President seeks to get rid of all nuclear weapons

“It is my fervent goal and hope…that we will some day no longer have to rely on nuclear weapons to deter aggression and assure world peace. To that end the United States is now engaged in a serious and sustained effort to negotiate major reductions in levels of offensive nuclear weapons with the ultimate goal of eliminating these weapons from the face of the earth"

Well said Mr President!

How about some context? When did he say that and who was he talking to. I noticed you didn't provide a link.

Google

So you refuse to ad context. Typical. How about he said this while we were in the midst of a nuclear arms race with the Soviet Union. Obama has the same rhetoric today, where it has become meaningless and outdated.

This is an open message board

You are free to challenge my quote from Reagan or add additional context. I am under no obligation to do so
You violated forum rules by not quoting the source.
Of course you've been reported.
Probably several times over.
If you think you're going to get away with this clever little move, think again.
It is my hope every single intelligent USMB member places you on ignore.
Looks like I have been reported to the internet police

I thought trolling wasn't allowed in politics. This is the definition of trolling.
Two MORONS disagree with me and red x the post.

Posting with the intent to irritate others is the textbook definition of trolling. LiberalMedia and Ludnut are too stupid to recognize it.

Rightwinger CLEARLY created a misleading thread with the intent to troll the right.

Why the fuck are the god damn rules not applicable to him? If this were my thread it would have been deleted like so many have been.

Different set of rules for Obama's cock suckers apparently

All while the world burns.

This is like saying during a riot where looting is rampant, that I am going to remove My front door and take My dog for a walk.

Well said?

It is scary that people will say this knowing the state of the world and humanity at this time.

This, more than anything else, is a good enough reason to demand his transcripts because I have a hard time believing such a person could have attended a University, let alone having earned a degree.

Uh, @Darkwind, why are you demanding Reagan's transcripts?

The quote that upset you was not from Obama. It was from Reagan.

“It is my fervent goal and hope…that we will some day no longer have to rely on nuclear weapons to deter aggression and assure world peace. To that end the United States is now engaged in a serious and sustained effort to negotiate major reductions in levels of offensive nuclear weapons with the ultimate goal of eliminating these weapons from the face of the earth"

Well said Mr President!
he wants to get rid of all nukes, something that will never happen, but he can't not re-sign the Patriot Act.

yea, well said poser

If you think you're going to get away with this clever little move, think again.

Actually, he broke no rules. A quote from a president can be reported in thousands of sources, and besides, ever heard of "google"?

It is interesting to note how much RWNJs idolize Ronald Reagan, but when it comes to knowing many of the things he said, things that were absolute trademarks of his administration, they are completely ignorant.

Oh, and your butthurt is truly fun to watch. Righties can dish it out, but they cannot take it.

Now, back to the quote of the OP, you can find the many Reagan anti-nuclear quotes here:

Ronald Reagan Quotes on Nuclear Weapons The Reagan Vision

The one that Rightwinger posted was spoken by President Reagan in October, 1986, shortly before the 1986 mid-term elections.

And here is the one major quote from Reagan, from his second inaugural:

"We seek the total elimination one day of nuclear weapons from the Earth".

His SECOND INAUGURAL ADDRESS.

Why do you hate Ronald Reagan so much?

Well said Mr President!
lmao, this putz is powerless in the usa. like he is going to have an impact globally.

Uh, @Spoonman - that quote is not from Obama.

It is from Reagan.

Why did you call Reagan a "putz"? I thought you liked Reagan.

Well said Mr President!

How about some context? When did he say that and who was he talking to. I noticed you didn't provide a link.

Google

So you refuse to ad context. Typical. How about he said this while we were in the midst of a nuclear arms race with the Soviet Union. Obama has the same rhetoric today, where it has become meaningless and outdated.

You are free to challenge my quote from Reagan or add additional context. I am under no obligation to do so

:thup:

The President went on to say...

I can’t believe that this world can go on beyond our generation and on down to succeeding generations with this kind of weapon on both sides poised at each other without someday some fool or some maniac or some accident triggering the kind of war that is the end of the line for all of us. And I just think of what a sigh of relief would go up from everyone on this earth if someday–and this is what I have–my hope, way in the back of my head–is that if we start down the road to reduction, maybe one day in doing that, somebody will say, ‘Why not all the way? Let’s get rid of all these things’.”

Finally, a president who gets it
Did you cry when he spoke? Every President since Ike has talked about the danger of nuclear stockpiles. Big whoop. Never going to get rid of them. Only Mondale was dumb enough to make it the centerpiece of his 1984 campaign.

Well said Mr President!
he wants to get rid of all nukes, something that will never happen, but he can't not re-sign the Patriot Act.

yea, well said poser

Uh, @Two Thumbs -you do realize which President said that, right?

It was Ronald Reagan.

I thought you liked Reagan.

Why did you call Ronald Reagan a "poser"?

Tsk, tsk...

Meanwhile more and more countries acquire more of them......is this guy connected to reality at all?
This shows how connected to reality. You probably think that more nukes are the answer just as gun nuts think that more guns are the answer to gun violence.

The President went on to say...

I can’t believe that this world can go on beyond our generation and on down to succeeding generations with this kind of weapon on both sides poised at each other without someday some fool or some maniac or some accident triggering the kind of war that is the end of the line for all of us. And I just think of what a sigh of relief would go up from everyone on this earth if someday–and this is what I have–my hope, way in the back of my head–is that if we start down the road to reduction, maybe one day in doing that, somebody will say, ‘Why not all the way? Let’s get rid of all these things’.”

Finally, a president who gets it
Did you cry when he spoke? Every President since Ike has talked about the danger of nuclear stockpiles. Big whoop. Never going to get rid of them. Only Mondale was dumb enough to make it the centerpiece of his 1984 campaign.

@Bush92 - the president quoted was REAGAN, your idol.

And REAGAN made it an absolute centerpiece of HIS 1984 re-election campaign.

So, you think Reagan was dumb?

I though you liked Reagan.

:lol:

I thought trolling wasn't allowed in politics. This is the definition of trolling.
Two MORONS disagree with me and red x the post.

Posting with the intent to irritate others is the textbook definition of trolling. LiberalMedia and Ludnut are too stupid to recognize it.

Rightwinger CLEARLY created a misleading thread with the intent to troll the right.

Why the fuck are the god damn rules not applicable to him? If this were my thread it would have been deleted like so many have been.

Different set of rules for Obama's cock suckers apparently

No, he didn't. You are just butthurt because you are so ignorant of what Ronald Reagan said during his 8 year administration that you didn't recognize it. I, a Leftie, on the other hand, recognized it immediately.

He did not attribute the quote to President Obama. His title merely says:

President seeks to get rid of all nuclear weapons

He also did not write "The President" - which usually indicates the current sitting President.

He also congratulated "Mr. President" at the end of the OP - something many have done for former Presidents. You see it all the time in the news.

We've had 12 presidents since the advent of the nuclear age. Any one of the 12 of them could have said it. Use your brain instead of getting all butthurt.

I just love watching RWNJ ignorance in action. Delish.

Well said Mr President!

Google

Looks like I have been reported to the internet police

Yes, yes, yes, raging Righties hate the nanny state, except when they are butthurt, and then they want that nanny state, G-ddammit!!!

Now, back to your informative OP: here is some high praise of Reagan's nuclear policy from the Heritage Foundation:

President Reagan s Legacy and U.S. Nuclear Weapons Policy

Many views that Reagan held in the mid-1940s changed as he evolved from liberal Democrat to conservative Republican. But he never abandoned his hatred of nuclear weapons and his desire to eliminate them. Reagan's "dream," as he himself described it, was "a world free of nuclear weapons." He pursued that dream as a personal mission...

He continued to pursue his goal of nuclear abolition. Reagan's dream of a nuclear-free world protected by an internationalized missile defense is, of course, unrealized. Yet he and Gorbachev signed the INF Treaty in 1987, which eliminated an entire category of nuclear weapons for the first time, and he laid the foundation for President George H.W. Bush to complete the first Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty. The United States and Russia, no longer enemies, have concluded several agreements to make vast cuts in their respective nuclear arsenals. The Soviet Union is no more, the direct threat from Russia to the United States is small, and Russian and U.S. nuclear forces are greatly reduced. Additionally, plans to build an extensive missile defense continue in the United States. The current effort derives from Reagan's initiative, although the strategic rationale for it has evolved as the strategic environment has changed.

Reagan's approach to nuclear weapons was specific and singular, and its impact on U.S. policy was substantial

Damn those liberals at Heritage!!! Damn them all to Hell!!!

:rofl:

Mondales 1984 campaign ad on nukes and trying to play the fear card on Reagan. Laughable.

Mondales 1984 campaign ad on nukes and trying to play the fear card on Reagan. Laughable.

Ronald Reagan's 1984 SOTU address:

"There is only one sane policy for your country and mine, to preserve our civilization in this modern age. A nuclear war cannot be won and must never be fought. The only value in our two nations possessing nuclear weapons is to make sure they will never be used. But then would it not be better to do away with them entirely?"

Listen to the rousing applause from the joint session of Congress - Democrats and Republicans alike.

And as we can see, Richard Nixon was no Ronald Reagan:

Nixon White House Considered Nuclear Options Against North Vietnam

Recently declassified documents reveal that during Richard M. Nixon's first year as president, advisers on his White House staff were willing to revisit the question of whether to employ nuclear weapons in Vietnam. Senior officials and policy advisers in the administrations of Dwight D. Eisenhower, John F. Kennedy, and Lyndon B. Johnson had previously considered the possibility of using nuclear weapons to deal with military crises, influence negotiations, or terminate conflicts, but their deliberations had come to naught because of a deeply ingrained "nuclear taboo." ..

...Kissinger and his staff had begun by at least early July to develop contingency military plans under the codename "Duck Hook" (a term probably borrowed from golf parlance). To evaluate the secret plans prepared by members of the Joint Staff in Washington and military planners in Saigon, Kissinger set up a special NSC staff planning committee dubbed the "September Group" (aka "contingency group"). "I refuse to believe that a little fourth-rate power like North Vietnam does not have a breaking point," Kissinger confessed. "It shall be the assignment of this group to examine the option of a savage, decisive blow against North Vietnam. You start without any preconceptions at all." The president, he told them, wanted a "military plan designed for maximum impact on the enemy's military capability" in order to "force a rapid conclusion" to the war. (Note 4)

Nope. Nixon was no peacenik. Reagan was. I like Reagan. Always liked him.

Yepp, Richard Nixon was definitely no Ronald Reagan.

Richard Nixon planned nuclear strike on North Korea - Telegraph

The United States drew up plans for a tactical nuclear strike against North Korea in 1969, but quickly stepped back from the brink fearing it would trigger an all-out war, newly declassified documents in Washington have shown.

The planned strike saw US bomber pilots being put on high alert following the North's shooting down of a US spy plane over the Sea of Japan in April 1969, killing all 31 Americans on board.

Documents released by the National Security Archive in Washington detail plans for Operation Freedom Drop which included conventional war and a nuclear attack using bombs 20 times the size of that dropped on Hiroshima.

A memo dated June 1969 to Richard Nixon's national security adviser, Henry Kissinger, listed "pre-co-ordinated options for the selective use of tactical nuclear weapons against North Korea" to knock out 12 key command centres, airfields and naval bases.

The memo also outlined a more drastic option that would have completely nullified Pyongyang's capacity to retaliate against the US strike.

Ronald Reagan's 1984 SOTU address:

"There is only one sane policy for your country and mine, to preserve our civilization in this modern age. A nuclear war cannot be won and must never be fought. The only value in our two nations possessing nuclear weapons is to make sure they will never be used. But then would it not be better to do away with them entirely?"

Listen to the rousing applause from the joint session of Congress - Democrats and Republicans alike.

Reagan did two things:

A.) His approach to nuclear arms was not producing television ads with children in them and trying to scare the public.
B.) His approach to reducing the threat of a nuclear war was breaking the Soviet Union which he helped facilitate. Democrats in the 1980's could never envision a world without the Soviet Union. They thought it was a permanent fixture. Reagan did not.

Forum List

Back