Zone1 Question for my Orthodox Jewish Friends….

Flowers are a great idea. You can give a non-monetary gift during shabbos, but, arrive early, enjoy the candle lighting.
Ah….another question comes to light then. I owe them money from a class I took from the RabbI, but wasn’t going to bring the check to Shabbos. As long as Shabbos hasn’t started, and the candles have not yet been lit, it’s OK?

P.S. The hard part for me will be after we wash our hands: NO TALKING UNTIL BLESSING AND BIT OF CHALLAH!

It must be true that you are what you eat...

Eating pig has turned you into a pig.
The saddest part is that she CLAIMS she was born Jewish….and then she comes onto a non-controversial thread about what to bring to an Orthodox Shabbos dinner, and then insults us and throws Jesus‘ name around.

Ah….another question comes to light then. I owe them money from a class I took from the RabbI, but wasn’t going to bring the check to Shabbos. As long as Shabbos hasn’t started, and the candles have not yet been lit, it’s OK?

P.S. The hard part for me will be after we wash our hands: NO TALKING UNTIL BLESSING AND BIT OF CHALLAH!
Yes, you can give them money before the candles are lit.

Prior to Shabbos, it's OK.

Prior to Shabbos, it's OK.
I got it….same as with coming in carrying flowers (or whatever). I checked the time she invited me for, and it’s 45 minutes before candle lighting.

(And I will of course dress appropriately.)

I got it….same as with coming in carrying flowers (or whatever). I checked the time she invited me for, and it’s 45 minutes before candle lighting.

(And I will of course dress appropriately.)

Haredi Judaism is much more beautiful than the Conservative Judaism I grew up with. I found it very loving and open to Jews, not just observant Jews.

The shul I attended in Singapore was run by Lubavitch, but open to the entire, very diverse Jewish community of Singapore.
It was one of the best congregations I ever belonged to.

I have been invited to Shabbat dinner at the home of an ultra-Orthodox family, and while I grew up in a kosher home, I wonder if the ultra-Orthodox (as in Chassidim) have stricter rules. Would it be OK if I bring a cake or pastry-type thing as long as it is pareve and has a hescher?
/---/ Being Catholic, I can say if I was in your position, I'd call and ask the host, " I want to bring something. Can you make a suggestion?

/---/ Being Catholic, I can say if I was in your position, I'd call and ask the host, " I want to bring something. Can you make a suggestion?
Thanks, but she would just tell me just to bring myself. In any event, I decided to go with flowers. Fresh flowers for Shabbat is always good.

Haredi Judaism is much more beautiful than the Conservative Judaism I grew up with. I found it very loving and open to Jews, not just observant Jews.

The shul I attended in Singapore was run by Lubavitch, but open to the entire, very diverse Jewish community of Singapore.
It was one of the best congregations I ever belonged to.
I grew up Conservative too - traditional conservative with a Kosher home - but the Haredi do indeed take it to a higher, more beautiful, level.

And this family is Lubavitcher and obviously is welcoming to less observant Jews, of course, or they wouldn’t have invited me. But I have found other sects very nice as well. One time my mother wanted to show me the brownstone she grew up in in Williamsburg, and we were standing outside when the homeowner asked if she could help us. My mother told her she was showing her daughter her old house, and the woman invited us in and gave us a tour. Satmar, I believe.

It must be true that you are what you eat...

Eating pig has turned you into a pig.
Did you have a splitting headache after thinking that one up? So, what do you eat? You eat cow? So, are you a big fat cow then? Do you eat peas and carrots? Are you then a brainless vegetable? You eat donuts? Are you the Stay Puff Marshmallow 5 foot man? Get the picture? :spinner:

Did you have a splitting headache after thinking that one up? So, what do you eat? You eat cow? So, are you a big fat cow then? Do you eat peas and carrots? Are you then a brainless vegetable? You eat donuts? Are you the Stay Puff Marshmallow 5 foot man? Get the picture? :spinner:
Just go away from this thread. You have nothing to contribute.

I have been invited to Shabbat dinner at the home of an ultra-Orthodox family, and while I grew up in a kosher home, I wonder if the ultra-Orthodox (as in Chassidim) have stricter rules. Would it be OK if I bring a cake or pastry-type thing as long as it is pareve and has a hescher?
I am watching the Chosen right now. Really good TV show about Jesus. Shabbat has to the most common word in the series. Don't stress much Lisa it's the thought that matters and you have that covered.

You can't take the heat so why don't you get out of the kitchen.
Something to mull over: Not everything in the Bible is about me or about you, correct? The same can be said of forum threads. Not every thread is about me or about you. Doesn't make them any less interesting to read but a good time to remember this adage:

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place, but to leave unsaid the wrong thing in a tempting moment.

How was the Shabbat dinner?
Thanks for asking….it was wonderful! An evening full of great company, great stories, great song, and great food. Very hamish.

P.S. The flowers worked out well - served as the centerpiece for the table.

Forum List

Back