Professor threatens students for use of the wrong words

I'm pretty sure I do not regret skipping college.
Depends on when you went.

When I went to college in the late 70's, the campus was a stimulating, free-thinking, tolerant place. We were encouraged to challenge our own beliefs with the same passion that we challenged those of other people. We wanted to hear everyone's viewpoint. And this was in California, mind you.

Now, it's just the opposite. I don't know when this happened exactly, but it really is a shame. College should be a bastion of curiosity, debate and ideas, not this.
How does one professors obnoxious rules on one campus mean that colleges no longer stimulate debate? This clown is a radical departure from what happens across the country. I have two kids in college and nothing remotely like this happens.
So you're pretending that this is the only case of PC or intolerance on a campus.

Sure, we can pretend anything, why not.
No. I am stating the obvious. That this single case proves nothing. How often are you on a college campus these days?

When I went to college in the late 70's, the campus was a stimulating, free-thinking, tolerant place. We were encouraged to challenge our own beliefs with the same passion that we challenged those of other people. We wanted to hear everyone's viewpoint. And this was in California, mind you.

Now, it's just the opposite. I don't know when this happened exactly, but it really is a shame. College should be a bastion of curiosity, debate and ideas, not this.
How does one professors obnoxious rules on one campus mean that colleges no longer stimulate debate? This clown is a radical departure from what happens across the country. I have two kids in college and nothing remotely like this happens.
So you're pretending that this is the only case of PC or intolerance on a campus.

No. I am stating the obvious. That this single case proves nothing. How often are you on a college campus these days?
We agree. A single case proves nothing. An ongoing flurry of them do, but you're not going to admit to any of that.

I'm on campuses once in a while, but not to any degree, thanks for asking. I am paying attention, though.

The people who went to college WITH YOU in the 70's are now running them. They are just as stimulating, free thinking and tolerant.

You are out of touch.

Relate the OP's selection with the entire syllabus.

Have to use sensible language in a sensitive class subject.

Makes sense. Those who don't like it get to not like it. Don't enroll in the class.
Except for the fact that the LISTED words are NOT offensive.

You don't get to determine what is or is not offensive to other people.
Neither does the professor.
The PC Police are going to defend and promote anything like this.

Even to the point of this example - punishing students for using the terms "male" and "female", which is really pretty amazing.

This is the kind of intimidation, control and punishment they want on a national scale. The colleges are just Petri dishes.

Makes sense. Those who don't like it get to not like it. Don't enroll in the class.

He does......in his class.

Even to the point of this example - punishing students for using the terms "male" and "female", which is really pretty amazing.

This is the kind of intimidation, control and punishment they want on a national scale. The colleges are just Petri dishes.

Have you thought to investigate what his reasoning was?

Since I'm CERTAIN that Mac has never gone around referring to women as females in the manner we are discussing.....one wonders why this is bugging him so much.

Could it be that there are kids playing on his fucking lawn?

One of the reasons for the problem of language with gender etc has to do with women becoming more educated in numers than men. Eventually, the educated male equal to the average woman will make him very attactive as a life mate. The post WWII phenomenon of women school teachers marred to blue collar men is beginning to slow. The women want more.

Actually they do, in their classroom. If you don't like it, don't take the class.

Mac has no clue what college campuses are like.

How many colleges in the ENTIRE U.S. is there Mac and how many boogy man stories and what total percentage does that make?

Of course.....of course a grown thinking human man would have done the above due dilligence before yapping his jibs....

Naw, not Mac though. He found a narrative he likes and stuck its nipple in his mouth.

Does it ever occur to you that stories of these things make their way to your conscience via ths media....BECAUSE theyrd not the norm?

Duh.

:lol:

It's a gender studies class. The whole point of the class is outrage. The solution is really simple - don't take the damn class.

We agree. A single case proves nothing. An ongoing flurry of them do, but you're not going to admit to any of that.

I'm on campuses once in a while, but not to any degree, thanks for asking. I am paying attention, though.
Paying attention? No, you are not. This is one class. And, if you read the entire syllabus, there is nothing wrong with this class or the admonition to not use words that some in the class might find offensive. Tranny is offensive; colored is offensive; illegal is offensive. The class is not mandatory if some student were raised by someone like you and taught to arrogantly decide what shoul or should not offend others, they don't have to take the class. I have two in college. I visited a dozen different schools and studied what they had to offer my kids. I reviewed a couple dozen more schools and their curricula on line. the notion that education at the college level is some monolithic liberal entity is beyond stupid.

Yes, the professor does, in his class. And no one with any decency would not find tranny, or colored or illegal offensive.

Mac has no clue what college campuses are like.

How many colleges in the ENTIRE U.S. is there Mac and how many boogy man stories and what total percentage does that make?

Of course.....of course a grown thinking human man would have done the above due dilligence before yapping his jibs....

Naw, not Mac though. He found a narrative he likes and stuck its nipple in his mouth.

Does it ever occur to you that stories of these things make their way to your conscience via ths media....BECAUSE theyrd not the norm?

Duh.
Mac will be back with the next Fox News created outrage.

Paying attention? No, you are not. This is one class. And, if you read the entire syllabus, there is nothing wrong with this class or the admonition to not use words that some in the class might find offensive. Tranny is offensive; colored is offensive; illegal is offensive. The class is not mandatory if some student were raised by someone like you and taught to arrogantly decide what shoul or should not offend others, they don't have to take the class. I have two in college. I visited a dozen different schools and studied what they had to offer my kids. I reviewed a couple dozen more schools and their curricula on line. the notion that education at the college level is some monolithic liberal entity is beyond stupid.
Exactly.

Conservatives try to propagate the lie of 'political correctness' because they fear open, unfettered debate where errant conservative dogma is challenged; conservatives try to propagate the lie of 'liberal colleges' because the facts and truth taught in colleges expose conservative dogma to be false.

Exactly.

Conservatives try to propagate the lie of 'political correctness' because they fear open, unfettered debate where errant conservative dogma is challenged; conservatives try to propagate the lie of 'liberal colleges' because the facts and truth taught in colleges expose conservative dogma to be false.

It's no mistake that educated people.....and especially those trained in the practice of critical thinking.....lean left.

Nutters call it indoctrination. They fear what happens at colleges because they can't grasp these concepts.

He does......in his class.
Not if a student sues for civil Liberty rights. You can not arbitrarily decide certain common everyday words are insulting and ban them in class room.

Forum List

Back