Prediction: Same Sex Marriage Will be the Law of the Land

It will be interesting to hear the convoluted logic that the SCOTUS will use when the interfere with what is clearly a states right. I am sure that once again they will tell us something doesn't mean what it says they will tell us what it means in context, their context.
How is it clearly a states right? Did you read my OP? Do you think that Loving was a bad decision too?

Why do you quote Loving? It was a decision between a man and a woman. And there is no equivalence between a gay and being black.

Where is marriage mentioned in the COTUS?
The fact that it was a man and a woman is irrelevant. The point that Loving, like a number of other cases established that fact that there are limits to states rights in matters of marriage. The Constitution matters. You can agree that Loving was an appropriate decision, but that same sex marriage is strictly a state matter

If the SCOTUS rules as I know they will rule, then there is, in my opinion, no limit on who marries. Sister/brother, son/daughter, mother/son. How can you limit any of those?.

Well you are welcome to your opinion- but there is absolutely no evidence to support that opinion. Gays have been marrying in Massachusetts for over 10 years- and yet still sisters and brothers are not getting legally married. Incestuous marriage is a completely different issue- as different as gay marriage was from mixed race marriage- each has to be argued on its own merits.

What it boils down to is this: marriage is a right- repeatedly confirmed by the Supreme Court. States can deny that right- but only if the State can provide a demonstrable justification for denying the right. So far states have not been able to make an argument as to how denying same gender couples their marriage right serves some legitimate state interest.

It is a right between a man and a woman as has been ruled by the SCOTUS. Maybe incestuous marriages have not happened in Mass. but I don't see how it could be stopped if someone wanted to argue the case. And it will come to that. It will come to that for the same reasons that gay say they want to marry, economics.

It will be interesting to hear the convoluted logic that the SCOTUS will use when the interfere with what is clearly a states right. I am sure that once again they will tell us something doesn't mean what it says they will tell us what it means in context, their context.
How is it clearly a states right? Did you read my OP? Do you think that Loving was a bad decision too?

Why do you quote Loving? It was a decision between a man and a woman. And there is no equivalence between a gay and being black.

The fact that it was a man and a woman is irrelevant. The point that Loving, like a number of other cases established that fact that there are limits to states rights in matters of marriage. The Constitution matters. You can agree that Loving was an appropriate decision, but that same sex marriage is strictly a state matter

If the SCOTUS rules as I know they will rule, then there is, in my opinion, no limit on who marries. Sister/brother, son/daughter, mother/son. How can you limit any of those?.

Well you are welcome to your opinion- but there is absolutely no evidence to support that opinion. Gays have been marrying in Massachusetts for over 10 years- and yet still sisters and brothers are not getting legally married. Incestuous marriage is a completely different issue- as different as gay marriage was from mixed race marriage- each has to be argued on its own merits.

What it boils down to is this: marriage is a right- repeatedly confirmed by the Supreme Court. States can deny that right- but only if the State can provide a demonstrable justification for denying the right. So far states have not been able to make an argument as to how denying same gender couples their marriage right serves some legitimate state interest.

You have to look at it from the opposite end, that in Loving, it was just race that was ruled a no go as a ban from marriage, the definition of marriage was not changed. Here is a radical change, and even Kennedy and Breyer noted it as such.

the equal rights amendment made Loving the correct decision. And no, I don't have to believe anything just because you said so. The issue of Loving was if laws were justified against a person because they are black, which there is no equivalence to being gay. Gay marriage is a whole new ballgame.

The laws before loving didn't prevent black people from getting married.

>>>>

It is a right between a man and a woman as has been ruled by the SCOTUS. .

The Supreme Court has never said that marriage is a right between a man and woman. I know that bursts your bubble but its the facts.

Loving v Virginia

"The freedom to marry has long been recognized as one of the vital personal rights essential to the orderly pursuit of happiness by free men."

"Marriage is one of the 'basic civil rights of man,' fundamental to our very existence and survival."

Zablocki v. Rehail

AlthoughLovingarose in the context of racial discrimination, prior and subsequent decisions of this Court confirm that the right to marry is of fundamental importance for all individuals.

Maynard v. Hill,125 U. S. 190(1888), the Court characterized marriage as "the most important relation in life,"id.at125 U. S. 205, and as "the foundation of the family and of society, without which there would be neither civilization nor progress,"

InMeyer v. Nebraska,262 U. S. 390(1923), the Court recognized that the right "to marry, establish a home and bring up children" is a central part of the liberty protected by the Due Process Clause,

InGriswold v. Connecticut,381 U. S. 479(1965), the Court observed:

"We deal with a right of privacy older than the Bill of Rights -- older than our political parties, older than our school system. Marriage is a coming together for better or for worse, hopefully enduring, and intimate to the degree of being sacred. It is an association that promotes a way of life, not causes; a harmony in living, not political faiths; a bilateral loyalty, not commercial or social projects. Yet it is an association for as noble a purpose as any involved in our prior decisions."

Carey v. Population Services International,431 U. S. 678(1977)

"While the outer limits of [the right of personal privacy] have not been marked by the Court, it is clear that among the decisions that an individual may make without unjustified government interference are personal decisions 'relating to marriage,

Cleveland Board of Education v. LaFleur

"This Court has long recognized that freedom of personal choice in matters of marriage and family life is one of the liberties protected by the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment"

You have to look at it from the opposite end, that in Loving, it was just race that was ruled a no go as a ban from marriage, the definition of marriage was not changed. Here is a radical change, and even Kennedy and Breyer noted it as such.

Loving v Virginia

"The freedom to marry has long been recognized as one of the vital personal rights essential to the orderly pursuit of happiness by free men."

Big freaking deal

our Society is now made up of killing off you own offspring by abortions and watching two men marry each other.

what a thing to proud of

the equal rights amendment made Loving the correct decision. And no, I don't have to believe anything just because you said so. The issue of Loving was if laws were justified against a person because they are black, which there is no equivalence to being gay. Gay marriage is a whole new ballgame.

The laws before loving didn't prevent black people from getting married.

>>>>

True

Just stay away from those white women

Big freaking deal

our Society is now made up of killing off you own offspring by abortions and watching two men marry each other.

what a thing to proud of

Our society now allows women to control her own body and allows two people who love each other to marry.

I am very proud.

Loving v Virginia

They never considered marriage would be extended to same sex couples and you know it.

Big freaking deal

what a thing to proud of

Our society now allows women to control her own body and allows two people who love each other to marry.

I am very proud.

And for those people to ruin a baker who doesn't bake a cake for them.

Proud of that one too?

Big freaking deal

what a thing to proud of

I am very proud.

Proud of that one too?

Cakes again? :banghead:

We can't allow gay people to marry.....What about the cakes?

IF marriage is entirely a state's right- as you claim- then you logically would object to Loving v.Virginia- as the Supreme Court overturned Virginia's marriage law.

But if you support the courts decision in Loving but suddenly have a passion for state's marriage rights when it comes to 'gay' marriage- then your concern is only 'gay' thick.

The ERA?? The one about women's rights that never passed??? Maybe you're confusing that with the Civil Right's Act?? Still does not apply. Loving was not about equal rights for blacks. It had as much to do with the right of a white person as a black person.

The Loving decision was based on the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment and same sex marriage will also be

[The mere fact that a statute is one of equal application does not mean that the statute is exempt from strict scrutiny review. The statutes were clearly drawn upon race-based distinctions. The legality of certain behavior turned on the races of the people engaging in it. Equal Protection requires, at least, that classifications based on race be subject to the “most rigid scrutiny.”

The Equal Protection Clause of the United States Constitution (Constitution) prohibits classifications drawn by any statute that constitutes arbitrary and invidious discrimination. Loving v. Virginia Casebriefs - Part 2
]

States have always set marriage laws not the federal government. In all of the SCOTUS decisions do not state that marriage was to whomever. Every one that I read was a decision between a man and women. Anything else, until recently, was never even considered. 10 years ago who would have thought we would be having such discussions?

If the SCOTUS rules as I know they will rule, then there is, in my opinion, no limit on who marries. Sister/brother, son/daughter, mother/son. How can you limit any of those? But not to worry you will get the decision you desire and the country will continue its fall. Funny liberals they brag about winning all the battles, except the 2014 mid-terms, yet decry the decay of the country as the fault of the rightwing. Takes a whole lot of denial to do so.

In your opinion?? You opinion does not make any sense. Marriage equality means gay couples enjoying the same rights as heterosexual couples within the same limits and parameters of the law. If you want to marry your mother you're welcome to go to court or try to get legislation passed to allow it. The state would have to articulate a compelling government interest in denying you the right to marry your mother ( or father) I think that, unlike in the case of SSM, they just may be able to do that.

Big freaking deal

what a thing to proud of

I am very proud.

Proud of that one too?

I am very proud that we live in a country that has laws that prohibit discrimination based upon race, religion, gender, national origin- and in some cases- sexual orientation.

I believe business's should follow the law- even if they are owned by Christians.

Loving v Virginia

They never considered marriage would be extended to same sex couples and you know it.

Of course not- because that was no the question before the court.
Nor did the Supreme court consider whether they would extend marriage to prisoners, or couples who owe child support- those all were decided after Loving v. Virginia.

Now the Court is deciding whether the right to marry extends to same gender couples.

I think it does- and I think the Supreme Court will agree.

Sorry, wrong. In both cases the definition is being changed. Prior to Loving, it was defined as being between two people of the same race. Until now, it was defined as between two people of the opposite gender. In any case, it just semantics. The fact is that the states have failed pathetically to come up with a compelling government interest or even a rational basis to deny marriage equality. It is about to be OVER

Forum List

Back