Principal who told kids not to speak Spanish will lose job

The principal told them not to speak spanish in class.

Thats all

If the student is not fluent enough in English to understand instruction, it is the student's responsibility to become fluent in English.

Now that's taking it too far in the other direction.

Really?

How so?

Did you take a foreign language in school? If so, did you have students who didn't want to learn the language, was only there because they had to take the class?

People have learned different languages by simply watching Television because they wanted to learn that language. There is no excuse for a kid who has been in public schools for more than two or three years NOT to be fluent enough in English to understand the language.

Yet some of these kids have been in American Public schools for for eight, nine, ten years.

It's not the school's fault they can't speak English. It's theirs.

Schools should be a total immersion of English for these students. That means only English is spoken while on School Property.

The principal was fired for being incompetent. The PA announcement was just one symptom of the incompetence.

It is a lack education that leads RWers to presume that one incident can result in a principal being fired.

I would reference straws and camels backs but only the liberally educated would understand. Our poor homeschooled posters are at completely at sea .

Regards from Rosie

It is a lack education that leads RWers to presume that one incident can result in a principal being fired.

Do you have any evidence regarding this case that shows there were other reasons?

Did you take a foreign language in school? If so, did you have students who didn't want to learn the language, was [sic] only there because they had to take the class?

We are talking about a second language, not a foreign language.

Did you take a foreign language in school? If so, did you have students who didn't want to learn the language, was [sic] only there because they had to take the class?

ROFLMAO..

What else is a "Foreign" Language than a "Second" or "Third" language?

When I took German in High School, was I learning a "Second" language", or was I learning a "Foreign" language?

Answer... Both are correct.

ROFLMAO..

When I took German in High School, was I learning a "Second" language", or was I learning a "Foreign" language?

No, only one is correct. You were learning a foreign language. Yes, there is a difference.

People have learned different languages by simply watching Television .

No, they haven't.

Sure they have.

Learning English Through Watching Television | English Practice

One of the best ways to teach and to learn how to speak the English language is to actually watch American and British television shows and some learning channels.

For those who are learning in schools which use English as the medium of instruction, they may feel that there is something lacking in their learning. One of the most apparent failures is the use of the slang and the common words which have different meaning as well as the accent.

Learning through television can expand the grammar and pronunciation horizons of the learning dramatically. There is a difference in saying a word if the word is said with a heavy accent.

Another advantage to watching television is the learning of playing with words. English taught in schools can be very rigid and sometimes the words are straight out of the book and may sound funny to American ears. Americans have a tendency to cut short their sentences and they also love to use acronyms and make it sound like they are real words. These can be confusing to a learner and sometimes the confusion can lead them to say the wrong things at the wrong time.

There are also some words that are not found in the dictionary that the learners use, slang words are fairly common and these can be heard used in their proper context on television – this includes movies, talk shows, etc

ROFLMAO..

No, only one is correct. You were learning a foreign language. Yes, there is a difference.

ROFLMAO..

And it was a "Second" language to me... And when I was living in Germany, I learned some Italian, French, Russian, and Greek. Not as "Second" languages.. though.

ROFLMAO..

ROFLMAO..

And it was a "Second" language to me... .

Not if you were learning it in the US. If you studied it in Germany, then you were studying a second language.

CaféAuLait;8807988 said:
The school in located in America, she should get a promotion

I realize it's in America, she had no right to tell the students they can't speak Spanish on campus in a school wide announcement.

If she had said they needed to speak English so they could be understood while in class, maybe I can understand. But she made this a campus wide ban, to include the lunch room from what I understand. Who is she to tell them they can't speak Spanish while in the hallways, and in the lunch room?

I find the liberal mindset to be somewhat confusing. If a person is asked to cover up at Planet Fitness the liberal left will say that the policy is there so other do not feel intimidated.

Yet, I seriously doubt they think speaking Spanish would be intimidating to those who don't. Ever been in a room where you didn't know what the people were saying? This is America, speak English. There are lots of Spanish speaking countries to which they can move.

CaféAuLait;8807988 said:
The school in located in America, she should get a promotion

I realize it's in America, she had no right to tell the students they can't speak Spanish on campus in a school wide announcement.

If she had said they needed to speak English so they could be understood while in class, maybe I can understand. But she made this a campus wide ban, to include the lunch room from what I understand. Who is she to tell them they can't speak Spanish while in the hallways, and in the lunch room?

I find the liberal mindset to be somewhat confusing. If a person is asked to cover up at Planet Fitness the liberal left will say that the policy is there so other do not feel intimidated.

Yet, I seriously doubt they think speaking Spanish would be intimidating to those who don't. Ever been in a room where you didn't know what the people were saying? This is America, speak English. There are lots of Spanish speaking countries to which they can move.

People can speak whatever language they want in America. It's America. If you feel intimidated because you can't eavesdrop on other people's conversations, that is a an insecurity issue you need to work out. However, the inside of a school has long been recognized as being something other than 'the public square.' The minors therein are subject to rules and restrictions that they would not be in other circumstances, and which would not be applicable to adults.

The students want to speak spanish because they are anti-American

Forum List

Back