Question for the atheists.

Belief in any god comes down to "I believe in my god just 'coz I do". "That is all the evidence I need".

The reason you cannot have a reasoned argument with such persons. Reasoning doesn't enter into it.

Being old doesn't make it untrue, less reliable or worse than other books.

That is true, but there lacks any reason to believe it's true, reliable or better.

Finding a fossil is interesting but until it is studied and compared to other creatures, both living and dead, it is only a curiosity. Fossils were known for millennia but their real value wasn't appreciated until relatively recently. The Bible is the same.

The thing's been around and worshiped by people and studied endlessly for ages, I find it unlikely that it has any hidden value at this point. How is it reliable?

Belief in any god comes down to "I believe in my god just 'coz I do". "That is all the evidence I need". The reason you cannot have a reasoned argument with such persons. Reasoning doesn't enter into it.

Yeah, and so many people have vastly different experiences and that just makes it even more of a bloody mess.

If God is a myth, they how do you explain the existence of the universe? I guess you believe that nothing happened to nothing, which caused an explosion...yada yada yada.
There is no evidence outside of the Bible that the Christianity's God created the universe. It is just as likely that any of the other creation stories is true.
And just how much evidence do you need? The Bible contains a historical account of the life of Jesus. It contains writings from people who knew him. It also contains writings from a real, historical person. Paul. Even though He never met Christ, while He lived, he was a contemporary of the other Apostles. Men who proclaimed the Gospel of a risen Savior. Men who died rather than deny what they preached. Do you know anyone who would die for a lie? It happened. Believe it.
Any physical evidence would do. The story of the life of Jesus certainly has some truth to it (if it was invented it would be a much better story) but it has way more theology than history.

No one would die for a 'lie' but plenty have died for their faith, just look at the news, and those ISIS suicide bombers.

Majority the world don't worship Jesus. If they recognize him at all it is as a teacher or prophet, not god or son of god

The universe had a Creator, or it happened all by itself. Correct me, if I'm wrong, but those are the only options. Science has demonstrated that nothing physical can create itself. What does that leave us with?
Where did God come from? Perhaps the Universe was self starting too? I am sure plenty of people already asked this same question. God is irrelevant and nonessential part of the equation.

That is true, but there lacks any reason to believe it's true, reliable or better.

It's not an either or situation. It is neither completely true nor completely false, same for its reliability. Again I refer you to Bart Ehrman for a scholarly assessment.

Finding a fossil is interesting but until it is studied and compared to other creatures, both living and dead, it is only a curiosity. Fossils were known for millennia but their real value wasn't appreciated until relatively recently. The Bible is the same.

The thing's been around and worshiped by people and studied endlessly for ages, I find it unlikely that it has any hidden value at this point. How is it reliable?
One fossil can tell you a lot about a organism, but many fossils can tell you much, much more. The same is true for the Bible, we're constantly finding additional scraps of scripture that add to the tapestry of the story.

It's not an either or situation. It is neither completely true nor completely false, same for its reliability. Again I refer you to Bart Ehrman for a scholarly assessment.

One fossil can tell you a lot about a organism, but many fossils can tell you much, much more. The same is true for the Bible, we're constantly finding additional scraps of scripture that add to the tapestry of the story.
There is now enough historical evidence to prove the existence of Jesus. It meets, or exceeds, the requirements for historicity. Anyone who claims that there is no evidence for God, or that the Bible is a bunch of myths is being willfully ignorant.

There is now enough historical evidence to prove the existence of Jesus. It meets, or exceeds, the requirements for historicity. Anyone who claims that there is no evidence for God, or that the Bible is a bunch of myths is being willfully ignorant.

whats the evidence and where is it

I guess that I am willfully ignorant then. However, anyone who thinks that there is historical proof of Jesus is willfully delusional. I give the New Testament about as much credibility as the Book of Mormon. It constantly contradicts itself, depending upon the writer, for one thing. For another, it was cherry picked out of scores of other scriptures by the church, which has had a track record of self serving corruption that became so bad during the reformation that they started naming Borgia's as popes). For another, none of it was even claimed to have been written in Jesus' lifetime, and another, nobody even knows who wrote much of it (Revelations, for example...and my belief is that the writer of that one was insane).

I guess that I am willfully ignorant then. However, anyone who thinks that there is historical proof of Jesus is willfully delusional. I give the New Testament about as much credibility as the Book of Mormon. It constantly contradicts itself, depending upon the writer, for one thing. For another, it was cherry picked out of scores of other scriptures by the church, which has had a track record of self serving corruption that became so bad during the reformation that they started naming Borgia's as popes). For another, none of it was even claimed to have been written in Jesus' lifetime, and another, nobody even knows who wrote much of it (Revelations, for example...and my belief is that the writer of that one was insane).
Nope. You and edthecynic are the ones who are delusional. You will learn this, eventually, but it will be too late. I pity you.

Nope. You and edthecynic are the ones who are delusional. You will learn this, eventually, but it will be too late. I pity you.

is that a threat

Of course it is. That is the whole basis of christianity.

Most believers are terrified of death and eternity. others, like my late aunt, had become so self righteous that they did not fear death. Instead, they spend most of their free time on message boards trying to introduce fear into other people's lives. The whole concept is the same as what Trump is doing. "Be afraid. Be VERY afraid".

Sad, really.

is that a threat
It is a WISH!
It's a promise. You've been warned. The fool says that there is no God. That would make you a fool. The evidence for God is everywhere you look. You will have no excuse when you stand before God. He will point out all the people who tried to tell you the truth. All the warnings you were given. What will you say then?

It's a promise. You've been warned. The fool says that there is no God. That would make you a fool. The evidence for God is everywhere you look. You will have no excuse when you stand before God. He will point out all the people who tried to tell you the truth. All the warnings you were given. What will you say then?

where is this evidence you speak of

when you stand before the flying spaghetti monster you will rue the day you chose not to be touched by his noodley appendage

when you stand before the flying spaghetti monster you will rue the day you chose not to be touched by his noodley appendage
Good bye.

Good bye.

you keep saying there's evidence but you are not presenting it as far as I have seen, you can't just bail out when you have to back up your shit, man

...well actually you theoretically can but that's not adding to your credibility

Good bye.

you keep saying there's evidence but you are not presenting it as far as I have seen, you can't just bail out when you have to back up your shit, man

...well actually you theoretically can but that's not adding to your credibility
I would reply to whatever you just posted, but I can't see it. You're on my ignore list. Have a nice day.

Forum List

Back