Principal who told kids not to speak Spanish will lose job

Watch the hate these kids have for America:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17hvPhRf9ik]Texas Principal Bans Hispanic Students From Speaking Spanish To 'Prevent Disruptions' - YouTube[/ame]

I'm all in favor of making English the official language. However, I disagree with what the principal did. Denying a citizen the right of free speech in their native language is a clear violation of civil rights.

Last edited:
I'm all in favor of making English the official language. However, I disagree with what the principle did. Denying a citizen the right of free speech in their native language is a clear violation of civil rights.
Just while they are in class

Other countries teach their children languages other than their own.

OTOH, other countries want their people to be able to compete on the world stage whereas, frightened little Republicans just Americans trained to flip burgers and clean toilets. They'll just keep hiring real talent from those backward backward, multilingual countries who invest in their own people.

Ever notice how its always those in the most need of education that are also the most adamantly against it?

Pot Calling The Kettle Stupid?
slide_241322_1547357_free.jpg

'Your WHAT is In America'?
slide_241322_1290485_free.jpg

Casa D'Irony ...
slide_241322_1547133_free.jpg

Well, actually, there's at least one exception. And, note the mayor's Native American name. LOL
slide_241322_1290487_free.jpg

Does underlining make make it better?
slide_241322_1290503_free.jpg

Most of us learned the difference between our/are in the first grade. Not so with tee potty types.
slide_241322_1290543_free.jpg

You're vs your with bonus comma confusion.
slide_241322_1547405_free.jpg

At least they spelled "our" correctly.
slide_241322_1290569_free.jpg

What's with our unnecessary use of quotation marks?
slide_241322_1547074_free.jpg

What the hell does "amnety" mean?
slide_241322_1553023_free.jpg

I'm all in favor of making English the official language. However, I disagree with what the principle did. Denying a citizen the right of free speech in their native language is a clear violation of civil rights.
Just while they are in class
Provided they can speak any way they want while in the hallway, cafeteria, at recess or any other place outside the classroom. This of course excludes profanity.

It is a lack education that leads RWers to presume that one incident can result in a principal being fired.

Do you have any evidence regarding this case that shows there were other reasons?

Silly, irrelevant question.

http://www.khou.com/news/neighborhood-news/Hempstead-ISD-votes-to-end-contract-of-principal-who-announced-no-Spanish-policy-250851351.html

She was not fired. She was not retained. If not under a continuing contract, the School Board doesn't have to give any reason.

The vandalism by her supporters could have had something to do with it, too.That is evidence of problems because of her.

She was too much trouble to be worth a rehire, obviously.

Regards from Rosie

Last edited:
I'm all in favor of making English the official language. However, I disagree with what the principal did. Denying a citizen the right of free speech in their native language is a clear violation of civil rights.

The inside of a school has long been recognized as being something other than 'the public square.' The minors therein are subject to rules and restrictions that they would not be in other circumstances, and which would not be applicable to adults.

The inside of a school has long been recognized as being something other than 'the public square.' The minors therein are subject to rules and restrictions that they would not be in other circumstances, and which would not be applicable to adults.
However these rules and restrictions need to be monitored to ensure that school administration doesn't abuse it's authority. For instance, they can't prohibit students from eating their lunch during their lunch break, regardless if the student has detention.

However these rules and restrictions need to be monitored to ensure that school administration doesn't abuse it's authority. For instance, they can't prohibit students from eating their lunch during their lunch break, regardless if the student has detention.

Good point, and I agree. However, I don't think requiring students to speak English while on school grounds goes over the line. I reckon the principal rightly had the students' best interests at heart here. If some of these kids live in heavily concentrated neighborhoods, speaking only Spanish at home, only watch Telemundo, and only hang around with other native Spanish-speakers (all of which is fine in and of itself), and only communicate exclusively in English while class is in session they are going to be harmed in that their acquisition of English will be greatly retarded. Their potential for success in this country will be thereby limited and delayed. I don't see what in this situation threatened to rob these students of their heritage or anything of the sort.

I'm all in favor of making English the official language.

I understand the sentiment, but...not practical.
We already have English as our common language, it's just not official. The U.S. has a long tradition of assimilation amongst newcomers, and has always included the adoption of English as the common language.

However, the main reason I think we should consider making English our official language (as some states have already done) has to do with the perception amongst some newcomers that a multilingual government means it's not necessary to learn English. They assume that the government will accommodate them in other languages. Upon arrival, newcomers with no knowledge of English do indeed require accommodation in other languages, and should receive it, however it should be expected of them that they eventually learn English. Having an official language policy clarifies this expectation.

I'm all in favor of making English the official language.

I understand the sentiment, but...not practical.
We already have English as our common language, it's just not official. The U.S. has a long tradition of assimilation amongst newcomers, and has always included the adoption of English as the common language.

And that is no different now. Newcomers do understand the need to acquire English in order to succeed in America. The forces advocating otherwise are for the most part not newcomers but home-grown lefty 'idealists' who don't understand what it is they would be doing TO newcomers rather than FOR them.

Forum List

Back