🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Progressives always talk about mininum wage

Yurt, you are lying: nothing new.

Stay on OP or . . .

what did i lie about?

and why did you ignore my comment about unemployment and why did you post NOTHING about the OP?

oh wait.....i already know

Jake Fakey has kept his OWN ideology, beliefs and stances a mystery on this Board ever since he created his account. You cannot debate when the other side presents nothing to contrast.

That is exactly my point. When you make an assertion and don't analyze what you are posting, how are we to react to it, 2dA.

I will keep pointing out when you do that.

what did i lie about?

and why did you ignore my comment about unemployment and why did you post NOTHING about the OP?

oh wait.....i already know

Jake Fakey has kept his OWN ideology, beliefs and stances a mystery on this Board ever since he created his account. You cannot debate when the other side presents nothing to contrast.

That is exactly my point. When you make an assertion and don't analyze what you are posting, how are we to react to it, 2dA.

We know what you are AGAINST, we have no idea what you are FOR.

Everyone on these boards knows what I am FOR (and therefore against)

So you posted pictures.

Now interpret them, particular with inflation and prices in relation to the economy.

Oop will be glad to help you.

Is there a reason you never offer your own input, ideas or interpretations? You are notorious on these boards for NEVER declaring you actual stance or principles.

Who are you?

What are you?

As JakeStarkey said, I'm glad to help you.

Prior to the creation of the Federal Reserve, our nation had many periods of deflation:
image002.gif

During ever deflationary cycle you see in that graph - farms went bankrupt, businesses went bankrupt, people lost jobs and income. Why? Because those farms and businesses were seeing reduced revenues - while at the same time, there debts did not change.

Its very simple. Say I have a farm with the following cash flows:

cash flows in-
$5000 in sales

cash flows out-
$3000 in loan payments to the bank

net cash flow - $2000

Now lets say deflation comes along and knocks my sales down to $4,000

Now we've got:

cash flows in-
$4000 in sales

cash flows out-

net cash flow - $1000

My net cash income has been CUT IN HALF even though the dollar only increased in value by 20%. Now I have far less money to pay down more debt, invest in more farm (I'll probably have to sell some farm in fact), and my standard of living will take a dive.

On the other hand, say inflation comes along and now we have

cash flows in-
$6000 in sales

cash flows out-

net cash flow - $3000

My net income has increased by 50% even though the dollar only fell in value by 20%!!! Now I have extra money to invest in a bigger farm, pay down more of the debt, or spend making my standard of living better!

The only people that deflation benefits are people without jobs or businesses who have most of their savings stuffed under their mattress
. It doesn't even really benefit the banks, because even though the real value of the loans they've made is now higher - the default rates are going to skyrocket and more loans won't be repaid.

Ask someone who runs a business if it would be good or bad for them if on average their revenues decreased by 2% a year?

Mild inflation is a GOOD thing for our economy. When dollars lose value sitting on the shelf - they don't stay on the shelf for long. People buy goods and services with them or invest them. When dollars gain value sitting on the shelf, people hoard them and don't spend them or invest them. We can argue about what ratio of spending to investment is best for the economy, but to do neither is clearly bad!

Last edited:

I have posted this repeatedly, and the reactionaries ignore it.

I have said repeatedly I have voted for Romney, and I worked very hard for him in my region and state.
I supported Afghanistan, opposed Iraq. Neo-conservatism (modern American imperialism) never has served America’s long-term interests.
The social programs need reform. The items of food need to exclude candy, steak, soda pop, chip, and so forth along with the tobacco and booze: those are not a right. The physically fit should be mandated to give ten hours a week to the city or the county in return for assistance. Those who aren't but can assist should be found adaptive work. Those who can't get off drugs should be forced to give up parental rights. And, phased in, no benefits for children out of wedlock.

I opposed the drug prescriptions program for seniors and No Child Left Behind as incredibly costly programs in both cases and an unwarranted intrusion into education that was best left in the hands of the school boards and the state education agencies.
I support the 2d Amendment's guarantee that I may own and bear arms.
I believe that abortion best be limited to cases of incest, rape, and the health and life of the mother.

I oppose absolute abortion, I oppose neo-conservative imperialism, I oppose birtherism, I oppose trutherism, I oppose Tentherism, and I oppose any suggestion that we are individuals only and not a part of a social compact. I oppose reactionary hatred.
I am a mainstream Republican and have been since the day I went to school with Jack (John) Ford, the president's son. I have served the party honorably since I was my state's GOP Young Republican Chair so many years ago and all through the following decades in many posts. I will continue opposing the reactionaries as I serve the best interests of the Republican Party.

The key to minimum wage or not paying a living wage for your area is ....Who makes up the difference?

If you don't pay your workers a wage on which they can support themselves or their families, it is the taxpayer who steps in to pay housing subsidies, food stamps for medical care

THe business profits off of substandard wages and leaves it up to the taxpayer to make up the difference

The key to minimum wage or not earning a living wage for your area is... get off your lazy complacent ass and better yourself...

stop demanding to be paid more than your job is worth...

get training in a high-demand field and get a better job...

or use your imagination (if it hasn't completely atrophied)... look around, see what services are in high demand in your area, and open a small business that caters to one of 'em...

bottom line: stop expecting others (particularly the government) to fix your stuck-in-a-rut, low-pay situation... show some fuckin' initiative, for Christ's sake...

Last edited:
In the past minimum wage has paid the equivalent of $10. - $13 per hour in today's dollars. It was meant to guarantee a livable wage.

In the past minimum wage has paid the equivalent of $10. - $13 per hour in today's dollars. It was meant to guarantee a livable wage.

It was meant to buy votes for politicians who supported it... at the expense of business owners who had to pay it and, ultimately, consumers who had to face higher prices as a result of the passed-on costs...

everything has to be paid for somewhere down the line... which usually means the consumer gets stuck with the bill for whatever economic action the government takes...

and with minimum-wage earners being the most vulnerable consumers, it's pretty much a government-initiated Ponzi scheme...

Last edited:
The key to minimum wage or not paying a living wage for your area is ....Who makes up the difference?

If you don't pay your workers a wage on which they can support themselves or their families, it is the taxpayer who steps in to pay housing subsidies, food stamps for medical care

THe business profits off of substandard wages and leaves it up to the taxpayer to make up the difference

The key to minimum wage or not earning a living wage for your area is... get off your lazy complacent ass and better yourself...

stop demanding to be paid more than your job is worth...

get training in a high-demand field and get a better job...

or use your imagination (if it hasn't completely atrophied)... look around, see what services are in high demand in your area, and open a small business that caters to one of 'em...

bottom line: stop expecting others (particularly the government) to fix your stuck-in-a-rut, low-pay situation... show some fuckin' initiative, for Christ's sake...

Common BS answer from Conservatives

Their solution for a problem that is affecting a population of people is to tell an individual to improve himself

Every member of a society is not capable nor are there the jobs to be a CEO. someone has to do the work and that work has to be able to support them......otherwise, the taxpayer will

Last edited:
Kids turn 16 and 18 everyday. they deserve the jobs, the carrer minimum wage slacker is bottle necking the whole system.

Being left out of this conversation is the SEIU being behind it, and many of their contracts being pegged to the Federal minimum wage, and any increase in it triggers either wage negotiations, or automatic wage increases. Imagine the impact on these places with the minimum wage doubling.

Kids turn 16 and 18 everyday. they deserve the jobs, the carrer minimum wage slacker is bottle necking the whole system.

It goes beyond minimum wage to the worker who rises up the wage scale ladder to a $10 or $12 an hour job. This will provide him with an annual $20-24,000 a year on which to raise a family.

Still insufficient to support himself

I hope they raise minimum wage up to $25 bucks an hour, then I can quit my job and be a greeter at Walmart.

I am SO old I remember (back around 65 or so) when minimum wage was something that many of us LONGED to qualify for.

Way back when most of us were making 75 cents or a buck an hour and only those kids lucky enough to be working for a company that was also an interstate company got paid the princely sum of $1.25 an hour.

Ah, the cushy life of a business owner.

You've busted your ass getting your business off the ground, you ran up all your credit cards and borrowed from friends and family to do so; you've worked 18 hours a day for a couple of years, scraping by while you chased your dream, worrying about paying your bills and feeding your family every single month, sleeping well only when absolutely exhausted because the business is keeping you up at night; dealing with competition every day, you had to hone your skills and improve your product every moment while juggling everything else; playing salesman and service provider and janitor and cook and security guard and receptionist and human resources director while you tried to create something strong enough to actually hire your first employee. Then, once you hired that one person, you had to worry about paying them and the associated costs of having an employee.

You didn't build that, of course, how DARE you even THINK such a thing, but it's been a real struggle. And you're getting there! Yeah! It's happening! After all this time!

Time goes by and you're able to hire more people. Some of the positions you have to fill require very little effort, virtually no education or training, but they exist at the bottom end of the business and you have to bring people on at minimum wage, even though those positions produce so little real value that you're probably losing money at $7.50 an hour. But ya gotta do it, that just goes with the territory. Okay.

Then, magically, that $7.50 an hour goes to $15.00 an hour, an absolutely arbitrary figure, and an amount on which you are clearly losing money every hour that person works. There are plenty of high school kids who would be thrilled to pad their pockets with $7.50 an hour and pretty much handle that job in their sleep, but other people with zero education, training, drive, motivation or functioning brain cells have convinced some other folks that they need to be able to support a family of four and send the kids to college by turning a lever every now and then or by finding a way to fit a certain amount of french fries into a little bag.

Oh, and by the way, be careful who you try to fire for not showing up for work or not doing their job.

You occasionally allow yourself to mentally calculate how much money you're over-paying these people for the value they create for your business, but after reflecting on how much sacrifice you put into just being able to GIVE them that job, you conclude that you'd rather not think about it. Smart, good call!

So don't complain. You're lucky, you must be a millionaire because you own a business, your life is easy, you didn't build that, so shut the fuck up and pay up, asshole.

Yep, that's the life baby, those business owners should be thanking those $15 an hour minimum wage workers who can barely fit the fries into the bag.

Last edited:

You've busted your ass getting your business off the ground, you ran up all your credit cards and borrowed from friends and family to do so; you've worked 18 hours a day for a couple of years, scraping by while you chased your dream, worrying about paying your bills and feeding your family every single month, sleeping well only when absolutely exhausted because the business is keeping you up at night; dealing with competition every day, you had to hone your skills and improve your product every moment while juggling everything else; playing salesman and service provider and janitor and cook and security guard and receptionist and human resources director while you tried to create something strong enough to actually hire your first employee. Then, once you hired that one person, you had to worry about paying them and the associated costs of having an employee.

You didn't build that, of course, how DARE you even THINK such a thing, but it's been a real struggle. And you're getting there! Yeah! It's happening! After all this time!

Time goes by and you're able to hire more people. Some of the positions you have to fill require very little effort, virtually no education or training, but they exist at the bottom end of the business and you have to bring people on at minimum wage, even though those positions produce so little real value that you're probably losing money at $7.50 an hour. But ya gotta do it, that just goes with the territory. Okay.

Then, magically, that $7.50 an hour goes to $15.00 an hour, an absolutely arbitrary figure, and an amount on which you are clearly losing money every hour that person works. There are plenty of high school kids who would be thrilled to pad their pockets with $7.50 an hour and pretty much handle that job in their sleep, but other people with zero education, training, drive, motivation or functioning brain cells have convinced some other folks that they need to be able to support a family of four and send the kids to college by turning a lever every now and then or by finding a way to fit a certain amount of french fries into a little bag.

Oh, and by the way, be careful who you try to fire for not showing up for work or not doing their job.

You occasionally allow yourself to mentally calculate how much money you're over-paying these people for the value they create for your business, but after reflecting on how much sacrifice you put into just being able to GIVE them that job, you conclude that you'd rather not think about it. Smart, good call!

So don't complain. You're lucky, you must be a millionaire because you own a business, your life is easy, you didn't build that, so shut the fuck up and pay up, asshole.

Yep, that's the life baby, those business owners should be thanking those $15 an hour minimum wage workers who can barely fit the fries into the bag.

BWahhhhhh poor you. What about us, the taxpayers, who are in effect subsidizing the wages you pay to your minimum wage employees through EITC? Do we get any thanks for helping you with your payroll?

If you didn't want your business subject to the whims of minimum wage you should have gotten into a business that requires higher end employees. Did you seriously think the government would never raise minimum wage? Looks like a lack of foresight and personal responsibility on your part.

Last edited:

BWahhhhhh poor you. What about us, the taxpayers, who are in effect subsidizing the wages you pay to your minimum wage employees through EITC? Do we get any thanks for helping you with your payroll?

If you didn't want your business subject to the whims of minimum wage you should have gotten into a business that requires higher end employees. Did you seriously think the government would never raise minimum wage? Looks like a lack of foresight and personal responsibility on your part.

More whining asking the TAXPAYER to make up for low wages so that they can increase profit

Wages are a cost of doing business. Do they also whine when the rent goes up or their supplies increase in cost?

I have posted this repeatedly, and the reactionaries ignore it.

I have said repeatedly I have voted for Romney, and I worked very hard for him in my region and state.
I supported Afghanistan, opposed Iraq. Neo-conservatism (modern American imperialism) never has served America’s long-term interests.
The social programs need reform. The items of food need to exclude candy, steak, soda pop, chip, and so forth along with the tobacco and booze: those are not a right. The physically fit should be mandated to give ten hours a week to the city or the county in return for assistance. Those who aren't but can assist should be found adaptive work. Those who can't get off drugs should be forced to give up parental rights. And, phased in, no benefits for children out of wedlock.

I opposed the drug prescriptions program for seniors and No Child Left Behind as incredibly costly programs in both cases and an unwarranted intrusion into education that was best left in the hands of the school boards and the state education agencies.
I support the 2d Amendment's guarantee that I may own and bear arms.
I believe that abortion best be limited to cases of incest, rape, and the health and life of the mother.

I oppose absolute abortion, I oppose neo-conservative imperialism, I oppose birtherism, I oppose trutherism, I oppose Tentherism, and I oppose any suggestion that we are individuals only and not a part of a social compact. I oppose reactionary hatred.
I am a mainstream Republican and have been since the day I went to school with Jack (John) Ford, the president's son. I have served the party honorably since I was my state's GOP Young Republican Chair so many years ago and all through the following decades in many posts. I will continue opposing the reactionaries as I serve the best interests of the Republican Party.

2dA asked for it, got it, and snuck away.

It goes beyond minimum wage to the worker who rises up the wage scale ladder to a $10 or $12 an hour job. This will provide him with an annual $20-24,000 a year on which to raise a family.

Still insufficient to support himself

Where I live 24k a year is enough.

Forum List

Back