Principal who told kids not to speak Spanish will lose job

Tank

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2009
A principal who allegedly told students of a Texas school not to speak Spanish in class has lost her job, and the FBI has been asked to investigate possible civil rights violations.

The Houston Chronicle reported that the Hempstead school board will not renew the contract of middle school principal Amy Lacey, who has been on administrative leave since December after reportedly saying over the school's intercom that students were not to speak Spanish on campus.

Principal Who Told Students Not to Speak Spanish Loses Job

The school in located in America, she should get a promotion

The school in located in America, she should get a promotion

I realize it's in America, she had no right to tell the students they can't speak Spanish on campus in a school wide announcement.

If she had said they needed to speak English so they could be understood while in class, maybe I can understand. But she made this a campus wide ban, to include the lunch room from what I understand. Who is she to tell them they can't speak Spanish while in the hallways, and in the lunch room?

If they speak english and understand english but speak in spanish amongst themselves during recess or in lunch time then she is in the wrong.

It kinda reminds me of native american children being told they can never speak their language again.

If the teacher does not understand spanish and the children speak spanish while refusing to speak english, then she is in the right.

Did that make sense?

Sorry hon..I didn't read your post before I posted. Yea. What Cafe' said.

Soon spanish will be the primary language of "America"

And korean and french and chinese and and and.

I need to learn spanish I guess. Nah. Too old now. Guess I will continue on with my pantomime...or however its spelled.

A principal who allegedly told students of a Texas school not to speak Spanish in class has lost her job, and the FBI has been asked to investigate possible civil rights violations.

The Houston Chronicle reported that the Hempstead school board will not renew the contract of middle school principal Amy Lacey, who has been on administrative leave since December after reportedly saying over the school's intercom that students were not to speak Spanish on campus.

Too right. Clear cut infringement of students' civil rights.

"Latino advocates argued that denying Hispanic students the right to speak Spanish in class sends a message of inferiority that could drive them from the education system altogether."

Don't agree with firing her but what she did was wrong. Im of French heritage, and some cop pulled me over and I answered a few of his questions about my window tint on French and he threatened to arrest me if I didn't speak English. Fuck that.

Everyone sounds like an idiot in languages other than their primary. Denying them the ability to express themselves eloquently and with precision is unfair to say nothing of illegal.

If he'd told them not to speak Spanish during class, I'd back him up, but what they do on their own time, during lunch and between classes is their business.

Principal said it over the school-wide PA. That's an actionable offense. Firing the principal was tactically sound.

Don't agree with firing her but what she did was wrong. Im of French heritage, and some cop pulled me over and I answered a few of his questions about my window tint on French and he threatened to arrest me if I didn't speak English. Fuck that.

That would in no way be a similar circumstance, of course. :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back