Question for the atheists.

If God is a myth, they how do you explain the existence of the universe? I guess you believe that nothing happened to nothing, which caused an explosion...yada yada yada.
There is no evidence outside of the Bible that the Christianity's God created the universe. It is just as likely that any of the other creation stories is true.
And just how much evidence do you need? The Bible contains a historical account of the life of Jesus. It contains writings from people who knew him. It also contains writings from a real, historical person. Paul. Even though He never met Christ, while He lived, he was a contemporary of the other Apostles. Men who proclaimed the Gospel of a risen Savior. Men who died rather than deny what they preached. Do you know anyone who would die for a lie? It happened. Believe it.

In court that would be called 'hearsay'

Paul never met Jesus, never observed a resurrection- he presumably was told about all of this by men- and men are not infallible.
When Paul was preaching the word, he often referred to the events that surrounded the life, death and Resurrection of Christ. He mentioned them as facts that the people he was preaching to would know to be true. He spoke to them as though they witnessed them themselves. Which in fact they did.

Like I said- that would be called 'hearsay'- and even that would be generous.

There is no consistent record of Paul's writings- we don't know for certain that he actually wrote what is in the New Testament- 2,000 years ago. What he mentions is supposedly what he heard from others.

Let's say I am trying to prosecute you for murder. And the only evidence I have is that I have a book, which contains this account by a guy named Paul, who says that he heard from these other guys that you offed a guy with a candle stick in the library.

I wouldn't even make it into court.

I don't mind you believing what you believe- but it isn't evidence.

There is no evidence outside of the Bible that the Christianity's God created the universe. It is just as likely that any of the other creation stories is true.
And just how much evidence do you need? The Bible contains a historical account of the life of Jesus. It contains writings from people who knew him. It also contains writings from a real, historical person. Paul. Even though He never met Christ, while He lived, he was a contemporary of the other Apostles. Men who proclaimed the Gospel of a risen Savior. Men who died rather than deny what they preached. Do you know anyone who would die for a lie? It happened. Believe it.

In court that would be called 'hearsay'

Paul never met Jesus, never observed a resurrection- he presumably was told about all of this by men- and men are not infallible.
Would you die for a lie? The apostles died for the message they preached. No one would die for something they knew to be a lie. The fact that they died proclaiming the Gospel of Christ is proof enough for me. I repeat. No one would die for a lie.

That isn't evidence.

That is a call for speculation regarding an event that you can't prove even happened.

I don't have a problem with you believing that Jesus is your salvation- none of my business- but if you are going to challenge me- as an atheist- then I will ask you for proof for your claims- not just your own personal opinion.
It is a fact that some of them died rather than deny what they were saying. I repeat. No one would die for a lie.

It is a fact that you believe this.

But that is not proof of anything.

It is not an argument from ignorance. It's an argument from evidence. There is plenty of evidence for the existence of God. There is plenty of evidence that Jesus lived, died and rose again. You just refuse to admit it. If there was no evidence, there would not be billions of people who believe in God. Just because you don't believe doesn't mean it isn't true. Does it?

What is the evidence? If there was any solid evidence for it most atheists would probably know about it and be taking it in to consideration for their conclusions.

I find it highly likely the character of Jesus was based on a guy from thousands of years ago but the events told in the Bible are impossible and have no proof.

Saying lots of people believe it so there must be something to it is an argument from popularity. The amount of people believing it has no bearing on the truth.

You're being extremely generous by saying the Bible is evidence. There is no reason to believe it.

The universe had a Creator, or it happened all by itself. Correct me, if I'm wrong, but those are the only options. Science has demonstrated that nothing physical can create itself. What does that leave us with?
Well, science has actually said that some thing cannot come from no thing, but creationists insist that a God is not a thing. On the other hand, science has PROVEN that energy can be neither created nor destroyed, and energy is definitely a thing.

So where does that leave us?

I guess you believe that nothing happened to nothing, which caused an explosion...yada yada yada.
Actually that's what YOU believe. No thing, AKA God, created everything from no thing.

Remember energy is some thing and energy can be neither be created nor destroyed. Energy can only change form.

If there was no evidence, there would not be billions of people who believe in God.
Billions do NOT believe in YOUR God, but billions believe in Allah, so by your moronic "logic" Allah must be the one true God, if there is only one God, which leaves the possibility for many Gods.

When Paul was preaching the word, he often referred to the events that surrounded the life, death and Resurrection of Christ. He mentioned them as facts that the people he was preaching to would know to be true. He spoke to them as though they witnessed them themselves. Which in fact they did.
Paul said he would destroy Christianity. What better way to destroy it than by teaching false doctrine. Paul was nothing like Jesus!

The universe had a Creator, or it happened all by itself. Correct me, if I'm wrong, but those are the only options. Science has demonstrated that nothing physical can create itself. What does that leave us with?
Well, science has actually said that some thing cannot come from no thing, but creationists insist that a God is not a thing. On the other hand, science has PROVEN that energy can be neither created nor destroyed, and energy is definitely a thing.

So where does that leave us?
Science has shown just the opposite. Our understanding of physics is limited. Newtonian physics worked only up to a point then we need Einstein. Einstein only works to a point, what follows we don't know. See quantum fluctuations.

You're being extremely generous by saying the Bible is evidence. There is no reason to believe it.

There is much truth in the Bible, you just need to study it and separate the fact from the fiction. Try reading some Bart Ehrman.

Christ was never really interested in gentiles. He was talking religion to the Jews, being one, himself.
Exactly right. It was Paul and his followers that created Christianity and made it into a global religion and not just a minor Jewish cult. Jesus would have been appalled at the religion that bears his name.

If God is a myth, they how do you explain the existence of the universe? I guess you believe that nothing happened to nothing, which caused an explosion...yada yada yada.
Any physical evidence would do. The story of the life of Jesus certainly has some truth to it (if it was invented it would be a much better story) but it has way more theology than history.

No one would die for a 'lie' but plenty have died for their faith, just look at the news, and those ISIS suicide bombers.
Suicide bombers die because they were raised to believe a lie. The Apostles preached about events that they had actually witnessed. And they died for it. Think about that. If what they said was not the truth, at least one of them would have recanted. They were tortured, imprisoned and killed. None of them denied Christ.

There is much truth in the Bible, you just need to study it and separate the fact from the fiction. Try reading some Bart Ehrman.

The Bible might have some good information but that doesn't make it truth or a reliable source. There is nothing proving it's a reliable thing.

Suicide bombers die because they were raised to believe a lie. The Apostles preached about events that they had actually witnessed. And they died for it. Think about that. If what they said was not the truth, at least one of them would have recanted. They were tortured, imprisoned and killed. None of them denied Christ.

They could be lying and just made it all up. You need to prove it's real.

The Apostles preached about events that they had actually witnessed. And they died for it. Think about that. If what they said was not the truth, at least one of them would have recanted. They were tortured, imprisoned and killed. None of them denied Christ.
First off there are various conflicting accounts of the events of Christ's life. Which stories are true and which are myth?

Second, if an apostle had recanted would that story have made it into the Gospels? What of Judas, he lived with Jesus and still betrayed him. (His story is probably fiction but it is interesting.)

The Bible might have some good information but that doesn't make it truth or a reliable source. There is nothing proving it's a reliable thing.

The Bible is the most complete ancient book we have, that makes it a wealth of information available nowhere else.

Being old doesn't make it true, more reliable or better than other books.
Being old doesn't make it untrue, less reliable or worse than other books.

Finding a fossil is interesting but until it is studied and compared to other creatures, both living and dead, it is only a curiosity. Fossils were known for millennia but their real value wasn't appreciated until relatively recently. The Bible is the same.

Forum List

Back