Puerto Rico The American S**thole

Just read an article (sorry, no link) where there are 330,000 vacant homes on the island. In addition, tens of thousands live in cobbled together shacks with no running water, electricity, or sewage on land they don't own.

2S5C1239.jpg

Wanna bet these have all the utilities up and running?

th

Or this place:

01-Serenity-In-The-City-Monterrey-San-Juan-Puerto-Rico.jpg

After the lengthy process, FEMA gives money to rebuild homes and the owners don't use it for that purpose. And how do you restore services to neighborhoods that don't officially exist?

Do you think that if Puerto Rico became an actually US state, and was in fact part of the United States... you know the name of our country... do you think the problems we see there would still exist?
I don't know. What do you think?

You cannot change an ages-old mindset. It comes from the time Spain ran the place, the same one in all Hispanic nations.

I highly doubt that.
I honestly believe that it is simply a matter of economic incentives.

The exact same problem with the crap sticks of Miss, or Alabama, is the same problem in Puerto Rico. We have institutions that promote staying in crappy situations.

This is the same problem with all people stuck in the welfare system.

If you subsidize crap life styles, more people stay in crappy life styles. When I worked at Wendy's we had a lady that came in, told us she intended to only work until she qualified for welfare again, and sure enough the day she qualified, she stopped showing up for work. That lady will be poor and impoverished until she dies, and it is entirely the result of the welfare state.

Now my understanding of Puerto Rico is that they have tons of government support, which is why for example the subsidized electricity system is broke, and they don't have money to restore power.

Well subsidized electricity seems like a great idea, because it allows people to stay in low-income living conditions... until of course that cheap power can't be restored because the system has no money to make repairs.

Solution to Puerto Rico, and Alabama, and everywhere else with these problems, is to simply cut government support for bad life styles.

If they didn't get paid to quit Wendy's and live off the government, they wouldn't. They would find a way to move up the income ladder, and better themselves. This would equally cause more tax revenue for the government, which would support the basic needs of society, like police, fire, roads and so on. Of course without subsidized power, the power company (being privatized) would charge a price high enough to cover fixing and maintaining the power grid. Why? Because in a capitalist system, customers without power, don't pay the power company. In order to make more profit, they'll make sure they have more customers.

I do not believe this idea that it is simply a "Spanish mentality". Or any mentality tied to a race. It is simply the results of economic incentives.

If they imposed the same incentives in Sweden or Germany, they would end up with the same problems.
You can't compare Puerto Rica to a state because it's not a state. It's a Caribbean island that happens to be a US territory. Officially a U.S. commonwealth, Puerto Rico is treated in some ways like a foreign country, in other ways like a state, and in still other ways unlike anywhere else. But it has never had full control over its destiny. The best thing for Puerto Rica and the US is independence from the US. It would no longer be confined by US laws, taxes, and regulations. It would be able to operate as other Caribbean Islands do. If not independence, statehood would be the best next alternative, but we know that's not going to happen. The worse case is to remain part of the US in some ways and a foreign country in other ways.

I think we can compare economic incentives between the US and anywhere.

That said, I would rather that they choose in, or out of the US, and not some sort of stuck in the middle quasi state status.

However, I don't necessarily think that being completely independent is automatically a win. Depends on how they handle it. They could easily end up destroying themselves like Jamaica or Haiti.

Beyond that, why would they not become a state again? My understanding from the BBC on this, was that the push for formally adopting state hood inside Puerto Rico was higher today than at any time in history, and that the last vote on the matter only failed by a very slim margin.
Why do you assume it will never happen?

Just read an article (sorry, no link) where there are 330,000 vacant homes on the island. In addition, tens of thousands live in cobbled together shacks with no running water, electricity, or sewage on land they don't own.

2S5C1239.jpg

th

Or this place:

After the lengthy process, FEMA gives money to rebuild homes and the owners don't use it for that purpose. And how do you restore services to neighborhoods that don't officially exist?

"Wanna bet these have all the utilities up and running?"

Wanna bet huh? I was just there. No, a lot of those places don't have power or water. Great job judging people you don't know jack shit about though, asshole.

All those empty homes you're talking about? Most will be registered voters in Florida and other states now. One positive, I suppose, to draw from Trump and his sheep's callous hostility against the American citizens living on the island.
Puerto Rica is a beautiful place as are the people but it is poor. I have a friend in Puerto Rica who tells me the airport in San Juan is filled with people migrating to the states. There is a lot of rebuilding started but there is so much to be done and not much money available.

AND NO, it's not a shit hole. It's a beautiful place.

Window%20Cave%20Experience%20HERO%20jpg.jpg

search

54eb0f8e045324161a50b86065506cee.jpg

isla-verde-beach-puerto-rico-beaches-san-juan-87a.jpg

Puerto-Ricos-El-Morro-Fort.jpg

You can post pictures of the well funded elite ruled areas of Cuba too. Doesn't change the fact that Cuba sucks for the average Cuban. That's why they still have people fleeing cuba to come to the US.

This whole idea that the mindless left is pushing that there are no crappy countries is baffling. It's only the wealthy elite, self-absorbed ignorant left-wingers making this claim.

You go ask the Puerto Rican people who moved here from there, if Puerto Rico is a fantastic paradise, and they'll look at you like you mentally disabled and ask "Why do you think I came here moron?".

The whole reason people are leaving those areas, and coming here, is because they are crap.

View attachment 176025

Anyone can post beautiful pictures from anywhere in the world, and claim that this is proof of how beautiful and wonderful that country is.

View attachment 176026
I could post pictures of the people on those beaches, and at those resorts and resturants, and talk about how they are such beautiful people, and then declare:

"AND NO, it's not a shit hole. It's a beautiful place."

Would that be true?

Those pictures are of South Sudan. Over 300 thousand killed, more than 2 million fled, and around 1.5 million displaced from their homes, living in tent camps, without sewers, food, water, or anything else.

It's a crap country. Total trash. That's whole reason 2 million left the country, is because it sucks.

So as it relates to Puerto Rico, you can tell me until the end of time that it's this wonderful utopia, but in reality being on the lower income scale is not why people leave their country. The reason they leave their country, is because their country sucks.

Having a beautiful countryside, doesn't change the fact the country sucks. If you can't get a job, then it really doesn't matter how much beautiful hills you have.

I have this co-worker from Nepal. Actually there are about a dozen co-workers from Nepal, but this one I'm close with was telling me how much better it was, how wonderful it was, how perfect it was, how fantastic everything was. So I kept asking over and over, why are you here? Why do you come to this country, and then complain about how much worse it is, than where you came from.

Then the facts come out, there are no jobs. The government has control over most of the economy, and foreign investment is forbidden by law, so everyone is impoverished and poor. Great countryside, and millions in the US because it sucks there. It's a crap country. That's why they are here. If it wasn't a crap country, they would never have come here.
I have been to Pureto Rica a number of times and I disagree. It is poor but a beautiful place. Puerto Rica is not a country. It is a territory of the US, actually a commonwealth and that is one of the major problem. It can't operate like a US state and it can't operate as other Caribbean islands do.

Unemployment is about 10% down from 18%. However, the chance of duplicating the economic growth in the states is about zero. Prior to 2006, a tax credit had brought a number of manufacturing firms to Puerto Rica, primarily pharmaceuticals. When that tax credit went away so did many of these firms driving up unemployment. Since Puerto Ricans are US citizens they migrated to the US or other Caribbean island leaving Puerto Rico with a shortage of young trained workers. Now they have neither the work force to support manufacturing nor the infrastructural needed to build a major tourist economy. Complicating the situation is Puerto Rica does not have the autonomy of the states needed to rebuild their economy.

Last edited:

2S5C1239.jpg

th

Or this place:

Do you think that if Puerto Rico became an actually US state, and was in fact part of the United States... you know the name of our country... do you think the problems we see there would still exist?
I don't know. What do you think?

You cannot change an ages-old mindset. It comes from the time Spain ran the place, the same one in all Hispanic nations.

I highly doubt that.
I honestly believe that it is simply a matter of economic incentives.

The exact same problem with the crap sticks of Miss, or Alabama, is the same problem in Puerto Rico. We have institutions that promote staying in crappy situations.

This is the same problem with all people stuck in the welfare system.

If you subsidize crap life styles, more people stay in crappy life styles. When I worked at Wendy's we had a lady that came in, told us she intended to only work until she qualified for welfare again, and sure enough the day she qualified, she stopped showing up for work. That lady will be poor and impoverished until she dies, and it is entirely the result of the welfare state.

Now my understanding of Puerto Rico is that they have tons of government support, which is why for example the subsidized electricity system is broke, and they don't have money to restore power.

Well subsidized electricity seems like a great idea, because it allows people to stay in low-income living conditions... until of course that cheap power can't be restored because the system has no money to make repairs.

Solution to Puerto Rico, and Alabama, and everywhere else with these problems, is to simply cut government support for bad life styles.

If they didn't get paid to quit Wendy's and live off the government, they wouldn't. They would find a way to move up the income ladder, and better themselves. This would equally cause more tax revenue for the government, which would support the basic needs of society, like police, fire, roads and so on. Of course without subsidized power, the power company (being privatized) would charge a price high enough to cover fixing and maintaining the power grid. Why? Because in a capitalist system, customers without power, don't pay the power company. In order to make more profit, they'll make sure they have more customers.

I do not believe this idea that it is simply a "Spanish mentality". Or any mentality tied to a race. It is simply the results of economic incentives.

If they imposed the same incentives in Sweden or Germany, they would end up with the same problems.
You can't compare Puerto Rica to a state because it's not a state. It's a Caribbean island that happens to be a US territory. Officially a U.S. commonwealth, Puerto Rico is treated in some ways like a foreign country, in other ways like a state, and in still other ways unlike anywhere else. But it has never had full control over its destiny. The best thing for Puerto Rica and the US is independence from the US. It would no longer be confined by US laws, taxes, and regulations. It would be able to operate as other Caribbean Islands do. If not independence, statehood would be the best next alternative, but we know that's not going to happen. The worse case is to remain part of the US in some ways and a foreign country in other ways.

I think we can compare economic incentives between the US and anywhere.

That said, I would rather that they choose in, or out of the US, and not some sort of stuck in the middle quasi state status.

However, I don't necessarily think that being completely independent is automatically a win. Depends on how they handle it. They could easily end up destroying themselves like Jamaica or Haiti.

Beyond that, why would they not become a state again? My understanding from the BBC on this, was that the push for formally adopting state hood inside Puerto Rico was higher today than at any time in history, and that the last vote on the matter only failed by a very slim margin.
Why do you assume it will never happen?
I say it will not happen for two reasons. First it would undoubtedly be a democratic state and the process of becoming a state takes decades and republicans would oppose it all the way. Secondly, it means radical changes in Puerto Rica which many would oppose. It may happen someday, but I certainly won't be around to see it.

The problem as I see it is that the federal goverment through tax incentives and credits brought manufacturing firms into Puerto Rica that without those incentives would not have come or stayed. When those incentives expired so did the firms leaving the island with high unemployment. That tells me that Puerto Rica was best suited for an agricultural and tourist economy that required only a much smaller population. Thus you have a lot more people than jobs. The local governments trying to deal with the situation borrowed well beyond their means. Now the commonwealth has a huge financial problem complicated by a natural disaster and no way of recovering from either one.

Great job judging people you don't know jack shit about though, asshole.
We don't need to know them in order to see that they live in a shithole. The pictures effectively prove that.
Hey dipshit, that photo in the OP isn't even of Puerto Rico. Congratulations, dumbass.
yep it's a pick of Mexico..
Will this one do?

puerto-rico-poverty.jpg
That's Haiti. Dipshit.

We don't need to know them in order to see that they live in a shithole. The pictures effectively prove that.
Hey dipshit, that photo in the OP isn't even of Puerto Rico. Congratulations, dumbass.
Will this one do?

puerto-rico-poverty.jpg
That's Haiti. Dipshit.
Google image search says Brazil.
OP photo is in Mexico City.
Anyway, the thread appears to be based on a falsehood/lie.

Little hard to rebuild a homes and areas where 40% of the country is without power.

You right wingers act as Puerto Rico is some foreign nation that has nothing to do with us. Puerto Rico is apart of America. You fools should be treating them as you would any American state. Instead you constantly slander them and blame them for a situation that isn't their fault.

When Texas and New Orleans had their Hurricane there was empathy around the country that helped them. But since it is just a bunch of brown people, you all want to treat them like trash.

2S5C1239.jpg

th

Or this place:

"Wanna bet these have all the utilities up and running?"

Wanna bet huh? I was just there. No, a lot of those places don't have power or water. Great job judging people you don't know jack shit about though, asshole.

All those empty homes you're talking about? Most will be registered voters in Florida and other states now. One positive, I suppose, to draw from Trump and his sheep's callous hostility against the American citizens living on the island.
Puerto Rica is a beautiful place as are the people but it is poor. I have a friend in Puerto Rica who tells me the airport in San Juan is filled with people migrating to the states. There is a lot of rebuilding started but there is so much to be done and not much money available.

AND NO, it's not a shit hole. It's a beautiful place.

Window%20Cave%20Experience%20HERO%20jpg.jpg

search

54eb0f8e045324161a50b86065506cee.jpg

isla-verde-beach-puerto-rico-beaches-san-juan-87a.jpg

Puerto-Ricos-El-Morro-Fort.jpg

I have vacationed in PR and it is a beautiful place.

Wife and I rented a car and drove around and its cities are beautiful and safe at night, at least where I went.

Every state has slums and dangerous areas, but the worst should not be take as representing the whole island.

If my kids lived nearby PR my wife and I were considering retiring there. But we chose the Shenandoah valley instead, another beautiful place on Gods Earth.

And they all speak ENGRISH!

We should cut PR loose.
Bullshit! We stole it fair and square and we don`t like giving stuff back.
It was not stolen, you fucking liar. It was part of the price for peace and Spain gave it up to have peace.

It was BOUGHT fair and square.

Why do you libtards have to hate everything about America that is decent, wholesome and pure?
Spain had peace before the boiler exploded on the Maine and we started grabbing their possessions. It was stolen..in a decent wholesome and pure way of course.

Will this one do?

puerto-rico-poverty.jpg
That's Haiti. Dipshit.
Isnt it funny how all shit holes look alike?

puertoricoenergy_102717getty.jpg

You gotta love these asshole 'Conservatives'. Their orange clown fails 3 and 1/2 million Americans, so they blame those Americans for Trump's failure. Time to pay Musk to electrify that island in a manner that will withstand another Maria. Time to get rid of the fucking assholes presently in power.
Like the DEM Trump-hating PR mayor??????
PR was a fucking shithole decades before President Trump.
There are currently 5000 Fema workers in PR trying to restore the basic services. Guess what? The day after the Fema workers install a new water pump the locals steal it and sell it for scrap metal............just like they were doing before President Trump was elected.

Forum List

Back