Press #1 For English?

Why the hell did we ever allow that? ... I say get rid of all the bilingual signs and phone messages....GONE. ...

"Allow"? Who the fuck is not going to "allow" private businesses to pander to whatever customer base they choose?

"customer base"? Who the fuck cares about people who are broke and don't belong here?
Shit. Nobody cares about the people who are broke and do belong here.

And yet Japan still HAS strict rules on rules on immigration and expects it's immigrants to speak Japanese within it's borders. ....

You've never been anywhere near Japan, have you? There are thoughtful services and help for non-Japanese speakers all over the place. Major news stations have a function that lets you press a button to hear a dubbed-over English version of the daily news and many programs. Almost every stop on almost every train line across the country has the name of the stop in roman letters to make it easier for those who cannot read kanji to know where they are. Newspapers, radio programs, television, train stations, ATMs, etc. All have services and considerations for the non-Japanese speaker. It's not considered a big deal. Even small towns usually offer free Japanese classes at a civic center. If a couple who cannot speak Japanese is spotted wandering around looking lost, it is only a matter of time before a student or someone with experience abroad will approach and offer to help - not scream about getting out.

And yet Japan still HAS strict rules on rules on immigration and expects it's immigrants to speak Japanese within it's borders. ....

You've never been anywhere near Japan, have you? There are thoughtful services and help for non-Japanese speakers all over the place. Major news stations have a function that lets you press a button to hear a dubbed-over English version of the daily news and many programs. Almost every stop on almost every train line across the country has the name of the stop in roman letters to make it easier for those who cannot read kanji to know where they are. Newspapers, radio programs, television, train stations, ATMs, etc. All have services and considerations for the non-Japanese speaker. It's not considered a big deal. Even small towns usually offer free Japanese classes at a civic center. If a couple who cannot speak Japanese is spotted wandering around looking lost, it is only a matter of time before a student or someone with experience abroad will approach and offer to help - not scream about getting out.
Funny, the Japanese word for no also means lie.

No, it doesn't. Google won't tell you about usage.

Well, the fact you had to google that says something. When I am standing in line at the DMV and three Mexican men get to stand in a booth to take a drivers's test clearly MARKED only one person per booth, it boggles my poor pitiful mind. It defies logic.

Well, the fact you had to google that says something. ...

I didn't. You did.

One of our customers has a lot of Puerto Ricans working there. The guy that usually loads me got bumped by somebody that had more seniority. The guy was barely understandable. He also had trouble understanding what I was saying to him. He was working in shipping on probationary terms.

He didn't last long. .....

Then what are you bitching about? Sounds like it worked out just as you would want.

Not bitching about anything. Simply pointing out that the reason these people don't assimilate into our English speaking society is because they don't have to. We cater to them.

...we are getting too many Spanish speaking immigrants here and they can't assimilate. ...

Yes they can and they are.

They are? Then why the need to press 1 or have bilingual signs for them? Apparently you are not paying attention to this problem; either that, or trying to make believe it's not happening.

You've never spent a considerable amount of time in a non-English speaking country, have you?

No, but I don't know what that would have to do with the discussion at hand.

You might understand how illogical some of your conclusions are. Private companies offering services in other languages is not (of course, says the average 10-year-old) "proof" that anyone using those services has rejected the English language and assimilation in general. If a customer can speak English, but that is not their first language, they might appreciate it when a company offers services in their first language. They might then begin to build loyalty to that company or brand. If a third generation immigrant who speaks only English 99% of the time is shopping with her grandmother who still feels somewhat intimidated by using English, that family might choose that business that offers language services over another. Since it's not such a huge expense to arrange and does absolutely no harm to English-only speaking customers (it does NOT do any harm to them), then why wouldn't a company maximize their potential profit? The fact that many companies did not pick up on this cheap and effective marketing approach a hundred years ago does NOT "prove" anything about the relative language skills of customers before the implementation of such policies. I don't know how someone can have such a fundamental inability to understand the simplest logic.

We are a country of immigrants. It has nothing to do with language comfort, it has to do with language inability. Companies and government alike cater to their lack of understanding our language. It has nothing to do with better business. It's that the only way to get their business is being able to communicate with them.

Yes they can and they are.

They are? Then why the need to press 1 or have bilingual signs for them? Apparently you are not paying attention to this problem; either that, or trying to make believe it's not happening.

You've never spent a considerable amount of time in a non-English speaking country, have you?

You might understand how illogical some of your conclusions are. Private companies offering services in other languages is not (of course, says the average 10-year-old) "proof" that anyone using those services has rejected the English language and assimilation in general. If a customer can speak English, but that is not their first language, they might appreciate it when a company offers services in their first language. They might then begin to build loyalty to that company or brand. If a third generation immigrant who speaks only English 99% of the time is shopping with her grandmother who still feels somewhat intimidated by using English, that family might choose that business that offers language services over another. Since it's not such a huge expense to arrange and does absolutely no harm to English-only speaking customers (it does NOT do any harm to them), then why wouldn't a company maximize their potential profit? The fact that many companies did not pick up on this cheap and effective marketing approach a hundred years ago does NOT "prove" anything about the relative language skills of customers before the implementation of such policies. I don't know how someone can have such a fundamental inability to understand the simplest logic.

We are a country of immigrants. It has nothing to do with language comfort, it has to do with language inability. Companies and government alike cater to their lack of understanding our language. It has nothing to do with better business. It's that the only way to get their business is being able to communicate with them.

You quoted my post without reading it. Don't cling to illogical assumptions.

One of our customers has a lot of Puerto Ricans working there. The guy that usually loads me got bumped by somebody that had more seniority. The guy was barely understandable. He also had trouble understanding what I was saying to him. He was working in shipping on probationary terms.

He didn't last long. .....

Then what are you bitching about? Sounds like it worked out just as you would want.

Not bitching about anything. Simply pointing out that the reason these people don't assimilate into our English speaking society is because they don't have to. We cater to them.

"These people" ARE assimilating, as I've told you many times now.

I read every word.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

I read every word.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Then you ignored it, or didn't understand it.

..... the reason these people don't assimilate into our English speaking society is.....

"Our society" speaks many languages, and they DO assimilate.
"Our society" USED to speak ONE language. And a huge part of acclimating to American culture is learning English. So, IF illegal aliens were acclimating, this wouldn't be an issue WOULD IT? That's the logic behind my statement.

..... the reason these people don't assimilate into our English speaking society is.....

"Our society" USED to speak ONE language. And a huge part of acclimating to American culture is learning English. So, IF illegal aliens were acclimating, this wouldn't be an issue WOULD IT? That's the logic behind my statement.

It's largely a fabricated issue. The assimilation process is progressing as it always has (including the hysterical nativist noise). Immigrants today are learning English. Illegal immigration is the government's failure at the border.

That is NOT a true or logical statement, by the way.

When posters deny this was ever monolingual culture, that just isn't true. I am a good 20+ years older than than the average poster. I never heard Spanish ever until recently. There was NO bilingualism. I know folks that legally immigrated here from Hungary or Lithuania, but they learned English. They didn't sneak in here in HUGE numbers and try to subvert the preexisting culture and pretend that was normal.

As interesting as it is that there are posters here over 200 years old, the fact remains that there have been many languages spoken in the US since our founding.

Forum List

Back