Zone1 Question for my Orthodox Jewish Friends….

Lisa558

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2021
I have been invited to Shabbat dinner at the home of an ultra-Orthodox family, and while I grew up in a kosher home, I wonder if the ultra-Orthodox (as in Chassidim) have stricter rules. Would it be OK if I bring a cake or pastry-type thing as long as it is pareve and has a hescher?

I have been invited to Shabbat dinner at the home of an ultra-Orthodox family, and while I grew up in a kosher home, I wonder if the ultra-Orthodox (as in Chassidim) have stricter rules. Would it be OK if I bring a cake or pastry-type thing as long as it is pareve and has a hescher?
Check with them what hecsher they accept. Or ask what bakery they frequent and buy a cake there.

Thank you both. Would it be acceptable if I brought a nice bouquet of flowers? That would avoid the complexities involving kashrut, and a vase of flowers always looks so pretty on the Shabbat table.

Also, do I need to be sure to arrive before Shabbat starts so I can give this gift?

Thank you both. Would it be acceptable if I brought a nice bouquet of flowers? That would avoid the complexities involving kashrut, and a vase of flowers always looks so pretty on the Shabbat table.

Also, do I need to be sure to arrive before Shabbat starts so I can give this gift?
Flowers would work. I'd arrive about 30 minutes before sundown. It will allow them time to cut the stems if they want to. Candles are usually lit about 18 minutes before sundown, after that they can't do any melacha.

Flowers would work. I'd arrive about 30 minutes before sundown. It will allow them time to cut the stems if they want to. Candles are usually lit about 18 minutes before sundown, after that they can't do any melacha.
Thank you. I’ll do that.

Bring some potato soup with some bacon in it. I remember my sister-in-law's parents went out to eat with us and they thought the deli was all kosher. So, her mother ordered potato soup and she raved about the taste and wonderful things in the soup which were bacon strips. We all knew what it was and we simply didn't say anything. It would have crushed her. But, Jesus made all things good under heaven to eat. She didn't die.

Bring some potato soup with some bacon in it. I remember my sister-in-law's parents went out to eat with us and they thought the deli was all kosher. So, her mother ordered potato soup and she raved about the taste and wonderful things in the soup which were bacon strips. We all knew what it was and we simply didn't say anything. It would have crushed her. But, Jesus made all things good under heaven to eat. She didn't die.
That’s a disrespectful trick. I once had someone do that to me. And Jesus doesn’t factor into this conversation. You know that Jews that consider him another Jew, who lived and died 2000 years ago.

That’s a disrespectful trick. I once had someone do that to me. And Jesus doesn’t factor into this conversation. You know that Jews that consider him another Jew, who lived and died 2000 years ago.
No one tricked her. She ordered it and no one knew what was in it until we all had some. And, we didn't have the heart to tell her. But, you should take some LOL! Anyways, I was born Jewish and had a grand vision through the holy spirit that Jesus is Jehovah, the Son of Elohim. Of course, we are all the sons and daughters of Elohim, the most high God.

No one tricked her. She ordered it and no one knew what was in it until we all had some. And, we didn't have the heart to tell her. But, you should take some LOL! Anyways, I was born Jewish and had a grand vision through the holy spirit that Jesus is Jehovah, the Son of Elohim. Of course, we are all the sons and daughters of Elohim, the most high God.
Sorry, it’s rude to tell a kosher Jew she should eat bacon. And you’re off topic with your talk about Jesus.

Sorry, it’s rude to tell a kosher Jew she should eat bacon. And you’re off topic with your talk about Jesus.
You said Jesus was a Jewish man. So, I'm not off topic. As a Rabbi, he said that all things are clean that once were deemed not clean. He was referring to the Kosher laws. And, it's interesting that the Kosher laws are now different amongst different sects of Jews. Orthodox, Conservatives, Reform. Can't seem to get it straight? Why is that? The answer is simple. Like Christianity, Jews haven't had a prophet or an apostle for a couple thousand years or more. Kinda just blowing in the wind.

You said Jesus was a Jewish man. So, I'm not off topic. As a Rabbi, he said that all things are clean that once were deemed not clean. He was referring to the Kosher laws. And, it's interesting that the Kosher laws are now different amongst different sects of Jews. Orthodox, Conservatives, Reform. Can't seem to get it straight? Why is that? The answer is simple. Like Christianity, Jews haven't had a prophet or an apostle for a couple thousand years or more. Kinda just blowing in the wind.
The topic was what is appropriate for me to bring to Shabbat dinner at the home of very observant Jews. You are the one who introduced Jesus into the thread and suggested I bring potato soup with bacon in it.

Shame on you.

The Kosher laws are not different between the "sects". The observance of them differ. And amongst the Orthodox, the kashrut certifying authority matters.

The Kosher laws are not different between the "sects". The observance of them differ. And amongst the Orthodox, the kashrut certifying authority matters.
I know. It's weird how the Orthodox look down on other Jews.

The topic was what is appropriate for me to bring to Shabbat dinner at the home of very observant Jews. You are the one who introduced Jesus into the thread and suggested I bring potato soup with bacon in it.

Shame on you.
Jesus was a Jewish Rabbi. So, what's the problem? Authority matters and he is the ultimate authority being the Son of the Father. :spinner:

If it's from a RECOGNIZED kosher bakery, one your hosts would know, it would be OK.

Better to go empty handed than cause embarrassment by bringing treyfe to their house.

If you haven't had shabbos with the haredi before, it's a real treat. They treat you like a king (queen). The food and music are sublime.

A recogized bottle of kosher wine or schlivitz might be less problematic than a cake.

Flowers are a great idea. You can give a non-monetary gift during shabbos, but, arrive early, enjoy the candle lighting.

It must be true that you are what you eat...

Eating pig has turned you into a pig.

If it's from a RECOGNIZED kosher bakery, one your hosts would know, it would be OK.

Better to go empty handed than cause embarrassment by bringing treyfe to their house.

If you haven't had shabbos with the haredi before, it's a real treat. They treat you like a king (queen). The food and music are sublime.

A recogized bottle of kosher wine or schlivitz might be less problematic than a cake.
Thanks. I am really looking forward to this!

As far as what to bring, I decided to play it safe and bring flowers. The lady of the house suggested a time that is early enough that I know she will have time to cut the stems and put them in a vase. Or, i can make it even easier on her and bring a prerty flowering plant in its own little base.

I’ve always gone with the K or the U. For the Orthodox, would it have to be the U?

Forum List

Back