful and as repugnant to the judicial system as it is.

It’s been said by laymen and scholars alike….we get the government we deserve. So we have a President who looks to Kim Kardashin (sp?) for input on prison reform, convinced his followers that he can make a foreign government pay for something he wants to build here and…possibly most baffling…was elected to the highest political office in the land without any political experience outside of tweeting about politics.

Would it really surprise anyone if there are platoons of pardons issued? Not me.

So all of a sudden getting input from celebrities is a bad thing?

Wow, things change so much when it's not a Democrat in the Oval office....

No…getting input from Kim Kardashin is a bad thing. Or do you consider her an expert on Prison Reform and why?
Look I don't think Kim is smart at all, but why does she need to be an expert to talk to the President?
She found someone she doesn't think belongs in prison and asked Trump to review it....what is the problem???

Once Senate Seat-gate gets going, The Donald is going to have to pardon Hussaine! :p

this President does it.....not concerned about the blowback.
this president has no problem abusing his power!! And using pardons, solely for his own benefit and purpose, while sitting as president.

he has ZERO respect for his position as a once great Nation's president, and ZERO respect for the constitutional norms of the office....he is the man of lawlessness! google it! :eek:

this President does it.....not concerned about the blowback.
this president has no problem abusing his power!! And using pardons, solely for his own benefit and purpose, while sitting as president.

he has ZERO respect for his position as a once great Nation's president, and ZERO respect for the constitutional norms of the office....he is the man of lawlessness! google it! :eek:

you are a tard, all presidents pardon, most of them are pussies and do it when there is no consequence.....Trump has balls and my respect

what benefit did he for pardoning jack johnson?

Governors & presidents too often get carried away with this crap. Trump seems to be no different.
Going to take a Constitutional amendment- and while I agree in principle- there is not a politician in America today that I would entirely trust with writing a Constitutional amendment.

Forum List

Back