Protests in Syria

From Aleppo:

New-Town is relatively quiet;
in Salakh-al-Din Syrian Army is conducting "cleansing" operations smoking out the remnants of the terrorist gangs;
in the East of the city, terrorists still have control and are making attempts to get to the centre;
in the North terrorist gangs are trying to break a blockade to get across the Turkish border;

A bit of a mystery appeared outside of the city (between Aleppo and Turkey) in a form of a group of "freedom fighters"; it's not yet known how numerous it is, and there is a strong suspicion that it may be Turkish regular military masquerading as "freedom fighters". They have tanks and infantry combat vehicles.

picture.jpg

How news are made:
Le Journal du Siecle:
Bloggers caught Austrian leading newspaper Die Kronen Zeitung in using photo-shop to spice-up their report from Syria on the 28 of July. (first picture)

The original photo was found in the photo archives of EPA dated 26 of July (second picture)

Leon Panetta, U.S. Defense Chief, Says Syria Military Must Remain Intact When Bashar al-Assad Is Ousted

r-BASHAR-ALASSAD-SYRIA-large570.jpg

WASHINGTON, July 30 (Reuters) - Government forces in Syria should be held together when President Bashar al-Assad is forced from power, the U.S. defense secretary said on Monday, warning that the mistakes of the Iraq war must not be repeated.

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, in an interview with CNN during a visit to Tunisia, said maintaining stability in Syria would be important under any scenario that sees Assad leave power.

"I think it's important when Assad leaves, and he will leave, to try to preserve stability in that country," Panetta said.

"The best way to preserve that kind of stability is to maintain as much of the military and police as you can, along with security forces, and hope that they will transition to a democratic form of government. That's the key."

The Bush administration's decision to disband Iraqi security forces, made shortly after the U.S.-led invasion in 2003, was an important catalyst for the bloody civil war that followed.

Critics said that decision, made by senior Pentagon officials and announced by the head of the U.S. occupation authority at the time, Paul Bremer, set loose tens of thousands of armed, disaffected young men.

Asked whether security forces should remain intact in a post-Assad Syria, or whether they should be disbanded as they were in Iraq, Panetta said it was "very important that we don't make the same mistakes we made in Iraq."

Clashes rage between rebel fighters and government forces in Syria as the country's divided opposition seeks to oust Assad in a 16-month-old revolt that shows no signs of nearing a conclusion.

Government forces have been pounding rebels with tanks and air strikes, and last week Damascus threatened to use chemical weapons if foreign countries intervened in the conflict.

The Obama administration has said it is stepping up assistance to Syrian opposition members, although the support has remained limited to non-lethal equipment.

There are concerns, however, about what might follow Assad in a strategically positioned country rife with religious and ethnic tensions.

Leon Panetta, U.S. Defense Chief, Says Syria Military Must Remain Intact When Bashar al-Assad Is Ousted

Russian, Chinese and (allegedly) Iranian transports and warships are heading for Syria...

Israelis are suggesting US and Turkey are planning a "limited intervention" into Syria with a view of creating a buffer zone that can be used for terrorist groups. If that is so, Erdogan is more stupid then he looks...

Libya rebels move onto Syrian battlefield

120727023606-syria-libya-training-story-top.jpg

Tripoli, Libya (CNN) -- Their war for freedom in Libya may be over, but almost a year after they won the battle for the Libyan capital, a group of fighters have a new battlefield: Syria.

Under the command of one of Libya's most well known rebel commanders, Al-Mahdi al-Harati, more than 30 Libyan fighters have made their way into Syria to support the Free Syrian Army rebels in their war against President Bashar al-Assad's regime.

Al-Harati, who commanded the Tripoli Revolutionary brigade -- which was the first group of rebels to enter the Libyan capital last August -- has been in Syria for months leading some of his former men and Syrian military defectors who have joined his "Liwaa al-Umma" or "The Banner of the Nation" brigade.

Recent YouTube videos show at least two different Syrian rebel factions announcing that they are part of the Liwa al-Umma.

Al-Harati, who has dual Libyan and Irish citizenship, first visited Syria last year on what he calls a "fact finding mission" to see the situation on the ground and find out what Syrian rebels needed.

"After many Syrians approached me asking for my help, I felt it was time to do more and due to the great success of the Tripoli Brigade we felt it was time to act and that meant the formation of the Banner of the Nation," Al-Harati told CNN in Skype messages this week.

Al-Harati said: "With the prior success in Libya I decided to leave nationality aside and, just like world organizations helped Libya in its time of need, I decided to pass my experience to others to benefit."

In the past week, at least three more former members of the Tripoli Revolutionary Brigade traveled from the Libyan capital to join their former commander in Syria, two former members of the TRB says.

Al-Harati, who describes himself as a "commander and facilitator" says there were no active efforts to recruit Libyans.

"These are grown men with their own minds and do not need convincing about this cause," Al-Harati said.

Libya rebels move onto Syrian battlefield - CNN.com

There is little doubt that the US is actively aiding Al Quaeda in Syria just as the US aided Al Quaeda in Libya and in Egypt.

We have officially become the bad guys.

Tens of Thousands Flee Syria’s Largest City

syria-photo.jpg

(BUKULMEZ, Turkey) — Smoking a cigarette outside a Turkish hospital near the Syrian border, a man in a gray gown and flip-flops held his sleeping 2-year-old daughter, Aya. On Aya’s right eye was a bandage. In her left hand was a chocolate bar.

Aya lost her eye when she was struck by shrapnel from a shell that also killed her 8-month-old brother, Mohammad, and their mother. The father and daughter were among some 200,000 people who the U.N. said late Sunday have fled Syria’s largest city, Aleppo, during days of clashes between rebels and the military.

Aleppo residents, some severely wounded, are packing up belongings and loading them onto cars, trucks and even motorcycles to seek temporary shelter in rural villages and schools outside the city and dusty tents across the border in Turkey.

In interviews with The Associated Press, refugees described a city besieged by government troops and beset by incessant shelling. Food supplies and gasoline are running low and black market prices for everyday staples are soaring.

As the violence intensified, the country’s most senior diplomat in London defected. Charge d’affaires Khaled al-Ayoubi is the latest in a string of high-profile diplomats to abandon President Bashar Assad’s regime over a crackdown that, according to rights activists, has killed more than 19,000 people since March 2011.

The battle for Aleppo, a city of 3 million that was once a bastion of support for Assad, is critical for both the regime and the opposition. Its fall would give the opposition a major strategic victory with a stronghold in the north. A rebel defeat, at the very least, would buy Assad more time.

Activists said regime forces were shelling rebel-held districts of the city and a cluster of surrounding villages relentlessly on Monday, sending entire families and panicked residents fleeing. Many went to Turkey, some 30 miles (50 kilometers) away, where tens of thousands of Syrians have already found refuge during the uprising.

Reem, a woman in her 30s who fled Aleppo’s rebel-held district of Saif al-Dawleh, was among those who showed up in Turkey on Monday.

“The situation in Aleppo is dreadful,” she told the AP soon after arriving at the Bukulmez illegal border crossing, where she was greeted by Turkish soldiers.

“Had it been merely bearable I wouldn’t have left my home,” she said.

Read more: Tens of Thousands Flee Syria’s Largest City | World | TIME.com

I wouldn't put too much stock in senior diplomats defecting. Syria has thousands of diplomats throughout the world. Less than 1% have "defected".

I wouldn't put too much stock in senior diplomats defecting. Syria has thousands of diplomats throughout the world. Less than 1% have "defected".

I wouldn't say that Assad has the situation under control either.

If the US wasn't supporting terrorists from other countries, it would have been over with by now.

Hard to say, don't forget the weapons, training and aid coming to the rebels from Turkey, Iraq, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Libya. If we were giving the rebels any real support Assads body would have been swinging from a light pole in Damascus months ago.

If the US wasn't supporting terrorists from other countries, it would have been over with by now.

Hard to say, don't forget the weapons, training and aid coming to the rebels from Turkey, Iraq, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Libya. If we were giving the rebels any real support Assads body would have been swinging from a light pole in Damascus months ago.

Turkey, Qatar and Libya are supporting Al Quaeda but using American money. Don't make the mistake of thinking that Saudi Arabia wants a taliban on their doorstep. They already see which way that wind is blowing.

Turkey, Qatar and Libya are supporting Al Quaeda but using American money. Don't make the mistake of thinking that Saudi Arabia wants a taliban on their doorstep. They already see which way that wind is blowing.

Syria is majority Sunni, Saudi Arabia would like nothing better than a Sunni government in Syria.

Most of those who defected and were presented by Western media as "senior diplomats" are actually minor figures of diplomatic missions.

The only serious figures who now oppose Assad are Tlass clan.

1. Without US none of the countries mentioned by you would've done a thing. US stands behind war on Syria, as it stood behind war in Libya.

2. US can not openly go into Syria as it did in Yugoslavia, Serbia, Afghanistan, Iraq or even Libya for a few reasons: coming elections need a report about decisive victory,and Syria is not an easy target; it looks like Russia and China realised they will be next and muddle US plans; people are getting a bit tired of the same scenario of US "humanitarian" invasions; another war without immediate dividends felt by the general populations of the countries-aggressors in a climate of deepening economic crisis will be very unpopular; US Middle Eastern allies are on a verge of their own "spring" of sorts and SA is aware it was penciled down for partitioning by US and Israel as far back as 2006; etc.

Under the circumstances, US took course on bleeding Syria by constant attacks by international terrorist groups trained and directed by US, UK, Turkey (I don't know about involvement of Israeli "instructors"); these attacks produce a feeling of instability which exacerbates delicate balance of numerous ethnic and religious groups within Syria, at some point US hopes to turn it into a civil war; EU sanctions do not help economic climate making life of ORDINARY Syrians difficult -- again, US hopes to get economic situation to a point when people will turn against their government...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back